• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Straight pipe the Duramax??

erok131

Ok so i just bought me a 01 duramax a couple days ago and im wanting some more sound out of it. everything is stock except for a bullydog programmer. A couple people has told me to just straight pipe it but not sure if thats a good idea. iv never heard one with straight pipes. i do want it loud but i want it to sound good too. anyone got any suggestions.
duramax.jpg

I have put in a few straight pipes on these trucks and it didn,t change the sound that much,if you want it louder you need an exhaust system,just my .02.

Don't know a lot about these little guys, but the big guys (Detroit, Cat, Cummins) sound pretty raspy with straight pipes. Any restriction you can remove downstream of the turbo will help performance somewhat at the cost of being louder. If it were me, I would do a turbo back system of a larger pipe diameter than stock. The larger pipe will smooth out the sound and if it's still too loud you can add a resonator to quiet it down a little without restriction and reduce droning. Many big rigs run 6 to 10 inch straight stacks and are not terribly loud. Next time you see a big ol' Pete coming down the road with big pipes, pay attention to how it sounds. In general, the bigger the pipe the deeper the tone of the exhaust.

The neighbor kid has one with strait stacks. I think it sounds pretty good it is loud...It's different for sure. Gotta be loud in the truck....I was mowing the ditch, he came by and nailed it, I about un-assed the mower. :****:

I have an 03 that I put a turbo back 4" kit on. It had a muffler but you could see all the way threw it so it didn't do much but change the tone. My step brother has an 04 that has a 4" without a muffler and it is not that much louder if any. Neither one is TO loud and both sound really good. That's my own opinion though.

straight pipe sounds mean as ****.. and i have a 4" flow pro off my 06 comes with clamps and all hardware.. if it fits yours its for sale, and for a little extra ill throw in a banks monster can

98sierra said:
straight pipe sounds mean as ****.. and i have a 4" flow pro off my 06 comes with clamps and all hardware.. if it fits yours its for sale, and for a little extra ill throw in a banks monster can
sounds outta budget lol. tryin to go as cheap as possible.

thanks for all the help. i want to straight pipe it with a single stack but not sure yet what im goin to do so keep the opinions coming

I have a 4" MBRP with their muffler from the downpipe back and I like it bunches. You can tell its there but its not much louder than stock until you mash it. I like the way it sounds and would recommend it. All bolt on. Took me and one of my students about an hr and half to get my old off and new on.

i have a 5" exhaust from the turbo out behind the rear passenger tire, straight pipe, it sounds pritty good, especially when u get in the throttle

I have put together several exhaust systems for customers, and think they all sound good when running 4" from the turbo back and either split them with dual 5" tips or even a single 5". Just make sure they turn out to the side and not straight out the back. just thought i would add my .02

wontwork said:
I have a 4" MBRP with their muffler from the downpipe back and I like it bunches. You can tell its there but its not much louder than stock until you mash it. I like the way it sounds and would recommend it. All bolt on. Took me and one of my students about an hr and half to get my old off and new on.
This is what I have on my 07. Very satisfied.

Latest posts