• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Pics of your shops/garages/specs

Guy called back from Summertown Metals today and was asking me which insulation I wanted (they finally got around to working on my quote), and I was like "No idea, what kinds do you offer?". He said something about their low rate stuff, wasn't much good, didn't deflect heat good to prevent radiant heat in the summer, and of course moved on to the top of the line insulation they offer and called it "The foil stuff". Still not sure what that is, as he made is sound like aluminum foil type **** or something. He did say it was on a big roll, I assume it is similar to the white thick insulation I see on most commercial steel buildings? No idea if he was just trying to sell me more expensive **** or what. This was the dad that called me back today, his son is who I spoke with the other day. Said he would have me a quote in the next couple days.

Mine was the white stuff, either 4" or 5", when stuff rubbed the white off it was foil under neath it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You want the fiber glass roll. They make it with different backing. Basic is the white vinyl, then they have foil type, then they offer the same types of backing with a scrim reinforcing weave..... then the top of the line is like a woven cloth like a trampoline. They put it on the walls in gyms and such.

Just don't get bubble wrap! (Unless you're going to cover it)

Has anyone got spray in done? I priced it for my neighbors shop 24x30x12 roof and walls was $4800 not the dry blown in stuff, expanding gets hard kind.

Ah-ha! Now I know how to describe what I want to the guy next time I talk to him. I was thinking it would be double backed fiberglass but did not realize it was just single backed and installed with fiberglass side outward, then the metal put on. Cool.

d9e2d2704742966d04a98269a4b28459.jpg

al1tonyota said:
Has anyone got spray in done? I priced it for my neighbors shop 24x30x12 roof and walls was $4800 not the dry blown in stuff, expanding gets hard kind.

I just had my new 30x40 shop spray foamed last week. I did 3 1/2" open cell in the walls since they will be covered and 2" closed cell on the ceiling since it will be exposed. I paid $2500 using the guy who sprayed my house but normally it is $4500+.

TacomaJD said:
Ah-ha! Now I know how to describe what I want to the guy next time I talk to him. I was thinking it would be double backed fiberglass but did not realize it was just single backed and installed with fiberglass side outward, then the metal put on. Cool.

d9e2d2704742966d04a98269a4b28459.jpg
Vapor barrier is what I have heard it called.

My shop has chicken wire laid on the purlins, then the large rolls of insulation like the picture above. It keeps the insulation from falling over time or if you ever have water problems.

The chicken wire is a good idea.. Most of the shops I've worked in up here in MN are built that way, the ones without the wire all have spots where the vapor barrier let go and there's fiberglass hangin..

JD I did the vapor barrier you are talking about on the roof and down the sides. 30' X 48" X 14" with a wood stove you can run yourself out it in no time. Also went with 12' insulated doors. I live in Western Washington so a little different weather. Another must in my opinion is 2' overhangs on the roof.

Agreed, I worked for 3 years in a shop that was insulated but during the remodel they cut it all out to give the inside a coat of paint to make it look better. The last summer I was there it was stupid hot inside as compared to before, even with all the doors open. ::)

My neighbor did spray foam floor to ceiling. Put a window unit in near the human door at one corner and it was in the 80s inside while it was 102 in July. Freakin cool

Bought an old building that had been a machine shop, then was a granite shop for a few years. Nastiest place you've ever seen. Approximately 5000 s/f plus an office and locker room where I can shower and clean up. Before/after

Attachments

• 20160127_115332.jpg
    20160127_115332.jpg
    200.1 KB · Views: 127
  • 20161128_122300.jpg
    20161128_122300.jpg
    239.7 KB · Views: 131
redneckengineered said:
Bought an old building that had been a machine shop, then was a granite shop for a few years. Nastiest place you've ever seen. Approximately 5000 s/f plus an office and locker room where I can shower and clean up. Before/after

Is that in down town chatt?