• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Pics of your shops/garages/specs

Looking at building a 30x40 shop at my house with 2-10x10 roll up doors and a walk in. Any information or ideas would be great. Thinking about a all block building.

New shop getting close to being done and ready to start wiring and hanging lights, any thoughts on LED lighting? Worth the extra money? If y'all have bought any where is the best place to purchase some? Thanks in advance!

Re:

Cooler, longer lasting bulbs and less electricity. I have them at the store and recommend them.

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

Re:

I'll piggyback another light question. Hardwired vs plug ins at all light locations and buying plug in type lights. Seen it both ways, kinda like the idea of plug in lights, one shits out, throw it away and go buy another one to hang and plug it in. But maybe plug in lights aren't as high quality as some hardwire style? I had a plug in LED 4' light in my old shop that was really bright for what it was, and fairly cheap at Lowes.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

TacomaJD said:
I'll piggyback another light question. Hardwired vs plug ins at all light locations and buying plug in type lights. Seen it both ways, kinda like the idea of plug in lights, one shits out, throw it away and go buy another one to hang and plug it in. But maybe plug in lights aren't as high quality as some hardwire style? I had a plug in LED 4' light in my old shop that was really bright for what it was, and fairly cheap at Lowes.

I've got hardwired lights now. A buddy hooked me up at a steal. Now, years later, I find that a single replacement bulb costs more than I paid for all of the lights together. Times like this I wish I had plug-ins I could swap out

I got a bunch of the same clubs ones too. Used them in a temp paint booth. I have one in my garage and the rest are laying across my dirtbikes until I find a use for them.
For the cost they were great. My dad had got some expensive one that puts out a ton more light but it was 4 times the cost of the SAMs club ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

redneckengineered said:
Bought an old building that had been a machine shop, then was a granite shop for a few years. Nastiest place you've ever seen. Approximately 5000 s/f plus an office and locker room where I can shower and clean up. Before/after

Damn, that's awesome!

Here is my project. Bought a house and got a free 24x32 shop out back. Tax website says it was built in 1980 but there were also some other errors with my title and plot so I don't think that's right. Goofy size and layout but it's a good start. Gutted it, several 2x4's, 20 rolls of insulation, and 41 pieces or Sheetrock later this is what I got. In the process of finishing mudding and sanding it to get ready for paint but I'm happy so far. Still need to insulate the roof and the roof in my house some more. Was already wired... in conduit... had to cut every piece to fit the fuked up box locations but it'll work. Had a lot of 220 ran and some seriously big wire (#4 and #6) at one time for a machine shop. Took down some big multi tap lights that look like they're from a gym and put up 8 8' T8 fixtures which is pretty bright but I still might add more. I can't stand working in the dark. Planning on doing a lot more yardwork and clearing the stuff to the right to add another 30' lengthwise in a year or two with a bigger ceiling and room for a lift. Need to do a lot more brush removal around the back and left side too. Left side already looks a lot better since the pic from before I moved in. Not bad for me and my 73 year old grandpa working almost everyday on it with my schedule for 2.5 weeks or so lol. Best insulation for the roof going to be blow in? Only have a 36x~24 hole to get up there now.
4c7bed21fc2c747a7464ebdaf93fd63e.jpg

4734346ed6050cde38fe6736729feda6.jpg

0149ab4502a41dcf45cd79be911f6f0e.jpg

fb50a9a02c42605390f945d9a375b5ae.jpg

1c2940fb722af26f85a4d063f9caf78d.jpg

ef1efe2007fceabcae572102a6853327.jpg

ccaa7b1a115ee883088d657e8b2e5540.jpg

bb80c8be0c6883bd8fcb8bacb6ff2926.jpg

Good deal. Has anyone done a fan/ louvers on the side of the building to suck out heat or let it vent out? The eave of the roof has a good vent but I'm not sure it's enough

Re: Re: Pics of your shops/garages/specs

94xjsport94 said:
Good deal. Has anyone done a fan/ louvers on the side of the building to suck out heat or let it vent out? The eave of the roof has a good vent but I'm not sure it's enough
I put an exhaust fan in my last 20x24 and it didnt do much of ****. Leave the door open or up 2', not much happening. It was about a 2' diameter fan, not sure on power ratings, but you gotta buy a strong fan and somewhat sizeable to really pull air through. I mainly wanted it to cool the shop. A buddy of mine had a shop twice as big with one fan in the back right corner, woth the rollup door cracked open about a foot, it would pull enough air through that it felt like a fan blowing on you. That's what I was hoping for but was let down with mine.

Worst thing was hearing the louvers on it open and slap shut all night as the wind blew while I was trying to sleep. Was only about 25' from my bedroom window.

94xjsport94 said:

thats how the top of mine is over the "house" part, static open louvers and a fan with a temp switch, it moves air from the shop area through the ceiling over the house. Blown in fiberglass over the house ceiling (I have a dog door with a screen in it for an air inlet)

Eventually I'm going enclose the ceiling in the shop so I can add HVAC to the shop too (should have done that when I built it)

94xjsport94 said:
Here is my project. Bought a house and got a free 24x32 shop out back. Tax website says it was built in 1980 but there were also some other errors with my title and plot so I don't think that's right. Goofy size and layout but it's a good start. Gutted it, several 2x4's, 20 rolls of insulation, and 41 pieces or Sheetrock later this is what I got. In the process of finishing mudding and sanding it to get ready for paint but I'm happy so far. Still need to insulate the roof and the roof in my house some more. Was already wired... in conduit... had to cut every piece to fit the fuked up box locations but it'll work. Had a lot of 220 ran and some seriously big wire (#4 and #6) at one time for a machine shop. Took down some big multi tap lights that look like they're from a gym and put up 8 8' T8 fixtures which is pretty bright but I still might add more. I can't stand working in the dark. Planning on doing a lot more yardwork and clearing the stuff to the right to add another 30' lengthwise in a year or two with a bigger ceiling and room for a lift. Need to do a lot more brush removal around the back and left side too. Left side already looks a lot better since the pic from before I moved in. Not bad for me and my 73 year old grandpa working almost everyday on it with my schedule for 2.5 weeks or so lol. Best insulation for the roof going to be blow in? Only have a 36x~24 hole to get up there now.
4c7bed21fc2c747a7464ebdaf93fd63e.jpg

4734346ed6050cde38fe6736729feda6.jpg

0149ab4502a41dcf45cd79be911f6f0e.jpg

fb50a9a02c42605390f945d9a375b5ae.jpg

1c2940fb722af26f85a4d063f9caf78d.jpg

ef1efe2007fceabcae572102a6853327.jpg

ccaa7b1a115ee883088d657e8b2e5540.jpg

bb80c8be0c6883bd8fcb8bacb6ff2926.jpg
Looks good Will, I need to open my walls back up and put in insulation.

I have finally broke down and am spray foam insulating my shop which is an old 40X80 Quonset building used for grain storage. No more working in the cold South Dakota winters.