• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Pics of your shops/garages/specs

untchabl said:
Cleaned and reorganized my shop last weekend. Still more to do but it's the best it's been in a long time. Few more things to move out eventually and need to get some more LED lights.

index.php

Very nice thumb.gif

Also cleaned and re arranged mine to get the boat in for the winter. Got the green light to do a storage container next to it. Found a 53' ER and meet with a buddy this evening to get some dirt work done.
7665e941b6163169b48887b3c12b30ba.jpg

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Well I just got a quote from Summertown Metals on a pole barn while I am waiting on a solid quote from my red steel building builder. Was gonna compare prices to see if there was a drastic difference and if it was several grand cheaper I might consider a pole barn build. From talking with my steel building guy before on ballpark figures of different sizes, I figure the steel building 36x40x12 was gonna be around $24k for everything including concrete, but minus dirt work, which will be around $2k. So Summertown Metals just got my pole barn quote back to me for the exact same dims, concrete and all, minus dirt work, and it is $23,293.48. I really expected a figure under $20k for a pole barn. Now I am worried that the steel building quote is gonna end up being higher like $27k or so minus dirt work, and that is more than I want to spend. I was hoping to have around $26-27k in one totally done, wired, lights, and all. We'll see what the steel building quote ends up being and go from there I guess. May have to downsize a bit to come in at or under budget.

So in my area I found that metal prices played a huge role in the bids I got. So when one guy would be a couple grand under another, I went and looked at one of his builds.

Super cheap laced together zee channel, studs and cripples crooked and out of square etc.

The guy that built mine used all rectangle tubing, everything was square and even then he tried to pull one over on me with trim pieces outside that he cut too short.

Basically I'm saying, look close and ask questions about why they have diff prices, but that's how you are anyway.

It cost me $600 for all of my lighting and power equipment. I wired up my shop personally.

It was gonna be $2400 to pay an electrician

Keep truckin man. Prices are rising by the day almost in material costs. Soon as interest rates climb prices will too

TacomaJD said:
Well I just got a quote from Summertown Metals on a pole barn while I am waiting on a solid quote from my red steel building builder. Was gonna compare prices to see if there was a drastic difference and if it was several grand cheaper I might consider a pole barn build. From talking with my steel building guy before on ballpark figures of different sizes, I figure the steel building 36x40x12 was gonna be around $24k for everything including concrete, but minus dirt work, which will be around $2k. So Summertown Metals just got my pole barn quote back to me for the exact same dims, concrete and all, minus dirt work, and it is $23,293.48. I really expected a figure under $20k for a pole barn. Now I am worried that the steel building quote is gonna end up being higher like $27k or so minus dirt work, and that is more than I want to spend. I was hoping to have around $26-27k in one totally done, wired, lights, and all. We'll see what the steel building quote ends up being and go from there I guess. May have to downsize a bit to come in at or under budget.

I think you are pretty far off on a red iron building. I had one quoted a year ago 40x30 and it was around 35K. I ended up going to pole barn style if you will. I had a company come out and install an open pole barn 40x30, insulated roof, and concrete for $16K. I wanted it to match my house, so I had a different contractor come in and frame up walls, add windows, and do hardy board sides to match my house. he was around 8K. I had to paint, wire it and have garage doors put up. All finished it will be around $32000. And I took down my own trees and used a buddies skid steer for grading. It all adds up very fast!

Re: Re: Pics of your shops/garages/specs

NOVI FED COUPE said:
I think you are pretty far off on a red iron building. I had one quoted a year ago 40x30 and it was around 35K. I ended up going to pole barn style if you will. I had a company come out and install an open pole barn 40x30, insulated roof, and concrete for $16K. I wanted it to match my house, so I had a different contractor come in and frame up walls, add windows, and do hardy board sides to match my house. he was around 8K. I had to paint, wire it and have garage doors put up. All finished it will be around $32000. And I took down my own trees and used a buddies skid steer for grading. It all adds up very fast!
Must be regional, it wont be that high. This metal building builder is a local guy and has built shops for 5 or 6 of my buddies, just him and his son does it. He said he may not be able to get to it til Feb or March, but Im willing to wait if price is right.

He built this 30x40 for my buddy for $21k counting everything but dirt work, a few years ago. Has a 12 or 14' x 40' lean to. Last time I talked to him thats the price he gave me on just a 30x40 with no lean to, which is the difference in price inflation since he built that one for my buddy. Talking with him on ballpark figures he said a 40x40 could probably be built for around $26k, and I'm going a tad smaller than that, but the price of 3 insulated garage panel doors will drive price up a bit over 1 or 2 rollup doors. And also I got him to quote in commercial gutters, which he said would be around $500. So if he comes in with a quote under $26k I'll be surprised, but I think it will be close to that if its more than that.

Buddy's $21k shop.

b5ed7aaf2af1e765dc43a13b2db667c0.jpg

4d3d7df34e887d2ffcfb844df1f1ca0e.jpg

012d5302cb64f4bdb6081a1d2f87027f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Stuff is ridiculously high now, I have WAY too much in my shop at our new place it's 30x40x10 with 20' additional covered carport on front(30x60 footprint) and I just had a 40x60 14' sidewalls with 2 20' leans on each side and I have over $20k in it and it's just top and gable :****:

Re:

Metal building guy got my quote to me today, $23,900. All I gotta do is the dirt work. **** yes. Told him put me in line, don't care if it is spring before he can get to it.

TacomaJD said:
Metal building guy got my quote to me today, $23,900. All I gotta do is the dirt work. **** yes. Told him put me in line, don't care if it is spring before he can get to it.

do you have to poor your own concrete pad? or just get a level dirt pad ready

Re:

TacomaJD said:

That's right in line with what I paid.

Re: Re: Pics of your shops/garages/specs

jtreeves said:
do you have to poor your own concrete pad? or just get a level dirt pad ready
Buddy of mine owns dump trucks and heavy equipment, said dirt work ballpark price would be $1500-$2200 depending on how many loads it took. He will get the pad squared and flat and ready for the builder.

Builder will come do the concrete, then come back after it has cured and erect the building. I went ahead with 12' walls to get 2 10x10 doors in it for my shop part, wife will have an 8x8 door on far left for her storage room. Will get a divider wall built between the 8x8 and 10x10 door, with an entry door in the wall so storage room can be accessed from shop.

40' wide x 36' deep x 12' walls.
1 8x8 insulated panel door (white)
2 10x10 insulated panel doors (white)
2 heavy duty steel entry doors
Fully insulated with vinyl backed fiberglass
8' metal liner panels around all walls inside
Dark gray painted metal siding
Dark gray painted metal roof
White trim
Commercial gutters
$23,900

Drew the sketch originally anticipating 10' walls with 10x9 doors but he didnt think they'd fit with the way the purlins run along top of the side wall. So I scribbled out 10x9 and wrote 10x10, so its not drawn to scale to what I'm actually getting. But rough idea of how doors will look.

69e49dd4dad2a843a1218ab336d09944.jpg

Re:

Since 40' ÷ 2 is 20, and the 8' door + 10' door is 18' + space in between doors and corners, the center main rafter will be offset in between the 10x10 doors, with 22' of building on left side and 18' on the right side.

That's gonna get tight getting all those door frames in on that wall. 4" pad I'm guessing?

This is a 10' door in a 20' section. You'll lose around 10-12" for the corner beams and 6-8" on each side of the doors for frames.

9278b673c4ef03f6fb3c87e1fadbd78f.jpg

The entry door in the front wall is optional, I do want the garage doors placed like that though, all scooted to the left as much as possible. May end up with an entry door on toward the front of the right gable wall, and the 2nd entry door on the back wall toward the right, or even in the dead center of the back wall.

And yes, 4" pad. Pretty sure they form it with 2x6's and put gravel everywhere except for around the perimeter so it's roughtly 5.5" around the edges and 4" in the large center portion.

JD could you fit 12' wide doors? I have a 12ft wide door on mine and I like it, worth it in my opinion if you can make it work :****:

Probably could if I end up moving the entry door to the side gable end, which I probably will, but really don't think I need em that wide. I really didn't want to go 12' walls, 10' just looks better to me. And in all reality, I probably could have done 10x8 doors in 10' side walls and never had a problem fitting anything in there, but while I'm at it, figured I might as well opt for the 10x10's, as I already consider them overkill for anything I will need to put in there. Of course I know that can change with time, that's why I went ahead with them, just in case. But I think 10x10 will be more than plenty.

I really wanted to do it with gable end on front 10x8's on each side and a 10x10 in middle, with 10' side walls, but having the doors proportionally spaced and dividing the left two would put the wife's storage room extra wide and my shop part too narrow. So I opted to build it with sidewall on front and have all the doors scooted to the left. You can get away with doors not being proportioned in a side wall and it look ok vs doing it in a gable end.

Similar design to this was what I had in mind first, but couldn't get away from the sidewall on front idea just working better for what we need. Lean to would be cool too, but I'm limited by landlines and more trees (that I actually want to keep). Going about as wide as I can go at 40'.

499cd3acb072e994f0048cb669ae8df3.jpg

Saw this on Facebook this morning. 24x30 with concrete slab for 10,800. Deal of the century right here
50d85a3a4a4f62d401a187a4d2572ddc.jpg