• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Pics of your shops/garages/specs

I'm not sure if you're joking or not?

If it's one of those carport style tube framed buildings, and no insulation (I'm assuming) then it seems high to me.

mostly joking. There were no other pictures or details. You know as much as i do at this point. Could either be a deal, or not a deal at all.

The Luke said:
Saw this on Facebook this morning. 24x30 with concrete slab for 10,800. Deal of the century right here
50d85a3a4a4f62d401a187a4d2572ddc.jpg

This is from summertown metals. That is the same guy I got mine from, It's a pole barn style.

Re: Re: Pics of your shops/garages/specs

nealcj8 said:
This is from summertown metals. That is the same guy I got mine from, It's a pole barn style.
Exactly, they don't build metal skeleton framed buildings. It's a pole barn kit. That is who I got the quote for pole barn mentioned a few posts ago. Was gonna be $23,200 for a 40x36x12 with concrete.

That is a hell of a deal though including concrete and installed for under $11k. The overhang with soffit adds some $$ to the design too. So that's a pretty solid deal, although a little on the smaller side.

Summertown makes all their metal in house, paints it, everything. They have contracted construction crews that they use regularly to install their building kits. It is set up like a manufacturer to customer business, cutting out the middle man.

A little bit of the higher price for mine was due to travel distance, I'm around 3 hours away from Summertown, TN.

I got a quote for a 30x36 with an enclosed 10' side shed without concrete from them nearly 2 years ago and it was around $10,XXX for just materials. Concrete would have been around $4k, labor another $4k. So $18k-19k total minus dirt work. That's about the same foot print I'm actually building now except it's just gonna be one large building and I will divide it off later, that they quoted at $23,200...so $4-5k difference in 2 years and going to a simpler design, but with added cost of an extra door or two.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

The metal carport style building are getting through the roof on price. This is for materials and labor MINUS concrete and dirt work. Only 10' longer than the pole barn posted earlier, and has a lean to.

Friend of mine had one like this built, just a 30x36, they put flimsy trailer doors in for entry doors, he paid upgrade for vertical metal siding and vertical roof, there is bubble pack insulation in the roof only (none in walls), uninsulated garage doors, no lean-to, and it was nearly $14k just for the building and labor, NO GARAGE DOORS EITHER (bought separately), and of course no concrete. He already had the concrete done. Concrete and all, thats around $20k he has in it, and its only 10' walls. He could have got my metal building guy to build it with beams and purlins, went 30x40 instead of 30x36, with 12' walls, insulated fully with vinyl backed fiberglass insulation, with heavy duty entry doors, and insulated garage doors, for $21k.

He has a nice building, but it's crazy people are shelling out that kind of money for these metal framed carport buildings when they could get a bigger commercial building finished out much better for the same money or less.

c6a7d7d80f485ddc9630b9adc9a23388.jpg

if there is anyway you can man put 1 door on the back. even if you never drive a vehicle through it the air flow alone will be worth it.

Mine will be as far back and to the left of my property lines as legally possible, but I will have one entry door on the back and one toward the front of the right wall. My back landline goes at an angle, meaning there may be 7 or 8' behind the very left wall of my shop but 15'+ behind the right wall. This will leave room to add maybe a covered back porch or even a small enclosed addition onto the back of the right side of it, for maybe a tool room or more storage, should I ever need a little more room.

jeeptj99 said:
Can you build that close legally? Isn't there something says you can't be within so many feet?

I'm out in the county with no strict codes, but all I've heard from everybody I've talked to about it is as long as the permanent structure itself is at least 5' from land lines I'll be good to go. 40' wide is gonna be a squeeze, any wider or further away from landlines and I'd have to get ride of more trees that I really want to keep.

TacomaJD said:
I'm out in the county with no strict codes, but all I've heard from everybody I've talked to about it is as long as the permanent structure itself is at least 5' from land lines I'll be good to go. 40' wide is gonna be a squeeze, any wider or further away from landlines and I'd have to get ride of more trees that I really want to keep.

I'm out in the country as well but my counties code is 25' off the line. Not sure if you're pulling permits but ya might want to investigate.

You better check, cause they can make you tear it down if not built to code, here in Ft. Payne city, my shop had to be 5' off the rear line, and 10' off the sideline.

Re:

There is no code or permits outside of city limits far as I know. Same as at my old house just up the road from where we live now. I had the shop built and didn't ask or tell anyone.

There is code in Rainsville city limits, probably similar to Ft Payne like you are talking about Chad, but everybody I have talked to, friends that are home builders and dirt work guys, say all I gotta do is make sure the building itself is 5' from the lines.

I'm really not even sure which local government to even check with. I have a Rainsville address, but have to vote in Sylvania, located just outside Sylvania city limits, in what people refer to as being "out in the county" ....on a county road. Maybe I'd have to check with the county courthouse?

The guys I've talked to build houses and do lots of dirt work for buildings locally, so I figure they know what they are talking about, as they deal with landlines, codes, etc pretty much on a daily basis.

I checked with my county and there isn't even a minimum build distance from the line. They say the distance is a rule of thumb because a court ordered survey if ever asked for could put you 3.5 inches on a neighbors prop.

Though they say you and your neighbor can make a deed agreement that grants you that 3.5" and attaches it to the deed at your county clerk in the event you ever sell your property.

Basically found that if I'm city limits you are bound by MANY codes and restrictions.

Thankfully in my county you and a neighbor can still shake hands and not Hatfield and McCoy each other.

Re:

That's cool. I don't know if 5' is just a safe rule of thumb here or an actual law, but I'm curious now so I am going to check into it.

Dot your i's and cross your t's.it'd be a mother ****er to build that shop after all this research then have to tear the damn thing down

With a fresh survey from buying the place and pins still in place, and allowing 5' on top of that should be fine. Now, my county is strict, I don't check with my City (1 mile away) to do ****, but the county sucks to work with as well. Permits for all, tear it down if not, inspections up your ass on everything.

Re:

Zero restrictions where I am located, as long as it's on my property I can do as I please. Just gonna leave enough room around it to mow a strip or 2 and be done.