• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Pics of your shops/garages/specs

TacomaJD said:
My goal is to eventually install a mini split unit in mine so I have both a/c and heat. No need to fawk with floor heat. Plus I'm less bothered by the cold than I am the heat. Gonna try and do this shop right and not cut any corners.

I have heard you can them for around 1000$. They seem to work pretty good. Every year I say I'm going to get one. Haven't bite the bullet yet.

Re: Re: Pics of your shops/garages/specs

kmcminn said:
I have heard you can them for around 1000$. They seem to work pretty good. Every year I say I'm going to get one. Haven't bite the bullet yet.
Just like central units, gotta have the correct size for how much space you are conditioning. Might can get one and install it yourself for around a grand or so, but talked with my local refrigeration man and he said installed would be closer to $2k. I'll pay $2k to have heat/ac in a shop if thats what it takes. I've spent a lot more on a lot less. But I'm gonna research it more and really do some price checking when I'm ready to buy one.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

TacomaJD said:
My goal is to eventually install a mini split unit in mine so I have both a/c and heat. No need to fawk with floor heat. Plus I'm less bothered by the cold than I am the heat. Gonna try and do this shop right and not cut any corners.
Yeah that's what guys say who don't work with their hands everyday

Working on your truck, wife's ride or a rig, tractor or what not, freakin sucks in the freezing cold.

If you guys didn't put 2 doors on the same wall of your shops and make those suckers 12ft instead of 5ft you almost get a wind tunnel through there in the summer.

Then you gut the blower fans out of an old central a/c unit, wire em up 120v you can work all summer with no insulation.

Shoot then add some good insulation and you don't even need a/c in the south.

But I digress. I'm only 150lbs and work outside everyday of the year

I was coming here to talk about AC in shops lol. Mine is only 24x32 with 1 Big door and 10' ceilings. I insulated all the walls and door pretty well when I moved in but the attic still needs to be done. I was thinking about using one of those stand alone units I can mount up high on the wall and trying that out but I'm not sure how that would really work out for me. My shop is in the sun during the morning and early afternoon then it starts to be shaded in pretty well. Any ideas what one of them units would do to my power bill? I'm in the shop a pretty good bit when I'm home and don't mind running it but I'm not trying to run up a big bill either. I'm fat and don't like to sweat but I will because I'm also a Jew.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

94xjsport94 said:
I was coming here to talk about AC in shops lol. Mine is only 24x32 with 1 Big door and 10' ceilings. I insulated all the walls and door pretty well when I moved in but the attic still needs to be done. I was thinking about using one of those stand alone units I can mount up high on the wall and trying that out but I'm not sure how that would really work out for me. My shop is in the sun during the morning and early afternoon then it starts to be shaded in pretty well. Any ideas what one of them units would do to my power bill? I'm in the shop a pretty good bit when I'm home and don't mind running it but I'm not trying to run up a big bill either. I'm fat and don't like to sweat but I will because I'm also a Jew.

I had one of those Bard wall mount units (4 ton) in my last shop which was 24x30. The shop only had that thin bubble wrap insulation on the walls and nothing on the roll up door. It kept the shop cold in Louisiana summers but it had to run almost all the time. Even with it running all day on the weekends, the electricity bill didn't really go up at all.

1TONTJ said:
I had one of those Bard wall mount units (4 ton) in my last shop which was 24x30. The shop only had that thin bubble wrap insulation on the walls and nothing on the roll up door. It kept the shop cold in Louisiana summers but it had to run almost all the time. Even with it running all day on the weekends, the electricity bill didn't really go up at all.
Cool. I'm gonna start looking in to them some more. Funny to see you comment, I was hardcore creeping in all your build threads the other night at work. Super awesome stuff.

Anyone have any suggestions or ideas on this? My phone gets terrible service in my shop with the roll up door closed. I leave it open so i can stream music or BS on my phone every once in a while. Same goes for radio reception for my stereo. Any kind of signal boosters or antennas work good with metal buildings?

94xjsport94 said:

1TONTJ said:

Y'all need to look into the mini split units. Cheaper and probably just as or more efficient. Novi Fed Coupe on here sells them and is very knowledgable about them. He said they have little impact on power bill. Or you can search the googlez and yootubez to learn about them. They are perfect for a shop, bc you only need one head per room. Read about them and you'll know what I mean.

TacomaJD said:
Y'all need to look into the mini split units. Cheaper and probably just as or more efficient. Novi Fed Coupe on here sells them and is very knowledgable about them. He said they have little impact on power bill. Or you can search the googlez and yootubez to learn about them. They are perfect for a shop, bc you only need one head per room. Google about them and you'll know what I mean.

Yup

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

I wasn't sure what type of AC units Will and 1tontj were talking about, but I googled Bard ac unit to see and a 4 ton like mentioned above was priced at $3500 in first result that popped up. Probably get a mini split installed for near half that.

Am I crazy for thinking like this or would a 15k+ BTU PTAC (Hotel room) AC unit be worth the money? Talking less than a grand total.

94xjsport94 said:
Am I crazy for thinking like this or would a 15k+ BTU PTAC (Hotel room) AC unit be worth the money? Talking less than a grand total.
That's what my neighbor ran in his with 1 roll up door, one walk through door and a couple medium size shop windows and spray foam insulation

He said it cooled fantastic inside. I have no clue what he spent on energy

94xjsport94 said:

Should work great. I am about to install a 1 Ton mini split in my bar/garage. Basically just a glorified PTAC that is kinder to the eyes.

94xjsport94 said:

Would work fine. You can buy a mini split for about same price, but then install is more involved and more costly.

94xjsport94 said:
Please post up if you go this route and let us know Willard.

I Will. I'd have to figure out where it would be best suited in my shop. I'm leaning that way if I decide to do anything. I need to insulate the attic area first though.

I'm only coming in on the tail end of this, but before you guys go throwing out money on units, know this. 12.000 btuh is one ton of refrigeration, so a 4 ton unit is rated at 48,000 btuh. You can get a "Mini Split" type unit in a 4 ton, but that SOB will be expensive up front. They are super efficient and compared to a conventional system, will definitely pay for themselves over the lifespan of the equipment. When I size a system for a house/shop with common insulation (non spray foam) , I figure 600 sq ft/ton with 8 ft ceilings. (Or 4800 Ft3 per ton) That usually works out great without oversizing. You can however go to 800 sq ft /ton and be fine most of the time. If you decide to go the mini split route, you can add more systems to achieve your comfort if needed. Also go with a good brand! I can't stress this part enough!!!! I've had people use the cheapo ones off the internet (Pioneer for example) and they do not last. It's just like any other thing in life. you get what you pay for. Go with a Mitsubishi, Daikin or Fujitsu. I've personally had the best luck with Mitsubishi. If anyone wants any input on their particular building from me, feel free to PM me. Hope this helps thumb.gif

we put a 24K BTU window unit (GE) in our welding shop at work.

It was $600 and will cool the 25x60 room (it's a lean-to, so it's only got 3 exterior walls, but the ceiling is 16')

the unit said it was "rated" for 1500 sq ft @ 8' ceilings, but damn it'll put out a lot of cold air.

TBItoy said:
we put a 24K BTU window unit (GE) in our welding shop at work.

It was $600 and will cool the 25x60 room (it's a lean-to, so it's only got 3 exterior walls, but the ceiling is 16')

the unit said it was "rated" for 1500 sq ft @ 8' ceilings, but damn it'll put out a lot of cold air.
I was always under the impression window a/c units were hell on a power bill? Maybe those too are getting more efficient now?

Re: Re: Re: Pics of your shops/garages/specs

TacomaJD said:
I was always under the impression window a/c units were hell on a power bill? Maybe those too are getting more efficient now?

I would think that a properly installed window unit (I framed it in, trimmed, and caulked the case in place) would be quite efficient as there is no duct work. Its a 220v unit too.

Maybe the thought of high power bills comes from window units being normally put in old poorly sealed/insulated houses?

Latest posts