• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Let's see your tow rig!!!

ForMud said:
What's the laws regarding running double trailers? I know class-A you have to have an endorsement to do so. I've never seen any run up this away.
In Michigan the first trailer has to be a 5th wheel. Can't tow double on a bumper pull. And you have to get a rv doubles endorsement on your license

jopickens said:
Here comes the carnival...

20170503harlanKY1.JPG

Winning^

zukimaster said:
I have pulled a double setup also, it turns better than you think, just don't expect to back it up far.
9b2e1c9b005dfcf18b4487ffad0858b9.jpg

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Chad what kind of gallons/mile does that 454 get pulling that setup?
;D

zukimaster said:
I have pulled a double setup also, it turns better than you think, just don't expect to back it up far.
9b2e1c9b005dfcf18b4487ffad0858b9.jpg

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

If you had a hair on your butt, you'd hook the Baja up too. :flipoff1:

ADMINISTRATOR

LOL, I swear I thought about hooking my boat behind the camper one time, and that beast gets about 5.5-6 mpg pulling, and 9 empty.

jopickens said:
Here comes the carnival...

20170503harlanKY1.JPG

20170503harlanKY3.JPG
Are you from West Virginia? That looks like Jerrys Xj on back but doesn't look like ur ram charger ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DallasBlade said:
What is the law about pulling double trailers in Alabama? weight or length?
Also from what I have read here and there, as long as everything appears safe, all lights working, chains, etc. they will not mess with you. When going to the hardline ride at HPO a couple years ago, the DOT was set up in full force in Decatur, I just looked the other way and kept going! they didn't come after me, and they were several state troopers there.

zukimaster said:
Also from what I have read here and there, as long as everything appears safe, all lights working, chains, etc. they will not mess with you. When going to the hardline ride at HPO a couple years ago, the DOT was set up in full force in Decatur, I just looked the other way and kept going! they didn't come after me, and they were several state troopers there.

I bet that thing was hating life when it went up the hill going to HPO.

Re: Re: Let's see your tow rig!!!

smbroady82 said:
I'm sure a lot of it depends on the cop/what kind of mood they are in that day.
Exactly, catch a cop that got laid last night and you'll never have a problem, catch a cop who caught his wife getting laid the night before and you'll have hell to pay.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Zjman said:
Are you from West Virginia? That looks like Jerrys Xj on back but doesn't look like ur ram charger ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes - it belongs to his brother Jon again, and that's my Ramcharger. Good to hear from you!
Josh

DallasBlade said:
What is the law about pulling double trailers in Alabama? weight or length?

I did some quick searching before I started pulling doubles and was disappointed with the results... WV wasn't on the list. I've seen so many trucks pulling 5th wheel campers with a boat in tow travelling thru WV I assumed it was legal.
Anywho - here is some quick info - which in my opinion should be verified with the state you are licensed in. And by saying that, I don't believe just because your particular state may allow it you are legal to travel thru a state that does not. I've never seen anyone pulled over for it tho... not that it's done often anywho.

https://rv-roadtrips.thefuntimesguide.com/triple_towing/

Pulling double is allowed in the following states:

Alaska
Arizona
Arkansas
California
Colorado
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Iowa
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Maryland
Michigan
Minnesota
Mississippi
Missouri
Montana
Nebraska
Nevada
New Mexico
North Dakota
Ohio
Oklahoma
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah

Exceptions To The Rule

Of course, nothing is ever straightforward and simple though.
Many of these states have a variety of restrictions which could still hamper your ability to tow two trailers.
For example, some states limit total length of all 3 units to 65 feet. In some instances, the limit is 70 feet or 75 feet total length.
In some states, triple towing is restricted to adding the second trailer only behind a 5th wheel trailer.
Many states limit the second trailer to recreational equipment, such as a boat, snowmobile, or ATV 4-wheelers.

Triple Towing Laws By State

There are 2 websites that list information pertaining to trailer towing rules and regulations for all states:

Woodall's Rules of the Road – This site appears to have the most information. In fact, it provides more information beyond simply whether triples are allowed or not. As an example, here in Minnesota triples are allowed, but the second trailer must be recreational equipment such as a boat, snowmobile, or ATV 4-wheeler.
Towing World – This site provides a good chart, but it is missing some important information.
Online Towing Guide – This site summarizes state towing laws across the U.S.
Of course, these resources should be looked at as basic guidelines. Keep in mind that laws change and information can get mixed up in translation. The only way to get completely accurate information about triple towing is to contact the Department of Transportation or Highway Patrol offices for your state and any states you plan on traveling through.

If you do consider towing 2 trailers, be sure to follow all regulations and safety measures! You will be accepting a whole new level of responsibility with that second trailer. Your ability to maneuver in close spaces (or to stop safely) may be reduced considerably. One thing's for sure, you can forget about backing up with this combination! Getting everything to turn the way you want in a triple-tow configuration will be next to impossible.

http://onlinetowingguide.com/towing_laws.html

Random question with all the double towing talk going on:

Do you guys have brakes on both trailers? I was just sitting here wondering how/if that would work.

Figures, the three states I tow in the most aren't on the list. I don't think I would even chance it around here, Dot in the Northeast are like a pack of hungry wolves.