• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

What kind of fluid in Rockweel axles

crawler nut

Like the title says. Just finished my rig. An need to fill the diffs. What do you guys recommend? Thanks

We always ran either standard hydraulic oil, automatic transmission fluid or even 5w 30 motor oil. With the rocks alreadt robbing so much power a thinner oil will allow you to spin the thirds easier.

:-X
YOUNG said:
We always ran either standard hydraulic oil, automatic transmission fluid or even 5w 30 motor oil. With the rocks alreadt robbing so much power a thinner oil will allow you to spin the thirds easier.

X2

I'd run a all purpose tractor fluid.

NTIDWELL said:
I run 85/140w really doubt ur gonna notice the heavier oil drag down ur engine

The heavier oil will protect against shock loading/heavy loading better than the lighter oil, but when you are spinning 2x the amount of gears and bearings (not to mention the size of the bearings) you are generating some significant parasitic loss.

Rock crawlers have a TON of parasitic loss to begin with, anything you can do to help is a plus IMO.

TBItoy said:
The heavier oil will protect against shock loading/heavy loading better than the lighter oil, but when you are spinning 2x the amount of gears and bearings (not to mention the size of the bearings) you are generating some significant parasitic loss.

Rock crawlers have a TON of parasitic loss to begin with, anything you can do to help is a plus IMO.
So ur saying if I run lighter oil I'll be faster or will I just save mpgs molaugh I could see running a lighter oil in the winter doubt if I ever will seen a deal on pirate bout all that and shaven gears and so on if ur gonna run rocks just throw more motor at it then u might be able to notice the difference instead of what oil u run in them giving u more power

NTIDWELL said:
So ur saying if I run lighter oil I'll be faster or will I just save mpgs molaugh I could see running a lighter oil in the winter doubt if I ever will seen a deal on pirate bout all that and shaven gears and so on if ur gonna run rocks just throw more motor at it then u might be able to notice the difference instead of what oil u run in them giving u more power

You just bitch-slapped the English language but I agree with you ... I think.

I run either 80w90 or 85w140, whatever I have laying around. To be honest the rockwell is so tough you could probably fill it with concrete and be alright. You wouldn't get very good mileage though. :spin:

patooyee said:
To be honest the rockwell is so tough you could probably fill it with concrete and be alright. You wouldn't get very good mileage though. :spin:
patooyee said:
You just bitch-slapped the English language but I agree with you ... I think.

I run either 80w90 or 85w140, whatever I have laying around. To be honest the rockwell is so tough you could probably fill it with concrete and be alright. You wouldn't get very good mileage though. :spin:
This exactly! My first set ran 50-50 gear oil and creek water.

yankster said:
This exactly! My first set ran 50-50 gear oil and creek water.

Did you feel that the creek water reduced parasitic loss? Was there a before and after difference?

I dunno, I'm just a lubrication engineer :dunno:
(no ****, I really am, work for JAX INC)

There is nothing "wrong" with running a 140 weight gear oil, I just don't feel that the heavier viscosity is necessary given the design of a 2.5 Rockwell in a rock crawler.

If they made a drip pan big enough to catch everything coming off of my buggy they would call it a drip POOL.

With the double reduction and the size of the bearings in these axles any time you can spin it easier is a plus. Also with the size of the bearings our sport doesn't put any wear on them. Its shocking to see how much easier they spin when you run the ATF fluid or standard thin weight hydraulic fluid. The thick gear oil is a waste in these axles for trail use.

Latest posts