• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Fire Safety NO EXCUSES (A fire ext quick disconnet Build Thread)

TBItoy

So coming from the fire safety thread, and the (new - renewed?) concern over fire safety that has come to fruition over the past couple months, I'm gonna lay it out here as a "No Excuses" build thread.

-Can you afford for your truck to burn to the ground?
-Can you imagine burning to death in your rig?

If you think you don't need fire extinguishers on your rig...

-Do you have a wheelin buddy you don't want to burn to death? yeah...

Fire Extinguishers and quick disconnects make an excellent Christmas, Birthday, Easter, Kawanza, or Flag day gift!

These are from "jduck" Jason Duckett, and are CHEAP. Like I said "NO EXCUSES". Don't waste BEER putting out FIRES! :drinkers: :flipoff1:

here's what you'll get in the box, a bunch of plates, some quick pins, bolts, and hose clamps. A complete kit with everything you need! He even includes both sizes of hose clamps for the fire ext and the tube clamps.

2013-01-21_20-49-04_159.jpg

2013-01-21_20-49-29_191.jpg

2013-01-21_20-49-39_270.jpg

Re: Fire Safety NO EXCUSES (A fire ext quick disconnet Build Thread)li

First thing to do is lay out the mounts and get'em ready for welding.

Jason sends them with a grade 5 bolt and Nylock nut for each mount.
I like to bolt em up to weld them, so I grab some nuts from the spare bolt bin and put the plate together finger tight

2013-01-21_20-53-35_680.jpg

These magnetic angle holder thingys are pretty damn handy. and only like $3 for a 6 pack of them from Harbor Freight. They work real good for holding e'r thing in line

2013-01-21_20-54-25_622.jpg

Lay down some tacks/short welds in the center so they don't pull all crooked-sideways

2013-01-21_20-54-25_622.jpg

A couple short weldis will hold it together just fine. Literally takes just a few seconds to throw down some small welds.

2013-01-21_20-57-21_40.jpg

After that side cools off a bit, take them apart and weld up the other side.

Make sure the slots are against the base plate... Yeah, I've welded one on backwards... ::) (on the previous batch I made up)

Same procedure, magnetic angles, tack tack weld

2013-01-21_21-02-30_433.jpg

Then after a few mintues, you got a pile of fire extinguisher mounts

2013-01-21_21-16-25_891.jpg

Dont forget flat black for good luck.

2013-01-21_21-24-12_966.jpg

here is one that lived on my race truck all last year. I put a zip tie on the quick pin for a little more to grab. You could always put a bigger flag, rings, tabs, or whatever to give more to grab too.

2013-01-21_21-17-08_208.jpg

2013-01-21_21-17-29_831.jpg

2013-01-21_21-18-02_17.jpg

Nice. I've been hauling 2 2.5lb exstinguishers in my Jeep for a few years since I had a small exhaust fire at Coal Creek. I had 1 in the Jeep at the time and it was plenlty, but it only took one fire for me to be more concerned about it. I use the stamped steel mounts that came with the exstinguishers but I've been looking at these quick release options for a bit. I just couldn't stomache the price but I suspect these will be a little more reasonable.

PM sent.

Re: Re: Re: Fire Safety NO EXCUSES (A fire ext quick disconnet Build Thread)

bgredjeep said:
I've been looking at these quick release options for a bit. I just couldn't stomache the price but I suspect these will be a little more reasonable.

PM sent.

That was my whole reason for posting this, the other mounts I've used/seen are either flimsy or $$$$.

I had one of those sheet metal mounts on my ol 4Runner, I was always afraid it was gonna pop loose and whack me.

And I saw a buddy roll an xtra cab yota with a 5lb ext inside, the mount broke and the extinguisher beat him up before breaking the valve off and fumigating the cab, damn near blinded and choked him to death.

I've got one of the Jduck mounts welded to the trans tunnel on my race truck too. Or you could use bolts. Easy to mount.

Here is another one I've found online, a few dollars more than jduck mounts, They look like the same basic design but they have a spring loaded T handle. (I don't really see where that would be an advantage, maybe easier to pull? maybe more difficult?

DSC00965-250x250.jpg

Now that I think of it, I'd rather have a pull-out pin rather than a spring loaded pin. If you could only use one hand because of injury or being trapped in the rig, you can still depoly a JDuck mount. God forbid you ever have too, but you could pull the extinguisher pin, then pull the quick disconnect pin, and be able to use the extinguisher. I would stay away from something that requires 2 hands.

Re: Re: Re: Fire Safety NO EXCUSES (A fire ext quick disconnet Build Thread)

TBItoy said:
That was my whole reason for posting this, the other mounts I've used/seen are either flimsy or $$$$.

I ordered 3 of these for roughly the same cost as 1 of the other options I've looked at, so yeah, definately a deal.

same style i have also didnt take no time to fab up and look good as well as easy to get to

Re: Re: Fire Safety NO EXCUSES (A fire ext quick disconnet Build Thread)

Ttt for riding and racing season

Yall have had time to build and install the mounts, lets see some pics of where they are!

(heck it might save you or your rig if some one knows or remembers where it is on your rig)

Got two of these a while back and they are installed on my rig. Don't have any pics yet, but they work great

Re: Re: Fire Safety NO EXCUSES (A fire ext quick disconnet Build Thread)

Figured I'd bump this back up since it's getting hot enough outside that your rig might catch fire sitting in your driveway! :****: