• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

SXOR single seater build

I would almost have made the luggage rack off the back instead of so high. Make it pretty easily removable back there. chances of rolling backwards would be less than rolling side to side, I would think.

Thanks man, I really appreciate it! That really means a lot to me coming from someone who has built a rig like yours.

You're right, this is definitely a 50lb of **** type situation. Lol. Pictures really don't show how small this thing is. I agree that the rack really is too high, but I'm not sure I can get it any lower. The only things I plan to put in it are a small tool bag, recovery gear, and a soft sided cooler. So hopefully nothing that would take a lot of damage in a rollover. I'm always open to suggestions though.

hokie_yj said:
Thanks man, I really appreciate it! That really means a lot to me coming from someone who has built a rig like yours.

You're right, this is definitely a 50lb of **** type situation. Lol. Pictures really don't show how small this thing is. I agree that the rack really is too high, but I'm not sure I can get it any lower. The only things I plan to put in it are a small tool bag, recovery gear, and a soft sided cooler. So hopefully nothing that would take a lot of damage in a rollover. I'm always open to suggestions though.

I've seen those chassis in person. Unless others have also I really don't think anyone here has a reference for how small they are being kind of a west coast chassis. I could never fit in one. Poeple think Jimmy Smith chassis are small ... well they ain't nothing compared to the SXOR.

Yeah they sure are. Lol. I actually got mine on eBay for about half that. Apparently PSC has some sort of overstock warehouse and they list on eBay. They shipped in a PSC box straight from them. I just happened to see them on there one day and snagged 5 of them. Wish I would've bought a bunch more.

For the yokes, long spline, and coupler I found all my part #'s online and ordered everything through my local fleet pride. They beat every price I could find online. I can post the part#'s if anyone is interested.

The midship bearing is from WOD. I have another one that's not in this picture. Both front and rear shafts will be two piece.

And since I just needed shorter pieces of tubing in somewhat uncommon sizes I just ordered all of it from Speedy Metals.

I believe I can do it all with no machining by using DOM bushings to mate everything together.

I spent a little time in the shop today before I had to come in to work tonight. I looked at what i could do to lower the basket. At the most all I could get would be about 1" lower, and that's if I tilt the radiator forward as far as it will go. It won't lay back toward the rear of the chassis because of how narrow it gets back there, and it can't go any lower either. To me 1" isn't worth the trouble and time it would take to do it, so I guess it will just stay where it's at for now. WHEN the day comes that I yardsale this thing laughing1 if the basket gets trashed then maybe I'll look at doing something different. I do appreciate you guys input on it though. I'm always open to constructive criticism. thumb.gif

I did start on redoing the tubework for the interior panels, but I ran out of time before I got much done worth taking pictures of.

If it were me I would cut the basket down and put it in that area in front of the radiator and behind the cooling fan you have behind your head there. It seems oversized for that buggy. My basket is 1/3 that size and I manage to fit everything I need in it in terms of tools. And my tools are bigger than yours because rockwells are big. It would look less out of place, too.

patooyee said:
If it were me I would cut the basket down and put it in that area in front of the radiator and behind the cooling fan you have behind your head there. It seems oversized for that buggy. My basket is 1/3 that size and I manage to fit everything I need in it in terms of tools. And my tools are bigger than yours because rockwells are big. It would look less out of place, too.

I don't know why I never really thought of that. :dunno: That just might work. I'll stare at it some more again tomorrow morning after I get home from work and sleep a bit. Thanks again for the input.

hokie_yj said:
I don't know why I never really thought of that. :dunno: That just might work. I'll stare at it some more again tomorrow morning after I get home from work and sleep a bit. Thanks again for the input.

NP, hope you don't think I'm ragging on just one little thing because overall I think that rig is ****ing bad-ass and makes me want to sell mine to build something small like that.

patooyee said:
NP, hope you don't think I'm ragging on just one little thing because overall I think that rig is ****ing bad-ass and makes me want to sell mine to build something small like that.

I don't think that at all. Like I said before, I appreciate the constructive criticism too. I agree that it looks out of place up there. I just didn't know how else to do it. Sometimes I just need someone elses perspective on things to help me figure it out.

And I definitely appreciate the compliments on it! Stuff like that keeps me motivated to get it done. thumb.gif

I had a little time today so I re-did the interior tube work. Each piece of tube has a tube coupler on the chassis end so it can be removed if needed. The panels will be .100" aluminum.

And the new air filter came in today so I threw it on to see how it fit. It tucks just inside the chassis.

I started working on the interior panels today. Still have more to do, but I got a decent start on it. All panels are .100" aluminum. Everything is mounted with threaded trick tabs so it can be removed without too much trouble.

Trick tabs all layed out.

Test fitting the first panel. The cutout in the near right corner is for clearance for the intake elbow.

Cutting the hole for the twin sticks. I measured several times for this, laid it out, cut it with the plasma, and still somehow managed to get the angle wrong on it. :dunno: I have the boot that AA ships with the Atlas on it right now, but the shifters won't travel all the way because the hole is on the wrong angle. I found a boot by JB Fab that has a bigger opening so I went ahead and ordered one. I'll fix that problem when it comes in.

I originally planned to use an Art Carr shifter, but the rear exit cable made it hard to package. So I decided to go with a B&M Pro-Stick instead. The gates will be modified so you can hit neutral or reverse easily. It's mounted on a quick release bracket.

Cutting the gauge/switch panel. Plasma with a standoff /drag tip made cutting this stuff a breeze.

Gauge/switch panel installed. Tomorrow I'll cut the holes and mount the 12voltguy switch panel and the Autometer dash pack in it. And I also have to find somewhere to mount the Blue Sea battery selector/kill switch.

I think I'll end up either painting or doing some kind of coating on these panels. With a copper chassis and black skins I think having the panels black would look a lot better than plain aluminum.

I got a little more done on the interior today. I cut the holes for the switch panel and gauge cluster and got them mounted. The switch panel is from 12VoltGuy, and the cluster is a Autometer Pro-Comp Pro Dash.

I made this piece just to fill the hole that was there.

And I also decided on a spot for the battery switch and cut the hole, but I didn't have long enough bolts to mount it. I'll pick some up tomorrow when I'm out so I can get all that back together.

I'm also going to cut a piece of aluminum to try and fill the hole beside the seat the best I can. The front driveshaft will be just a few inches away so I at least want a little something between it and me in case something flies apart.

Latest posts