• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

SXOR single seater build

What pressure are those Swagelok compression fittings rated at? I guess I always assumed that compression fittings couldn't handle the pressure of a braking system and that was why the OEM's used the flared connections instead.

The flex hoses are rated at 3000 psi working pressure and 12000 psi burst pressure. The compression fittings and hard lines are rated at roughly 7500 psi. These aren't normal compression fittings that you buy at the parts store. I install these fittings almost daily at work in both liquid and gas service( CO, oxygen, hydrogen, h2s, etc.) on systems that run at 2000 psi or higher. And also on hydraulic systems that run closer to 5000 psi.

With manual brakes I don't believe I'll come anywhere close to those pressures. If this was a boosted brake system I might be more hesitant about running them, but I still think they would be ok.

It's expensive stuff, and definitely not the most economical way to plumb a brake system, but luckily I have a very good source for them.

haha i know the feeling… brake plumbing is coming up on my pile of parts also, I'm dreading ordering all the pieces. Im planning to do a combination of AN flex lines and double flared hard lines..

what major stuff are you lacking for a shakedown run? I feel like Im getting close but I know it'll seem farther away again when i start working on "finishing"

I'm still working on this thing when I get the chance, just most of the stuff I'm doing right now isn't really worth taking pics of. I'm kinda at the point of staring at it and trying to think if there's anything else that needs to be done before I tear it all apart for welding, paint, wiring, and plumbing. It's getting closer, but still have several little piddly things to do. I did take these pics the other day while i was working on it.

These are the (+) and (-) bus bars. They're from Blue Sea Maraine, and they're rated at 1000 amps. They're seriously overkill, and honestly I didn't realize just how big they were when I was ordering them. They ended up not fitting where I had originally hoped to put them so they landed here under the hood.

This is the panel that goes on the B-pillar behind the headrest. It came with the chassis when I bought it. I just cut some holes for the intake and shoulder belts, and so that the transmission cooler can get some airflow to it. The red lexan obviously won't match with the black and copper, but rather than cutting something else I'm just going to paint it black to match.

I realize this is a pretty pathetic update, but I just wanted to let anybody that cares know that I am still working on it and progress is being made. Most of it just isn't worth posting about.

Been following your build, looks great! Love these little buggies!
I am in the same stage of build as you, hope to have a sanding party in a couple of weeks..

nice work ben, I may have to do a worthless update also.. been working on details for a few weeks, gathering parts routing cables blah blah..

I do have a question for ya… is that PCM bracket you're using steel or plastic?

Thanks man, can't wait to see yours done. The bracket I'm using is steel, it came with a piece of foam in it I guess for vibration purposes. I have seen some platic ones too though.

Cool, good to know. I was just guessing since their website didn't have anything and their thread on Pirate hadn't been updated in a long time. It's a nice piece, I'm very happy with it.

Here's a few more progress pics from the last couple days. A lot of time was spent just mapping out in my head how all the wiring and plumbing is going to be routed and tacking on zip tie tabs etc. to secure everything. I did get a few more things done though.

I welded up and painted the fire extinguisher mounts I got from JDuck. These things are really nice, you can't beat them for the money. I'm going to mount one inside where I can reach it while i'm strapped in, and one in the back around the motor somewhere. I'm thinking I'll probably go with the ColdFire extinguishers.

I also rolled the axles out from under it and installed the 3rd members. I tried doing it with the axles still under the buggy, but it was just way easier this way and they had to come out anyway.

I also assembled the front axle shafts. The joints are CTMs. The outers are custom CTM 300M 2nd gen Dodge 33 spline unit bearing style stubs, and the inners are Moser 35 spline chromos. One day I'll probably order some CTM inners to match. (The front shafts, no joints, came with the chassis when I bought it as a roller) Both are machined for 50* steering. I still have to install the shafts and cycle the ram though to see how much angle I can use and whether or not I need to de-stroke the ram.

And here's the rear axle shafts, I got these in a long time ago, but I'm not sure if I ever posted any pics of them. They're custom length CTM 300M 35 spline double splined shafts with CTM 300M drive flanges.

Hopefully I won't be breaking any axle shafts, but ring & pinions will probably hate me though.

I'm hoping it won't be too long before I tear it all apart and start welding and painting. I'm still trying to order up the rest of the parts I need here and there when the wallet allows. I got my ORI dual fill kit and a bunch of AN hose and fittings last week. I ordered my nitrogen regulator for the fill kit this week along with some other small parts. I still have some wiring stuff to order too, and then I'm sure there will be several things that I'll remember at the last minute that I need.

I had a few minutes this afternoon so I slid the shafts in the front axle and cycled the ram to see if I was going to have to limit it. Luckily everything clears great. With the ram at full lock in either direction the knuckles are still an inch or so away from hitting the steering stops and I can still fit my little finger between the ears of the shafts.

At full lock in either direction the outside goes close to 55*, and the inside is about 45* or so. Is it normal for the outside tire to turn that much sharper than the inside? Or do I have something screwed up?

Here's some pics.

Full lock left.

Full lock right.

You have reverse ackerman angle.

Normally your inside tire turns farther than the outside tire.

It'll be fine though.

You could mount your steering ram closer to the axle housing, that would correct the angle at full lock

Ok, thank you. I've heard that term before, but never really understood what it meant. There's really no way I can get the ram any closer to the axle. So I guess I'll just run it as is.

The ram clamps are almost touching the diff cover now so there's no moving the ram.

Edit: And I guess part of the problem may be that these Dodge knuckles have pretty short steering arms.

I got the driveshafts built today. The front and rear shafts are only about 1" different in length so I was able to build both shafts identical and will be able to build one spare to work for both.

The angles on the rear shaft suck, but it is what it is. I wish whoever originally built the axle would have moved the 3rd a couple inches closer to the passenger side. It would have made life so much easier for me. I still have to flex it out and just hope nothing binds and everything clears.

As you can see the rear shaft is a little cozy with the oil filter. I'm thinking about building something off the engine skid to come up and cover the oil filter. I would make it removable so that the filter could be changed without dropping the skid. But I also went ahead and ordered the remote oil filter adapter for this pan in case I need it.

I ran out of time today before I could get the front shaft bolted up. I'll do that in the morning then flex it out and hope and pray that everything clears ok.

Latest posts