• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

SXOR single seater build

Well, I guess if I didn't have bad luck I wouldn't have any at all... this weekend I figured out that I get to tear this thing back apart because I've got a Powerglide that won't go in gear. And it has to come completely out of the chassis to even get the pan off to see what's going on. Anybody need a new project? I'm not giving up, but it's EXTREMELY frustrating to be so close, and then have to take such a big step backwards. I seriously just want to light it on fire and watch it burn to the ground right now.

The best part is that I believe it's all because of a stupid mistake I made. I've talked to a lot of people about it, and I really think the problem is that I didn't get something hooked back up right on the valve body when I put the new shift lever for the B&M shifter in the case. I'll feel like a huge idiot if that's what it is, but that's best case scenario so I really hope that's it. I'm already well aware that I'm an idiot, so I can accept that fact easily. Lol.

I guess this week/weekend sometime I'll get it pulled out and find out exactly what's wrong.

Id be more the happy to take it off your hands. On serious note keep your head up. Its such a rewarding feeling when you get to drive it for the first time.

stuftmunky2k said:
Id be more the happy to take it off your hands. On serious note keep your head up. Its such a rewarding feeling when you get to drive it for the first time.
Man if I was in town I'd be over in a heart beat to give you a hand. You got this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pplblazerdude said:
Man if I was in town I'd be over in a heart beat to give you a hand. You got this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks man! I'm on days this week so not much time to work on it. I spent a few minutes last night trying to get everything out of the way to get it ready to come out. Hopefully I can get it pulled out this weekend.

Looks like you guys are having a good trip. Wish like hell I was there!

Man i hope you get it fixed. I've been following this thread and waiting to see pic/video of it ripping a trail up somewhere. Keep your head up dude!

I got the transmission pulled out a couple nights ago. I found the root cause of the problem. Sure enough, I'm an idiot. Big surprise there. Haha!

Here's what I found when I pulled the pan off. Notice the shift lever just hanging out attached to absolutely nothing...

Oh, hey there. Where'd this come from? It sure looks important.

So that's how this thing works...

At least it was an easy find and fix. But it really sucks causing yourself hours of work and frustration because of a stupid mistake that took less than 5 minutes to fix.

I don't know how I managed to miss hooking the shift lever up to the manual valve? I had instructions laying right in front of me the whole time I was putting it in. Just a stupid mistake. Oh well, live and learn. Still have to wrestle it back in and get everything hooked back up. But it should work now. Then it will be back to making forward progress instead of going backwards.

Gotta hate stupid issues but gotta love it when they're easy to find and fix like that. The ones I hate are usually electrical...damn Gremlins always screwing around.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Got the transmission back in yesterday and it seems to be working fine. It's still on jack stands, but it shifts through the gears like it should.

Nothing picture worthy, but I made a little more progress. Brakes are "mostly" bled, CTMs greased, diffs filled with oil, and a little more wiring done.

To do list:

-Weld up the rear driveshaft, and install both driveshafts
-Mount wheels and tires
-Charge the shocks
-Wire rock lights and dome light
-Wire the winch and in-cab controls
-Install seat and belts
-Mount fire extinguishers
-Cut and install skins

I'm sure there's a dozen little things that will come up to be done, but that's the major things for now.

Yesterday I got the rear driveshaft welded up. Ran out of time before I had to leave for work and the paint wasn't dry so I couldn't get joints in it and put it in. The front driveshaft is in and the wheels and tires are on the front. Once I get the rear shaft in I'll take it down off jack stands and charge the shocks.

The interior is together minus the seat and belts. And all the wiring is done minus the winch. Because of where the winch is mounted I need to get it wired before I mount the seat. I had to pick up some more welding cable for that so hopefully that will get done next week.

And just because here's some pics when I was testing out the lights. These were all taken with all the shop lights off and it was pitch black in there.

It has the light bars, just needs an angry eyes grille and it will be legit #builtnotbought

The plan is Harlan the first weekend in June. That should be one hell of a place for a shakedown. Surely I can pull that off if nothing crazy happens. Fingers crossed.

Driveshafts are in, wheels and tires are mounted, and shocks are charged. Sitting at ride height it's 22" to the belly and 67" to the roof with about 6" of uptravel. WB is ~112"

Current to do list:
-Mount engine skid.
-Wire winch and in cab controls
-Mount seat and belts
-Charge and Mount fire extinguishers
-Mount seatbelt cutter
-Cut and install skins