• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Anyone else got the random Dodge windshield wiper issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.

patooyee

I have an '05 Cummins that has the ever-common random wiper issue. Sometimes it works on intermittent, sometimes it doesn't. When it does, it will randomly wipe several swypes at a time before stopping. Sometimes they will swipe without the truck running when I lock or unlock the truck using the remote. Sometimes they will swype randomly while I am driving and they aren't even on.

I've searched high and low on the internet. It is a VERY common problem with this generation of truck, affecting thousands. But there is ZERO consensus as to what the fix is. Some say its the multi-function switch, some say the wiper motor, others say its the front control module. I'm leaning toward the FCM but was wondering if anyone had any experience with it. Most of the internet opinions are from those with little actual mechanical / electrical knowledge who just take their **** to the dealership and report back what they are told.

I'm sure every Dodge tech knows exactly what it is because it is so common. When I worked at Ford there were some issues that were so common / universal that we knew how to fix them and could order parts before the customer even brought their vehicles in. Problem is, I don't know any Dodge techs.

my 05 3500 does this, i thought the 3wipes in a row was supposed to that :wtflol:

PM "imarockfan" on here. He works at a Dodge delearship service department and might know the cause.

I have a 08 and they sent me a recall letter. They changed the motor and other parts and no problem anymore got a 103000 on it now

Yes. Some of the trucks had a recall for similar symptoms but as a result of a different cause. Mine has that same recall but not the specific wiper motor that was recalled, so I get stuck dealing with it even though the symptoms are the same or similar.

Have heard from one Dodge tech so far that says it is always a bad park switch in the wiper motor, which would concur with the most popular answers I've found on the internet. There is a possible DIY fix shown in detail here:

http://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen-ram-tech/336854-intermittent-wiper-diy-fix.html

Or a reman wiper motor is only $54 on rockauto.com. I think I am going to try cleaning out the switch myself first to see if there is any change / improvement and go from there.

My 05 does the same. I randomly have to switch it all the way ON (not intermittent) and let is cycle at least 1 time before I can change it. If I don't let it cycle it will stop in the middle of the windshield. I get the same random multiple cycles while on intermittent as well. No recall notices sent to me at all.

Here's the recall letter:

151630753.gif

Here's the dealer instructions:

August 2009
Dealer Service Instructions for:
Safety Recall J11
Mopar Windshield Wiper Motor
Models
2002-2008 (DR) Dodge Truck (1500 series pickup)
2005-2009 (DH) Dodge Truck (2500 series pickup)
2006-2009 (D1) Dodge Truck (3500 series pickup)
2007-2008 (DC) Dodge Truck (3500 series cab chassis)
2008 (DM) Dodge Truck (4500/5500 series cab chassis)
NOTE : This recall applies only to the above vehicles that had the original windshield wiper motor replaced with a Mopar service parts windshield wiper motor.
IMPORTANT : Some of the involved vehicles may be in dealer used vehicle inventory. Dealers should complete this recall service on these vehicles before retail delivery. Dealers should also perform this recall on vehicles in for service. Involved vehicles can be determined by using the VIP inquiry process.
Subject
During a prior service appointment, a Mopar service parts windshield wiper motor may have been installed on about 1,000 of the above vehicles. These replacement wiper motors may fail under certain operating conditions. A loss of windshield wipers could limit the driver's visibility and cause a crash without warning.
Repair
The windshield wiper motor must be inspected. Vehicles equipped with a Mopar service parts windshield wiper motor must have the motor replaced.

Parts Information
Special Tools
No special tools are required to perform this service procedure.
Completion Reporting and Reimbursement
Claims for vehicles that have been serviced must be submitted on the
DealerCONNECT Claim Entry Screen located on the Service tab. Claims
submitted will be used by Chrysler to record recall service completions and provide dealer payments.

Use the labor operation number and time allowance shown.
Add the cost of the recall parts package plus applicable dealer allowance to your claim.
NOTE : See the Warranty Administration Manual, Recall Claim Processing Section, for complete recall claim processing instructions.
Dealer Notification
To view this notification on DealerCONNECT, select "Global Recall System" on the Service tab, then click on the description of this notification.
Owner Notification and Service Scheduling
All involved vehicle owners known to Chrysler are being notified of the service requirement by first class mail. They are requested to schedule appointments for this service with their dealers. A generic copy of the owner letter is included.
Enclosed with each owner letter is an Owner Notification postcard to allow owners to update our records if applicable.
Dealers are encouraged to consider alternative scheduling and servicing
approaches for this recall. This repair does not require hoists or other full service facility special equipment and is a Chrysler Mobile Service approved repair.
Vehicle Lists, Global Recall System, VIP and Dealer Follow Up
All involved vehicles have been entered into the DealerCONNECT Global Recall System (GRS) and Vehicle Information Plus (VIP) for dealer inquiry as needed.
GRS provides involved dealers with an updated VIN list of their incomplete vehicles. The owner's name, address and phone number are listed if known. Completed vehicles are removed from GRS within several days of repair claim submission.
To use this system, click on the "Service" tab and then click on "Global Recall System." Your dealer's VIN list for each recall displayed can be sorted by: those vehicles that were unsold at recall launch, those with a phone number, city, zip code, or VIN sequence.
Dealers must perform this repair on all unsold vehicles before retail delivery. Dealers should also use the VIN list to follow up with all owners to schedule appointments for this repair.
Recall VIN lists may contain confidential, restricted owner name and address information that was obtained from the Department of Motor Vehicles of various states. Use of this information is permitted for this recall only and is strictly prohibited from all other use.
Additional Information
If you have any questions or need assistance in completing this action, please contact your Service and Parts District Manager.
Customer Services Field Operations
Chrysler Group LLC

Here's the service instructions:

1. Remove the right and left wiper arms from the wiper pivots.
2. Open the hood.
3. Disconnect and isolate the negative battery cable(s).
4. Remove the plenum cover sound deadening pad.
5. Remove the plastic cowl plenum cover panel from the cowl plenum to expose the wiper motor.
6. Inspect the windshield wiper motor:

> If the wiper motor has two rubber mounting bushings (Figure 1), the wiper motor is original and is not involved in this recall. Continue with Step 21 of this procedure.
NOTE : If the original wiper motor requires some type of repair, the repair cost is the responsibility of the vehicle owner.

> If the windshield wiper motor has one rubber mounting bushing (Figure 2), the wiper motor is a Mopar replacement motor and is involved in this recall. Continue with Step 7 of this procedure.

7. Disconnect the wiper motor electrical connector (Figure 3).
8. Remove the wiper motor linkage arm retaining nut from the wiper motor shaft (Figure 3).
9. Remove the wiper motor linkage arm from the motor shaft.
NOTE : Do not disconnect the wiper motor linkage arm from the remaining wiper linkage.
10. Remove the three wiper motor retaining bolts (Figure 4).
11. Remove the wiper motor from the vehicle.
12. Transfer the rubber isolator from the old wiper motor onto the new wiper motor (Figure 4).
13. Discard the old wiper motor.
14. Place the new wiper motor into position.
15. Install the three wiper motor retaining bolts (Figure 4).
16. Tighten the upper wiper motor retaining bolts to 70 in. lbs. (8 N.m).
17. Tighten the lower mounting bolt to 75 in. lbs. (8.5 N.m).
18. Connect the wiper motor electrical connector (Figure 3).

19. Install the wiper motor linkage arm to the wiper motor shaft as shown in Figure 5.
NOTE : The arms for the wiper pivots must be pointing downward (forward).
20. Install the wiper motor linkage arm nut and tighten the nut to 204 in.lbs. (23 N.m).
21. Install the plastic cowl plenum cover panel.
22. Install the plenum cover sound deadening pad.
23. Connect the negative battery cable(s) to the negative battery post(s).
24. Close the hood.
25. Install the right and left wiper arms onto the wiper pivots and verify that the wiper arm retaining clips are engaged.
26. Cycle the windshield wipers to verify proper operation and the wiper blade park position.

Long story short, if you have this motor, and apparently most trucks do, you're not affected:

151631471.jpg

If you have this one, the recall applies to you:

151531615.jpg

I find the wording amusing. First it says that only vehicles that have had their wiper motors replaced in the past could possibly have the bad wiper motor, but then it says that new vehicles in dealer inventory may also be affected.

I haven't looked at my motor yet, but the research on the net I've done so far indicates that most vehicles have the 2-stud motor. If I do go in there and find a 1-stud motor I will be taking it to the dealer for the recall.

Apparently Alldata is mistaken about that recall, it doesn't apply to my truck. I even verified that my truck does have the 1-bushing motor. So I'm stuck dealing with this myself. No big deal as I don't trust dealers to even check my tire pressure correctly.

On a side note, does anyone know a trick to removing these plastic push pins within destroying ****?

universal%20push%20clip.gif

Seems like every time I have to I either destroy the pins or the plastic panels they hold on ...

This is the problem with that notice.
NOTE : This recall applies only to the above vehicles that had the original windshield wiper motor replaced with a Mopar service parts windshield wiper motor.

So if you got a replacement motor that ****s up you are covered, but the factory motor ****ing up is fine apparently.

For the other part, I use one of these. Had the panels off my wife's liberty several times for the craptastic window regulators.
door_panel_tool.jpg

Well, it was completely fixed there for a while but its back now. :(

Re: Re: Anyone else got the random Dodge windshield wiper issue?

Dang. Mine did a 3 swipe while on int. the other day. I like to think there are sensors in the glass telling the motor to wipe more. I know that's not the case just sounds cool.

So the control module has power all the time and can turn the wiper motor on anytime, coming from the switch the signal goes through the cluster, and both the cluster and module are connected to a data line. Your guess is as good as mine trying to figure out what is turning the motor on. And trying to pin out wires on an intermittant problem is a complete nightmare. I don't see how the motor could turn itself on without a command from the module, but then did the cluster tell the module to turn the motor on? Clear as mud?

Yeah, seems like they over complicated a simple task, doesn't it?

In addition, I've read about water intrusion issues with the fuse box in these trucks that causes all sorts of electrical issues, including mine.

At least part of the problem appears to be wiper motor park-switch related. IE, the park switch does not contact properly and tell the computer that the wipers are at the bottom of their stroke. Since the computer doesn't see a park switch signal it just keep the motor running until it does.

Being that the wiper motor fixed the issues for about a month I decided to give another wipe motor a try, knowing that when they reman these things they probably don't pay much attention to detail.

As of right now everything is working fine again. Just out of curiosity though, I decided to open up the park switch on the motors to see what is going on:

old1.jpg

old2.jpg

old3.jpg

old4.jpg

This is my month-old Cardone reman qiper motor from Advance Auto. There was corrosion built up pretty badly on some of the circuit paths. I don't know if that could cause resistance that the computer has issues interpreting. But there was also corrosion built up on one of the park switch needles. This corrosion did not happen in the month I owned this motor. It probably happened while it was on the previous truck before reman occurred and just wasn't caught and repaired during the reman process. Here's the inside of the replacement unit that I put in:

new1.jpg

new2.jpg

Obviously this park switch has been replaced with a new one. What little wear on the circuits exists probably happened during testing at Cardone.

So I'm hoping that the new park switch solves my problem for the long-term and I just got a quality-control-challenged motor the first time. Only time will tell. I'm getting good at replacing these motors now though. Out and in in about 30 mins flat now. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts