• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Who has cut the cable?

patooyee

I feel like this may have been discussed here in the past but can't find the thread now.

The past few months I've been sitting in bed at night flipping channels and getting pissed off that there's never anything on. It seems like everything these days is just some dumb scripted "reality" show or Miley Cyrus whoring herself out. Duck Dynasty is the ONLY show that relays any sort of morals that I want my daughter to learn and even it is scripted to death. Then I get to wondering, "WTF am I paying $117/mo for?" I never get to watch shows when they come on since I'm always at work. Everything I do watch is off the DVR 1-3 days after it originally airs. I'm about ready to cut the cable and switch to something like Roku, but which one is best?

And what do you do for live college football in that case? I don't know that I can live without that and if I went to a bar and ate/drank for all the games I would spend more/mo than I spend on cable and be fatter than I already am.

patooyee said:
I feel like this may have been discussed here in the past but can't find the thread now.

The past few months I've been sitting in bed at night flipping channels and getting pissed off that there's never anything on. It seems like everything these days is just some dumb scripted "reality" show or Miley Cyrus whoring herself out. Duck Dynasty is the ONLY show that relays any sort of morals that I want my daughter to learn and even it is scripted to death. Then I get to wondering, "WTF am I paying $117/mo for?" I never get to watch shows when they come on since I'm always at work. Everything I do watch is off the DVR 1-3 days after it originally airs. I'm about ready to cut the cable and switch to something like Roku, but which one is best?

And what do you do for live college football in that case? I don't know that I can live without that and if I went to a bar and ate/drank for all the games I would spend more/mo than I spend on cable and be fatter than I already am.
I just went through the same thing a few months ago. We NEVER watch tv so we cut the channels waaayyyy back. Upped my internet speed so my bill didn't change much though. :wtflol:

I have not cut ties with Direct TV yet, but I did purchase a Roku 3 the othe day, local news and sports channels are the only thing we have watched since. I will be doing some looking around to see what I can adjust in the next few months.

About the only channels I do watch are TLC, Discover and Nat Geo. Can I get those on Roku?

I started to about a month ago but when I called directv, they gave me a deal so cheap with no contract extension, it would have been crazy for me not to take it.

I see that Roku has Hulu, Netflix, and a whole bunch of other paid services. Do you have to pay monthly for each one of them to get them? I guess I'm a little confused as to exactly what Roku is. My Wifi enabled Blu-Ray player gives me access to Netflix, Hulu, etc.

So Roku is just a device that makes getting to most of the online streaming services easier? But the ones you would normally have to pay for you still have to pay for? So if I want Netflix, Hulu, Vudu, and The Blaze TV, I still have to pay monthly for all 4 of those services? It seems like most of the free stuff is kind of cheesy and I could spend more on all the individual services than I am currently with cable. So what's the point of that? Really, if I just hooked a computer up to my TV and bookmarked all the services it would be basically the same thing?

Re: Re: Who has cut the cable?

I have a antenna for all the local stations, and use my inlaws netflix user name and password.I've had it this way for about 3 years and can't complain.I get all the major networks 14 channels in all, and bama football comes on cbs most if the time.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

We did about a year and a half ago. Indoor antenna in the window gets all the major channels like fox, cbs, abc and other major but atlanta local stations. We also have the roku with netflix and hulu (about $17 a month). So you get most college games except espn and for that we can go to a sports bar or friends house if we want to see it bad enough. Hulu covers most of your current shows on the big networks

Best advice is buy antenna and subscriptions and then turn your cable box off for a month and see how it goes. I figured it saved us at least $900 or so the first year after paying for the antenna and roku box.

Sent from S3

never cut the cable b/c never really had it once i got married. we do the basic cable ($15) and high speed internet ($45) through comcast as a package deal. We get abc, cbs, nbc, fox all in HD. theres also pbs channels, bounce, and upn. Out of those few we only ever watch abc mainly. It does suck not getting to see shows everyone at work talk about and get called a cheap ass alot but I dont see wasting the money on crap ill never watch or wont have time to watch. We rent movies from the redbox when theres something out we want to see.
Cut the cable and give it a few months on basic cable and I bet you wont miss much.

patooyee said:
About the only channels I do watch are TLC, Discover and Nat Geo. Can I get those on Roku?

Sounds like me.

Occasionally A&E, and Comedy Central (when it's not spewing liberal bullshit, who would think a comedy channel would have a liberal agenda!)

we cut the cable a couplle years ago. too much for too little. payoff wasnt worth it. in the end, we watch less tv. its all trash anyway. about the only reason we watch tv now is for the weather or funny home videos.lol. kids get upset every now and then about not being able to watch "some cool show" their friends all watch. but as a dad i dont want them watching it anyway.
im happier not paying for it, dont miss the down time watching no talent idiots get rich and makes for more planned family viewing with movies.

We cut it a few months back when we bought our house. Mainly because the money. We went the netflix and antenna route. We get the basics. Works fine for us.

I will say, we tried hulu. Its absolute garbage. Completely packed full of useless Japanese cartoon shows and movies you've never heard of.

We got the antenna as well.

Was about to cut the cable then Comcast told us that our internet would then go up to $60. Well we were getting basic, and internet for $60 so **** it. I use the antenna for the shop and for football games since it's HD.

Get a Roku, so worth it. Other than Netflix they have tons of other things that are free, and many that are not. But it's got a lot of choices.

along with the basic/internet package we have apps on the bluray player...
Theres Crackle that has a bunch of older movies that you can watch for free. There not HD and nothing new on it but some of the movies are ok if you get bored. Youtube will help kill time too. Just pull up madram or bustedknuckle. just few more things to think about.

No way I could live without cable. I use the **** out of my DVR. Love Comedy Central, except for adult cartoons....those are retarded. All the Duck Dynasty shows, any good movies that may come on TNT, USA, FX, AMC, etc. I'm a huge Walking Dead fan, so I would be lost not being able to watch that, new season starts next month I think, I've not missed a single episode of the previous 3 seasons. Any sort of sniper/gun documentaries that come on History Channel or Military Channel, **** like that interests me. Through the Wormhole with Morgan Freeman is another show I enjoy.

....yea, I couldn't live without tv. Then again, I live alone and work 2nd shift, so by the time I get off work, nobody else much is awake. So I spend a lot of time in the recliner watching tv into the wee hours of the morning after work. I suppose one's lifestyle would play a large part in how important tv programming is.

I still have Dish Network, that is when it is not raining, but there is not much choice for me out in the sticks. I recently did cut back most of my channels though due to never watching tv and nothing but crap on.

I cut mine off over a year ago ..found i get alot more done without it i really dont eve :****:n miss it.

Just the basics for me .. theres not much on tv these days worth watching.. mostly just watch movies and redbox new stuff .. im barely hone to watch anything anyways