• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

"Half an inch off" (budget) rockwell build

Eddyj

Bought a chassis for less than a grand. Cut up a perfectly good one ton spring-over jeep that I had since high school. Traded the one ton axles for set of rockwells that appear to be in good shape. Started building.
So now you know my backstory.
I'm trying for a low and simple. Those are really my only two things I'm worried about. So with simple comes cheap.

My drive line came out of a 79 one ton chevy that was used for pulling sleds at county fairs.
350 rebuilt on propane
4 speed
205 ( bought a ford 205 and put the front output in it)
42 TSL on mrw beadlocks
Pinion brakes (apparently they are patoyee knock offs) :(
Single brake pedal with duel master cylinders (bought off John G) :tc
Steering is single ended ram mounted to flipped tie rod. Using steering column out of a bumper car.
Rear mounted radiator
Used 16 inch remote saw coilovers for rear. None for front yet.

Re: "Half an inch off" (budget) rockwell build

epu5aje5.jpg

dagy7e8e.jpg

e5ytytun.jpg

Here is the chassis the day I picked it up. Bought off hardline.
u8u7a7y3.jpg

vynyjute.jpg

So I've got the subframe in. Made out of 2x2. With lower frame links.
ava6edev.jpg

Had to remove two foot of frame on rear and crossbar behind seats. So I built one out of 2x2 and tied it into subframe. But that's where my driveshaft wanted to be so had make a "hump". But it gives me a good place for my upper links to mount to.
qevyvage.jpg

Had a buddy cut all my axle mounts. Btf knock offs.
dupaqavu.jpg

Ran my suspension numbers I have not done upper frame mounts because they change the numbers so much. I'm not sure what numbers I want. But after having so much wheel hop I'm kinda scared of to much antisquat. I can move them about 5 inches vertically one set is max up and other is max down. Like I said I don't know squat about setting up 4 link so if you have any input please feel free to share.
rutyda6y.jpg

senute3y.jpg

Going to redo the entire front. Just haven't made it to that end, i started at rear and subframe. Next will be seats and drive line mounts. Still trying to decide if I want to solid mount or poly. I don't trust the chassis won't flex or bend in a roll over so probably go with poly. And I really want to run 180 degree headers but ever seen a set in person to see how much room they take up.

ynynura5.jpg

y5y9aqu3.jpg

Was going to mount everything under the dash. With the wilwood brake pedal from John G. And mount orbital close to driver with a short steering column, but didn't like how it was turning out. So mounted a removable 1/4 plate (firewall) and started mounting to it. Cut a pedal assembly out of a YJ. And mounted the master cylinders to engine side. Then Decided to ditch hydraulic clutch and use the manual chevy mech. Also going to mount orbital under the MC's, which gets it out of my crotch, lower, and shorter hoses.

Spent about an hour cutting these plates. I was going to run the bolts vertical on the front axle upper frame mounts. I'm not %100 I'm going to keep it like this. I did move it above the bracket.
6y2e6ymy.jpg

Made some thin walled links to cycle suspension looks like everything is good. I can go up till the front axle is 10 inches above belly.
uhusy4en.jpg

Got plenty of room to go with a wider tire.
emute7y9.jpg

Trying to figure out what "full bump" is going to be. I moved the frame mount up on front. I'm going to redo the front end.
ypyve9eg.jpg

I'm not sure how high to make the axle go above skid plate. But with a 2 piece drive shaft should be able to get 10 inches,if not more. Just need to make some decisions on the style of the front end.
a5eterug.jpg

Today was one of those day I feel like I actually feel like I got something accomplished. I've never used a bender today was my first time. I have no notcher just a plasma and grinder. This is when I started.
y5a3u9y9.jpg

Then 2 hours later
yre9a7yz.jpg

8egypyze.jpg

ejy4epyd.jpg

Got a little more done tonight. More TUBE!
I went a little stupid with the sock hops. But it looks cool and visibility is over rated.
asapa9ub.jpg

u3unu5a3.jpg

Got a little bracing done. Learning how to notch one piece at a time. Real happy how its turning out. Starting to think I should have just built a chassis from scratch.

aze3ega7.jpg

After looking at some of the other builds. I feel like I'm half assing mine. Maybe ill change the name to " half-assed ". I was going to take some tube to have it rolled but I'm happy with the way it's turning out. I did want a curved dash so I bent this by hand. Stuck it in the frame and bent a little at a time.
udupepy9.jpg

My little supports will add a little strength. It will tie into the steering column. Removable panels with gauges in center hole. Ill upgrade to a sealed battery mounted sideways in a prefab box. But this gets me started. It's a battery tray out of YJ. The supports use the same bolts that go through frame tabs that hold fire wall on. I'm trying to make everything removable.
ydeseqyb.jpg

Got firewall mounted with propane mocked up. Got bars placed for winch. Some diagonal bars going from shock hoops to firewall.

I also reused my motor mounts from the jeep. I made them when I did one ton swap and hated seeing them go to waste. Also changed front frame upper link mounts so bolts run horizontal.
Also I'm starting to think about color. I'm leaning towards something I can find easily for touch up. Probably end up spray canning it. I'm thinking dark blue with raw aluminum panels ( bobby tanner's color)
Granny Smith green (csc's poison ivy buggy)
Or white ( csc's white buggy)
Anyone got any suggestions for these colors in a rattle can?
All the blue I've tried looks like "Cinderella blue"

Latest posts