• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Tow Strap death

I think the shackle or whole shackle mount broke and that's what hit the guys.

Sent from the mans IPhone.

I've yet to understand how they can hand a 1" clevis off a receiver hitch that has a 5/8" pin in it. I understand the walls are close together so it is a close shear, but not out of the realm of possibility.
Whatever you're hooking to on the frame make sure its ****ing on there.

I cant watch it now that I'm at work, but looked like it was just hung over the hitch ball. No clevis or anything.

Well that almost made me sick but people should know better to be between there it looked like the hitch came out or it broke anyway that is bad

That right there is the reason I sound like "momma goose" every damn time our crew hooks a winch or strap up.
Can't tell u how many times I've had to tell a spectator ..."dude u know if that breaks it's comin right to you"
Then they look all surprised an get the hell out the way.

I watched a guy lose an eye to a broken strap about 10 years ago. He was stuck in a deep mud hole with two rigs tied inline yanking on him. The strap broke, flew back and blew his eyeball out. Ever since then i'm double cautious when extracting anything.

Whenever I'm extracting or towing someone... I'll use a heavy blanket or sweater and throw it over the top of the cable or strap in case it does let go... I could only imagine if that was steel winch cable!

TacomaJD said:
And entirely too close. :afro: :dunno:
Exactly I was clearing land and winching out dead trees or tree limbs and had a 86 year old man right in the way. Also whenever I dropped a tree he would stand right where I was trying to drop the thing and then if you operated anything with a bucket right in the way there too.... :gtfo:

I had a old man do me that way one time put up with it bout 30 mins then I lightly thrashed his ass with a willow tree top & he got the message. :gtfo: U hate to be an ass but people don't have common sense.

Wow that's an eye opener. Never stand at either end of a strap and make sure whatever your hooked to is strong. Just because your strap is rated for 40,000 lbs doesn't mean whatever your hooked to is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Adamw. said:
Wow that's an eye opener. Never stand at either end of a strap and make sure whatever your hooked to is strong. Just because your strap is rated for 40,000 lbs doesn't mean whatever your hooked to is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very true. I jerked off a front bumper once getting a guy out at Garyrock. Just because it had tow hooks and a winch, did not mean it was mounted correctly. He did look kind of funny wheeling the rest of the weekend with it strapped to the roof rack.