• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Never ending Samurai build...

Decided I wasn't a fan of the faded look my racelines were developing so I Plasti Dipped them. I went with their gunmetal grey, metalizer, and glossifier. I think it turned out pretty good.

I also pulled the dual diaphragm brake booster from the donor tracker and swapped it into my rig. I had to make a longer plunger and add roughly .75" to the brake pedal clevis. Brakes are much more powerful now... probably gonna pull it back apart and shorten the plunger a tad to get some more free play in the pedal. Then I'm gonna install an adjustable proportioning valve for the rear now that they definitely lock up before the front.

c43eb8fed3552c0205b3b5def9c6d013.jpg

e200b4731615c395dc50fd55aa44f29b.jpg

148de88bb585e14803d70a05c0bf3ea8.jpg

907aa12a78e6476ebe2fbb0ba4880d87.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

How are you liking the 4 speed trans? Was it worth the upgrade? Pros and Cons of each of the autos?
I'm kind of tired of running 3 pedals so I'm looking for some real world experience.

If I'd run the 3spd without boost I may have been ok with it.

The 4spd is nice. Put it in the gear you want and you got it...no questions asked. The extra gearing is also nice. You're gonna do the same amount of work to install either one so I'd go 4spd. It may cost a little more as far as setting up the shifter but its worth it. Not to mention the 4spd is gonna be around 10yrs newer too and more similar to other transmissions out there.

That's kind of what I was hoping for. I'm thinking I want the 2.0 and 4 speed like you have. Is the 2.0 much larger than the 1.6? I've tried finding pics of them side by side but had no luck.

Yeah it's quite a bit bigger...mostly height. If it's going in a buggy it's not much of a problem, but if you're stuffing it under a stock hood and behind the grill you're gonna be working in confined spaces pretty quick.

The auto trans...either one...will require cutting most of the sides of the trans tunnel out as well.

Thanks for the info. It would probably be in a buggy, I'm not really interested in changing the Popsicle up.

jta said:
Thanks for the info. It would probably be in a buggy, I'm not really interested in changing the Popsicle up.

You've got Art's Samurai - Popsicle? Good to hear its in good hands...not being changed to a buggy! Be sure and share the build when you get a chance.

clemsonjeep said:
You've got Art's Samurai - Popsicle? Good to hear its in good hands...not being changed to a buggy! Be sure and share the build when you get a chance.
Yeah I've had it for about 4 years now. I've changed the front suspension and axle but it still looks like the popsicle. It's a solid rig but I'm about ready for something else.

jta said:
Yeah I've had it for about 4 years now. I've changed the front suspension and axle but it still looks like the popsicle. It's a solid rig but I'm about ready for something else.

Good deal...do the 2.0...I'm happy with mine. I thought I'd be let down not having the turbo, but I haven't been yet. The power is more on demand than with the 1.6 and turbo and the 2.0 runs like it should at all times...cold, hot, sideways, etc.

clemsonjeep said:
Good deal...do the 2.0...I'm happy with mine. I thought I'd be let down not having the turbo, but I haven't been yet. The power is more on demand than with the 1.6 and turbo and the 2.0 runs like it should at all times...cold, hot, sideways, etc.
Are there 4 speed trans to avoid? I'm guessing you still need a 4x4 transmission due to the length?

jta said:
Are there 4 speed trans to avoid? I'm guessing you still need a 4x4 transmission due to the length?

I'd just look for a known low mile or as new as possible...just common sense stuff. Yeah the 4x4 trans is what you will want unless length isn't an issue. With the 4x4 trans you'll get the adapter from Trail Tough that presses into the back after you remove the stock tracker t-case. Then you cut the intermediate shaft down to size and the samurai t-case can stay in the stock location. With the 2wd trans you'd want to move the samurai t-case back to accommodate the intermediate shaft.

jta said:
Are you running a 6.5/1 transfer case? Do you feel like you need that low of gearing with the 2.0?

I like it. With the 4spd it's nice. Could I get away with a 4.16? Maybe...but I like to crawl.

clemsonjeep said:
I like it. With the 4spd it's nice. Could I get away with a 4.16? Maybe...but I like to crawl.
I was thinking about using the tracker/vitara transfer case instead of the samurai but I think I would want more than the 4.24 gears they offer for them.

Could do a Tracker/300 or Tracker/Toyota doubler. I was originally going 6.5:1 Sami t-case but now I'm going with the Tracker/Toyota setup with 4.7's in the Yota case. Stronger than the Sami case and more gear options.

Latest posts