• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

3rd Gen Cummins Clutch Reccomendations

smbroady82

Alright, So I have got an 06 2500 Cummins 6spd creeping up on 100k.

What are all you guys running for clutches?

I don't really drive it during the week b/c a have a company truck, and I tow every few weeks ( have a 25ft dual single wheel gooseneck, most of the time my Toyota and a four-wheeler or 4, sometimes 2 rigs)

What's good? bad? best bang for the buck? single/ dual disc?

Anybody vendors run good deals on them?

any help or feedback is greatly appreciated..

ready go!

I would just go back with a stock clutch...I put a south bend in my dads 07 he drove it for a week and I had to put a stock one back in because he couldn't stand the noise it made...it sounded like I was driving a old wore pulp wood truck...they are good clutches but for everyday driving I wouldn't recommend them

Both of my buddies have double disc South Bend clutches in theirs. They are strong enough to strip 3rd gear in a 6 speed.

Jacobmc said:
I would just go back with a stock clutch...I put a south bend in my dads 07 he drove it for a week and I had to put a stock one back in because he couldn't stand the noise it made...it sounded like I was driving a old wore pulp wood truck...they are good clutches but for everyday driving I wouldn't recommend them

Was it a double disc clutch?

Go with a south bend, give them a call and talk with them about what you want. Then order it from one of their dealers

Is your clutch actually needing replacement? Mine has 114,000 on what I believe to be the stock clutch. I've never been able to slip it. Granted, I don't tow more than about 8000lbs.

It has completly locked up 2x under load. And it doesn't release until the top of its "throw"
I would rather be safe than sorry, especially with towing heavy every few weeks

My truck has a 2nd gen Dodge setup and I put a Valair dual disc towing clutch in it. It is not very noisy and I can't slip it. I don't like having to shift slower to keep from grinding gears.

Re:

I also have a 2nd gen, 02 with a 6spd. I got the single disc valair, ceramic on one side Kevlar on the other. Works like a lot grabbier factory clutch. Holds to my 100hp sticks, cai, and quadzilla adrenaline. ..with. load on the trailer. :)
Installed 3 of these clutches probably 4 by the end of the month...all customers are happy with them.
My .02..;)

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

Re: Re: 3rd Gen Cummins Clutch Reccomendations

60fed0926d345af9398cc6eafc05fde4.jpg
my 07 5.9 has a dual disk ceramic and holds up to any abuse I can put it through, even the occasional pull.

All advice based on experience needs the clutch material used. Ceramic only is a different animal and not the best for towing or normal driving since the engagement is way to quick. Racing is its game. I think the G65 has a weaker stock clutch than a nv5600 also, so consider that in advice. Lots of info on towing forums and manufacturers websites but a correct compound from Vailair or South bend are the gold standard. For your stock truck pulling mild I would think a good organic replacement would do fine and have great manners.
I pull pretty hard (smarty Jr on tow mode running 75-80 for 4-6 hrs in 6th) and 17k with two rigs. Runs like a sewing machine but I am needing a replacement now also. If i try accelerating hard while pulling a long hill i have no problem slipping the clutch. On the third smarty setting i can't keep it engaged on big hills. I believe JJ remembers that. I am looking at the Vailair ceramic/kevlar for cost or dual disk organic.

http://www.thoroughbreddiesel.com/

Re: 3rd Gen Cummins Clutch Reccomendations

Highly recommend the Con OFE from south bend as a single disc for a cummins with a tuner. Great clutch and great service.

Mattman347 said:
Highly recommend the Con OFE from south bend as a single disc for a cummins with a tuner. Great clutch and great service.
I may go that route since I certainly haven't ruled it out. I know they post TQ ratings at the wheels and 800 at the crank is the most I would throw a it. I will probably need to get something after my next ride.
Thanks

Mattman347 said:

Matt, I plan on doing a turbo upgrade and possibly injectors in the future, would this clutch still work for that application?

thanks

SOUTHBEND hands down, plus they stand by their product. I had something go bad on my old 2002 cummins 6speed Dual disk 3600 clutch and they paid to have the shop replace the parts and put the new clutch in.

Rocket City Offroad put a Southbend in mine and its been pretty good with the exception of it being grabby while trying to back a trailer, Im used to it now though. It has also gotten a lot harder to shift as of lately so Im not sure what is going on. All things considered I would go with southbend again.