• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Cheap 14bolt steer axle

Re: Cheap 14bolt steer axle jana 76

mcrob0202 said:
i dont ever see anything about the jantz jana 76 swap

I think most people don't consider it once they realize that the 70 pinion splines are the same as 60 and that the 60 splines are already a known weak link.

If you can live with 5.38's though Currie makes a 35-spline HP70 gear set and I think that would be one bad-ass front end.

FS76 said:
I haven't seen anything on here about it ether. Has anyone tried it.
Cole Shirley did his before the 14 front. I asked him if it was worth me doing it and I quote "...I wish I would have put the money I spent on that towards a 14 bolt front...."

Want to add something here a hp 60 is really strong your shafts would work and driveshaft angle is improved! Buy a cheap stripped ball joint ford 60 and rutube for chevy drop! Contact EOR for the parts for this conversion! thumb.gif

al1tonyota said:
Want to add something here a hp 60 is really strong your shafts would work and driveshaft angle is improved! Buy a cheap stripped ball joint ford 60 and rutube for chevy drop! Contact EOR for the parts for this conversion! thumb.gif
Not a bad plan so long as the driver isn't shearing pinion shafts or blowing up the locker. A HP D60 wouldn't help in those areas.

jordan7118 said:
Not a bad plan so long as the driver isn't shearing pinion shafts or blowing up the locker. A HP D60 wouldn't help in those areas.
Well lockers are gay and for pu$$y's! And I ran a 383 with stickies and never broke a pinion. For what it seems they are tying to do here this would be the easiest cheapest way to get a lot more strength!

I ran a hp60 in my buggy when I had tons under it, I never had ring and pinion failures, I
Was having axle shaft issues and didn't want to buy rcv's so I went with rockwells , hp60 is very strong , I believe Bobby tanner ran one along time before the 14 bolt, don't get me wrong, the 14bt with rcv's would be the way to go in 40spline, but he's lookin for something in the 1000$ range with existing parts not 5000$ range

I wish yall was closer to TN. I bet I could get you a gear to live in that lp 60. :****:

i have broke to ring and pinions in my lp60, I though bout getting 14b from local scrapyard and calling wideopen design getiing a set his inner 14b front shafts then robbing all the outers off my 60. seems like it be cheap and tough setup :dunno:

I've seen numerous ring and pinon failures on buggies with 44" tires in the last two years bouncing with low pinon 60, I think the deflection caused by the low pinon is just two much to have shock load

Elliott said:
I wish yall was closer to TN. I bet I could get you a gear to live in that lp 60. :****:

PM me, I'd be interested to hear what you have? I go through 1 or 2 gear sets a year.

I picked up a ford superduty center section to build a passenger drop hp. I can't fit a 14b in my buggy. Was thinking about going with the currie gear set possibly.

Greg runs the Jana Kit in his buggy Heart Attack and as far as I know he hasn't killed a Ring and Pinion yet. Like was said earlier I did break the Janakit but I think a lot had to do with the fact my locker was wore out and causing a lot of slop in the gear set, if that makes sense.
HEART ATTACK BOUNCES TO THE TOP

I have a bouncer and have no problem laughin either, they are amazing little rigs, comp buggies are the same way, they are super light and geared
Low with low hp and stickies they will go anywhere ... But there like watching golf on tv... Not much fun to watch but fun to drive!

Latest posts