• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Enclosed trailer questions/opinions

I think I am going to try and buy me a Gooseneck enclosed trailer next year, I have loved having my little enclosed trailer for my rzr and totes plus I camped in it a RBD and it was pretty nice.

Cole said:
I think I am going to try and buy me a Gooseneck enclosed trailer next year, I have loved having my little enclosed trailer for my rzr and totes plus I camped in it a RBD and it was pretty nice.

Hey that's what I should do! Sell my Toyota and just buy a smaller 16' enclosed and an older 800S Gayzr! .......haha kidding. Although while exhausting my options, the thought has crossed my mind.....but only for like half a second, then it was gone. :flipoff1:

TacomaJD said:
Tag would probably be a bit more important on an enclosed though :dunno:

Tag is important on any trailer you plan to drive out of state. I live in SC where tags arent required kn trailers, so when buying a used one i have to make sure they have a title because a lot of them dont. If i was pulled over in VA without a tag theyd give me a ticket. Technically I could fight it in court since my home state does not require the trailer to be tagged...BUT is it worth that...AND if the cop that pulls you really wants to be a pain he'll be sure to find one or two more things to get you for while he's at it. Great example is when i drive to Harlan i travel through SC to NC to TN to VA to KY so Im subject to getting pulled several times. Not to mention trips to CO or UT...

For the cost of a tag...just do it.

I've been thinking aboit this too, JD make sure you measure your rig and ask about the door dimensions! I found one my rig would fit in, if it would have had another 2 inches of height on the door. My buggy is 14', and a 16' v nose would be perfect for me to put what little I take with me and not so big that I would have to get a bigger truck (although I should get one anyways). There was a smoking deal on a 20' haulmark on huntsville cl awhile back for 2500 bux.

Get you a camper awning on the side and add a couple of rv style windows cut in it, air mattress, led lights inside, possibilities are endless for nice upgrades.

TacomaJD said:
Hey that's what I should do! Sell my Toyota and just buy a smaller 16' enclosed and an older 800S Gayzr! .......haha kidding. Although while exhausting my options, the thought has crossed my mind.....but only for like half a second, then it was gone. :flipoff1:

HAHA, this was my first year without a buggy or jeep in probably 10 years, and my bank account shows :****:

I've been wanting to do the same thing but I think I'm gonna go with a gooseneck. If you are buying a trailer new you should be able to upgrade the axles.

hopefully this will help....

just got rid of a 32' crawler hauler (camper built on GN). downsized to a 24' enclosed for several reasons. wanted more security for the new buggy, wanted less weight to pull around and still wanted a place to sleep. my buggy will be about 14' long total.

I'll build a bunk in the front to sleep on and still have decent floor space when the buggy is inside. also had an extra vent put in so I can add an AC/heat unit this spring. it also has a 30a service box so I can plug into campgrounds

some important things to look for...... rear door wide enough for your junk, door rated for weight, axles, height inside

I ordered a plus 12" height and a 95" wide rear door. this way I have plenty of room to drive up onto the drive over fenders. I also upgraded the axles to 6k axles. this way they are 8 lug and have 16" rims and will carry more than enough weight after adding more crap.

feel free to ask any questions
I ended up buying an MTI enclosed. I"m getting the wheels powdercoated black to go with the theme :dblthumb:

You guys with the 8.5' wide trailers, what is the width between the fenders, and what are they constructed out of? Did you have to build a drive over fender?

grcthird said:
You guys with the 8.5' wide trailers, what is the width between the fenders, and what are they constructed out of? Did you have to build a drive over fender?

I built a drive over on drivers side only.

Re:

Trailer capacity never takes in affect the weight of the trailer. The weight must be subtracted from the carrying capacity to see what it can haul. For an enclosed I would want brakes on both axles.

Inside dims on my current car hauler is 84" in between the fenders and I squeeze by with maybe an inch or less on both sides. I should have no problem fitting between fenders on an 8.5" wide enclosed.

grcthird said:

the inner fenders are something like 83-84" I think. my rig is around 91" sidewall to sidewall. we'll be building drive over fenders on both sides to be safe. the stock inner fenders are thin AL

also adding a battery box up front and a winch point as well.

JD I did the same thing sold my 18' hauler and put the money towards the enclosed I got 2014 with 5k axles for right at 6k all black. I would post a pic for ya but it takes me forever here lol

Re:

It may take longer than I was hoping to get one then. If I'm gonna buy, might as well get a good one that will also retain good resale value in case I change directions again one day. This thread served well, helping me establish clear direction. Time to pinch pennies!

Maybe I can work around and keep my hauler too. Hate to need to haul a load of lumber or something similar and an enclosed be the only trailer I have. Guess we'll just see how 2015 goes. Also guess this can be my New Years resolution molaugh