• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Maxxis 42" Comp Trepador coming

socsmm6 said:
off subject but why have they not made a smaller sx sticky?
I asked that of a Interco rep as well as why the 38 or 38.5 SX isn't offered in a 17. She said the main issue is expense of mold for the 17 and the cost of shooting "sticky" compound. I think a 38x12.5 / 17 or 38.5x14.5/17 sticky would be the best tire ever made :popcorn:

I never understood that. The bigger the rim size, the less rubber, though higher price. There must be a lot more to making tires than i imagined.

Re: Re: Maxxis 42" Comp Trepador coming

Beerj said:
I never understood that. The bigger the rim size, the less rubber, though higher price. There must be a lot more to making tires than i imagined.
The machining cost of a tire mold is a LOT.

Beerj said:

It's an extremely complex procedure. Their are so many steps and products into building big tires, most people have no idea. A lot of people think you just pour rubber into mold but its a lot harder than that and very physical work.

Cole said:
It's an extremely complex procedure. Their are so many steps and products into building big tires, most people have no idea. A lot of people think you just pour rubber into mold but its a lot harder than that and very physical work.

Could you elaborate? I am curious.

TBItoy said:
The machining cost of a tire mold is a LOT.
Yes but is it that much of a difference in cost between machining a 17" mold as apposed to a 15"?

Beerj said:
Yes but is it that much of a difference in cost between machining a 17" mold as apposed to a 15"?
It may just be the capital to put into having another mold built. You would think they could funnel some of the profit from the sales of 43" SX to fund a mold for the 38/38.5 SX for a 17" wheel???

I don't know how tire molds work, but it would be cool / smart / financially efficient if they had a mold with different inserts or tooling to be able to swap out just the portion of the mold that dictates rim size.

Cole, can you offer any intel on mold design or how that works? Can you swap pieces out of a mold to go to different wheel sizes, or have to build a whole new mold?

Cole said:

I know you've stated before that BFG doesn't give a rip about making a legit 42" rock tire (current 42" Krawler doesn't count) but you think this would light a fire under them?

AllGoNoShow said:
Could you elaborate? I am curious.

Sorry it's way to much to type plus Im not supposed to talk about our process on an open forum. Believe it or not but BFG knows about hardline.

redneckengineered said:
I know you've stated before that BFG doesn't give a rip about making a legit 42" rock tire (current 42" Krawler doesn't count) but you think this would light a fire under them?

No I don't think it will influence them at all because no trophy truck is going to run them and there will be very few ultra4 cars that run them. They can't keep them together with 39s let alone 42s. I would almost bet that a 42" Trep would weigh more than a 43" SX

Cole said:
No I don't think it will influence them at all because no trophy truck is going to run them and there will be very few ultra4 cars that run them. They can't keep them together with 39s let alone 42s. I would almost bet that a 42" Trep would weigh more than a 43" SX

Kinda thought so. If it's heavier than a 43 SX that will suck ass.

jordan7118 said:
It may just be the capital to put into having another mold built. You would think they could funnel some of the profit from the sales of 43" SX to fund a mold for the 38/38.5 SX for a 17" wheel???

I don't know how tire molds work, but it would be cool / smart / financially efficient if they had a mold with different inserts or tooling to be able to swap out just the portion of the mold that dictates rim size.

Cole, can you offer any intel on mold design or how that works? Can you swap pieces out of a mold to go to different wheel sizes, or have to build a whole new mold?

Why 17" rim? I know alot of ppl are running them now, but I would be fine if they simply used the sticky compound with the current 38.5" SX molds.

Depending on the price I would possibly try to sell mine now and get these tires. The extra ground clearance would be nice. And I will always believe with all of my heart that the 40" trep is the best all-around tire.. NOT for out west where it's all rock ( reds for the win) and not a **** ton of muddy conditions all the time(PROB 43"SX) But I truly believe that it is the best tire made for where we wheel and they type of wheelin most of us do, but honestly then again they're all bad ass tires! . Of course depending on the weight that would have a big impact on my decision. I'm really interested to know the price and weight though. The ONLY reason I considered maybe selling or trading for some 43's because of the ground clearance.

kushKrawlin said:
Depending on the price I would possibly try to sell mine now and get these tires. The extra ground clearance would be nice. And I will always believe with all of my heart that the 40" trep is the best all-around tire.. NOT for out west where it's all rock ( reds for the win) and not a **** ton of muddy conditions all the time(PROB 43"SX) But I truly believe that it is the best tire made for where we wheel and they type of wheelin most of us do, but honestly then again they're all bad ass tires! . Of course depending on the weight that would have a big impact on my decision. I'm really interested to know the price and weight though. The ONLY reason I considered maybe selling or trading for some 43's because of the ground clearance.
Wouldn't it be cheaper to adjust your suspension?

Agree, treps are the best all around tire. Loren Healy was trying to pass at KOH behind someone with treps, and said those tires had a lot of roost. He went to pass and hit a berm for a 90 mph endo.

redneckengineered said:
Kinda thought so. If it's heavier than a 43 SX that will suck ass.

Looks like a 40/13.50/17 trep weighs 99lbs and a 43/14.50/17 SX weighs 123lbs so yeah it will be close. I'm guessing their new 42" trep will weigh slightly less than the SX, probably somewhere in the 115-120lb range. We'll see.

One thing's for sure, Interco is selling the crap out of their 43 sticky. I can only assume that Maxxis is coming out with a 42 to compete with interco for those wanting a good all around sticky tire larger than 40" I'd like to see bfg join the party as well and develop a new 42/17 red label crawler. I bet the trailer park panty dropper buggy would love to be running a new set of 42/17 red labels if they were an option.

tallnate said:
Looks like a 40/13.50/17 trep weighs 99lbs and a 43/14.50/17 SX weighs 123lbs so yeah it will be close. I'm guessing their new 42" trep will weigh slightly less than the SX, probably somewhere in the 115-120lb range. We'll see.

One thing's for sure, Interco is selling the crap out of their 43 sticky. I can only assume that Maxxis is coming out with a 42 to compete with interco for those wanting a good all around sticky tire larger than 40" I'd like to see bfg join the party as well and develop a new 42/17 red label crawler. I bet the trailer park panty dropper buggy would love to be running a new set of 42/17 red labels if they were an option.

I'd buy them tomorrow son!

tallnate said:

Thought they make 42" reds.