• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Moab Info Needed

3DCrawler

Planning a trip next year April or May of 2016. I have never been and would like some information. I will be towing out with a 40ft RV and was wondering what campground would be best to stay at that is near the good trails and scenic areas. I have an untagged buggy so I'm not sure if I have to drive on the road any and if the popo doesn't like that. Any help would be appreciated.

3DCrawler said:
Planning a trip next year April or May of 2016. I have never been and would like some information. I will be towing out with a 40ft RV and was wondering what campground would be best to stay at that is near the good trails and scenic areas. I have an untagged buggy so I'm not sure if I have to drive on the road any and if the popo doesn't like that. Any help would be appreciated.

EVERYTHING in Moab is scenic, lol. The trails are spread around and *most* all of them are close to wherever you will be staying. I have stayed at Moab Rim Camppark and Moab valley RV park. Both good overall. There is the Portal (part of slickrock campground) very popular. Canyonlands RV park is right in the middle of town. You can walk to most anything from here. The only good open space camping close anymore is out off of Kane Creek blvd, past Poison Spider Mesa. Thats probably not the best place for a 40ft RV though. There are so many RV parks in Moab now, its silly. Google them and use google map street view and see what appeals to ya.

Most of the classic Moab trails are easy to get to from town and close so you can get by without tags. Usually the popo aren't too bad, but they do randomly harass you. Its never consistent. If you go out to Area BFE (and you will want to do this) Haul everything out there it make it base camp. Its a few miles east of town and kind of its own entity.

Moab is the happiest place on earth, it will add years to your life :****:

Everytime we went (6 or 7 times) we stayed at slickrock campground. http://www.slickrockcampground.com/reservations.html There wheeler friendly, and usually have propane onsite if your buggy runs on it. They don't seem too be picky about doing repairs on site also. Have built driveshafts, rebuilt front ends, replaced fuel tanks all in there park with no questions.
On the no tag buggy, If you have someone else coming out with a tagged vehicle, keep them behind you. If your rolling solo, DONT drive like a ****. If you do, they will pop you. If your nice and respectful, you should be fine. My Jeep and Yota both had tags, but no fenders and 42's so I was carefull. None of our club ever was hassled.

Go too Area BFE!

Potato salad hill is fun, and something you should hit, It isn't difficult but is pretty famous.

Rusty nail is a good trail, fairly difficult in spots. Its more fun running it backwards.

Be sure too pack food and water, some trails can take a long ass time too complete depending on trail traffic.

Any other questions, feel free too pm me.

The most important thing: Eat at Milts. Its a burger stand in town. Bacon cheese burgers :eat: :eat:

Zaks was my go to spot for almost all dinners.

Breakfast was none other than Moab Diner. Can't beat the food or price!

As far as original question goes though I'm not sure on a campground. There are tons of them out there from inside town to the outskirts. I saw plenty of larger setups on the South side of town at campgrounds off of 191. Don't know any of the names though.

I've only been during Easter Jeep Safari so there were so many rigs running around the cops didn't mess with hardly anyone unless you were being stupid. Many of the hardcore guys I saw were trailering to parking lots just outside of trailheads. So during a non-event week I'm not sure how strict the law would be for you.

We always camp at BFE. Keep going past the parking lot on the gravel road and find a spot that fits all the rigs. Running into town takes about 10-15 minutes, we have done it in buggies & Jeeps on 42s with no problems. Don't drive like a ****. :****:

Latest posts