• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

CARNIE

Eddyj

I was going to wait until I got to ride with a couple more of you until I started this, but another off season has come and gone and I'm just now finishing my rig. I don't really care to be know as the "carnie" but I do own a medium sized carnival. I am fourth generation in this business. I move 15 rides, 8 games, and about 4 concessions depending on the week. I am based out of Birmingham Al. I set up around bham in the spring and fall. During the summer month I make my way to Missouri and back traveling approximately 100 miles a week. We are normally open Thursday through Saturday. We move equipment on Sunday and Monday.

My carnival is small enough that I can keep control of my employees, by which I mean I am trying to change the opinion of the typical "carnie" that comes to your small town. Our operation is a Christian based organization with ties to many churches. Including Gardendale first baptist and church of highlands. We try to hire people that are looking to improve their life and are unable to in their current situation. I have never turned down anyone who can act appropriately with children and are willing to work. However I do criminal and sexual offender background checks on all my employees and refuse to hire out of country, which has become the norm in my industry.

A few people on this board have came out and seen my operation and I invite any member to bring your family and have a good time in a family friendly atmosphere.

I'm in Moody Al this week doing a fundraiser for my local fire dept.
next week is Trussville Al, for spring brake.
April 24-25 I'll have concessions at Indy of bham ( barbers race track in Leeds Al ),
that same weekend the rides will be in Gardendale Al at magnolia festival.

I have got to stop and see you, I live about 3 miles from the trussville site. Can't tell you how many times I've drove by when you had it setup.

How do you establish where you will go? Do you deal with the property owners exclusively, the city, county, all? Where do you pay taxes? Are you looking to expand?

I plan on bringing my concessions to any major event I attend, that will have me.

As far as my routing I'm pretty established in where I go. Most places I've been going to for years and as the event grows so does my operation. There are also statewide fair conventions that all of the entertainment ( singers, demo derby, truck pulled organizers) all attend. Your county and state fairs book the carnival and entertainment at. Which is just an excuse for fairboard members to get away from their lives for a weekend and act like complete retards. These are held in the off season. I usually attend four and have to host my fair boards.

As far as taxes go I pay everybody. Every city, county, and states. Tax man cometh and the tax man taketh away.

That's my families land. There are actually 3 different carnivals that use that land to store their rides, but yes I'm one of them. We are in moody right now.

I'm from Gibsoton,FL so I grew up with the carnie's around and went to school with their kids. It' can be a rough bunch for sure. I bet finding good help is tough.

First off I would just like to say I'm sorry. Gibtown is its own little universe. molaugh that would be the stereotypical "carnie" image that I'm trying to avoid. Although I know some awesome people who live there as well.

For those of you following along gibtown is a town in Florida. That the majority of the carnivals this side of the rocky mountains spend the off season. Also we have a large week long fair that is not open to the public. Where ride manufacturers debut the new rides and you take rides to swap with others to keep you operation updated.

I was working all weekend in Trussville al. I will be here all week and this upcoming weekend. If anybody wants to stop by text me and I'll hook you up. Thanks (205)910-8578.
Just like to send a :flipper: to everyone who got to go to grey rock while I worked 20 miles away.

:popcorn:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    762.8 KB · Views: 147