• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Metal in the eye....not any more.

FlatlandFSJ

who's been there? how'd you deal with it?

Caught a little piece under my glasses the otherday, been aggravating the hell outta me and Im wondering if I should go to the ER or if they are just gonna give me eye drops and say dont scratch it? Last time it happened it took 3-4 days for it to work its way out. This will be day 3, in the morning. I can see the little piece stuck in my eye, sooo close yet sooo far away.

Re: Metal in the eye....

I'm no expert, but I would be headed to the er. You don't want to **** around with your vision.

Been there, done that. The big concern is that it will start to rust and they will actually have to drill that out as well. If it's still there and you can see it and flushing your eye hasn't helped, go to the ER. They will remove it and you'll feel instantly better and be good as new the next morning. You only have 2 eyes...

Yea. That's what i was afraid of. I hate the dam ER with a passion. Im actually not sure ifs its a piece of metal, or if its a chunk of grinder wheel. I guess either way Ill head up there in the morning, just cant stand sitting in a hospital with a buncha sick people.

My brother had a piece of metal get into his eye a few years ago. They cut his eye open above and below the pupil and he had to put in eye drops every 15 minutes. That's not every 15 minutes while you're awake, that's EVERY 15 minutes. This went on for 4 months and finally the doctor cut it back to every 30 minutes for the next 3 months. They thought he had completely lost his vision in his right eye. Shits no joke, go to the doctor.

Yep, been there. It sucks....I would get to the Doc. Let them get it out. You will be very light sensitive for a week, but then you'll be back to 100%, Dont chance it with your eyes....

Keep a stout magnet around because of this crap. If I even think I got metal in my eye I wash my eyes out and put the magnet by it. Has worked once. Other three times ment trips to the doc to get it pulled out and once they had to get a air drill similar what dentist use and grind away some rust soaked tissue. Each time ment a eye patch for a minimum of 2 days and once for a week.

It ain't no joke and the longer u wait the worse it is. U should have been to the eye doctor already.

And for the record, with the exception of the first time I was wearing safety glasses every time. When you work with metal evey day 8 to 18 hrs a day shits gonna happen.

I've had metal rust in my eye. Had to get the rust drilled out. Long story short go to the Er.

Agree with all of the above. I waited a few days and went right to an optometrist. He numbed my eye and stuck a needle it and got the piece of metal out. I told him I tried the magnet trick, he told me it would work if it hadnt been so deep. He said I was lucky I came in when I did as my eye was starting to heal over when the metal was. I had to wear the ole pirate patch for a week or so.

I had a bit of something in my eye, not sure if it was metal or like you said, grinding wheel crap. But it was extremely aggravating, every time I blinked. Went to the ER and they gave me a numbing eye drop and got it out with a q-tip. But that relief I felt as soon as it was out was a godsend. I thought I was gonna go crazy.

Got it out :woot: Thats exactly what they did beerj :****: Im guessing it was grinder wheel in my eye, i sat around most of last night with the triple stacked magnets from a 18" sub right by my eye, didnt get it so I dont think it was metal

My eye looks like a terminator, but vision is good and its only a little sore looking around. Ive always worn glasses running the grinder, this isn't the first time it has shot a piece up under my glasses, off my cheek and into my eye. I know guys that have never had anything in their eye and never wear glasses...guess I just have good aim?

Maybe I should swap the thread around to Best eye protection? I'm going to the store to find me a new pair of glasses and more then likely one of the clear full face masks after the ride today. Anything you guys found that works well? Im thinking when it comes to a mask....a mask is a mask is a mask right?

Should I just spend the extra and upgrade to an autodimmer helmet for both? Anyone using their autodim for a faceshield,hows it work?

Full freakin face shield !!

This happened twice to me. Once with glasses

My eye is permanently red/bloodshot from a rust ring. Luckily it's on the outside edge so it's not terribly noticeable. When the Opthamologist broke out his version of a Dremel tool and started grinding away at my eye I realized it was time for a change in the shop.

2010 Jim's Garage 4429
2012 Jim's Garage YJ
2013 Wide Open Design WFO

I've got metal in my eye twice, the problem is it rusts. I went to an eye doc and he had to drill the rust out with what looked like a dremmel tool while you tried to hold your eye open. But that was 15 years ago, things may be different now,

Ive been there done that! I didn't go to the ER but I would get my ass to the eye doctor ASAP!. Can't play with your vision.

Gittinit said:
It ain't no joke and the longer u wait the worse it is. U should have been to the eye doctor already.

You don't think posting on an offroad forum would be better??

JAYZUS! Go now! I've heard of folks waiting and the metal gets rusty. If I was positive that metal was in my eye, I'd drop my **** where it was sitting and go.

This is why I've stopped wearing only glasses when cutting/grinding... full face clear shield now. Lowes over by the lawn mowers.

My eye Dr told me the magnet approach was not the way to go
Said if it was deep enough pulling it out could cause the fluid in your eye
To leak outa the hole. I go straight to the Dr

Updated thread title so everyone isnt thinking Im chilling with a piece of **** in my eye :wtflol: I went to the ER about 330 this morning, took them about 20 mins and a hundred bucks.

I use a grocery store discount card to scrape stuff off my eye, if it is really stuck on there. ( make sure you're not scraping with the little tits left from the perforation). The card is sharp enough to get what ever is stuck, unstuck. But not sharp enough to cut the eye. And getting it off your eye as soon as it gets on there, makes all the difference in the world. Waiting just makes the eye more sensitive.

Latest posts