• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Floor Material/Thickness

Beerj

Sonzabitches!
What are yall using on your floors in your buggies? I want to go with solid to keep mud and crap from coming up through. Also not sure if I should go steel or aluminum. I don't have aluminum welding capabilities right now so everything would have to bolt together. Steel can be welded and is cheaper but it will also need to be painted. I know one of the most reputable shops uses 16ga for dashes but what about the floor? Thanks

My floors and panels are .090 aluminum.
I used trick tabs with captive nuts and these from McMaster Carr to bolt it all together.
D525D617A60443278001CA81C6159DA3.jpg

That looks like it'll do the trick. I priced out .080 alum, $93 per 4x8 sheet. Can't imagine the floor and sides will take much more than 2 sheets. Thanks guys.

I am using 16ga steel for my floors and dash. I wanted to use aluminum but I don't have anything to weld it with.

My steel was about $50 per 4x8 sheet

Hmmm. Maybe I'll get the framework of the interior done and see if the panels will require welding. I'm gonna shoot for aluminum though. It'd be nice to just hit it with a wire wheel and call it good. No paint and/or rust.

On most of the high end hot rods I do the floor one are 18 ga - 20 ga sheet metal. They are flimsy at first until it's all tied in together. Making them 3 dimensionally increases the strength substantially.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    755.5 KB · Views: 102
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    557.1 KB · Views: 106
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    683 KB · Views: 95
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    442.9 KB · Views: 105
Damn dude. Thats flashemifyougotem. Unfortunately, I don't have the tools or skills to do that. Probably have to settle for slightly thicker material.

I am doing a combination of steel and aluminum. The transmission hump, footwells and the area under the seats that will be over the driveshaft and exhaust is steel and everything else is aluminum. I based mine upon what I thought would need the most protection and would add strength, everything else is aluminum. .090 is what I believe for aluminum and 1/8 for the steel.

Latest posts