• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Random Thoughts

Re: Random Thoughts

Sketchy future at my job as in if it is not closed in 5 years or less, or at least workforce cut in half, I will be surprised. I've been there 10.5 years full time and only have less than 30 ppl under me in seniority, which is why I'm still on 2nd shift. Very little turn around because it has been a great job in the area. If they lay any off, it will get me, as it goes purely by seniority. They recently started offering voluntary furloughs, a first since I have been there. Our plant manager has already announced his exit, he's gone in a month or so. One of the chief finance guys said last week that the only reason we have not already had to close our doors is because of our VPI tank (vacuum pressure impregnation) and the new friction stir welder machine (it's bigger than a mega cab dually). Apparently 2 key pieces of equipment that others that do what we do don't have. But it appears we are hanging on by a thread. The market forecasters are saying the global market for big gas turbines has changed (we build the generators for those) and they don't see it ever being what it once was. We are losing out to GE in technology, and the whole pie (gas turbine market) is smaller now too - double whammy revenue loss.

TVA is a great company, everybody I know that works with TVA plans to retire with them. It will be another job in the energy field for me, and the start out pay there for pretty much the same job I do now is close to what I would hope to make if I got a low scale office job at my current work. Big city wages vs small city wages. Job title is Nuclear Material Handler level 1. It's a fancy name for shipping/receiving in a nuclear plant. I'm haz-mat certified already and perform all functions in it's job description as well, so I don't see any other applicant being any more qualified for the job than nyself.

As for time with kiddo, I dont see my wife at all mon-fri pretty much, and only see the young'n when I carry him to school each morning. Weekends are pretty much all I get to see anybody besides coworkers. She works 1st, I work 2nd. She will be able to quit working if I get this job, with plans of making a little extra by subbing at his school in the lunchroom or whatever. Just something to make a little extra and still be able to carry him to and pick him up from school. Then I would be on dayshift and be able to see them every night and live a normal life. **** 2nd shift.

Regarding school, I have 5 classes left to finish my 2 year degree, but if I got the new job, I wouldn't really be that worried about finishing school. There is enough room to advance there without a degree. $80k+ should be easily obtainable later on. But depending on how it works out, I could take evening classes and STILL see my family more than I do now. 2nd shift shits on everything.

Start out pay on the job I applied for is $65,785 base annual salary, not including performance bonuses and overtime pay. So I wouldn't think $70k annually would be a far stretch starting out. 401k is better than my current one too. I contribute 6%, they will match it, and contribute another 6%. So 2:1 of what I contribute up to 6%. Hard to beat. They only match 6% at my current job - 1:1.

Driving sucks, but I will have the advantage of making big city wages with small city cost of living. If I were to move to Chattanooga, my house would cost double what I gave for it. I'm easily entertained with music while driving and I love Chattanooga, so I don't see the drive being anything more than a minor adaptation period.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Re:

Might have to sell the Malibu and buy a Prius or something Lol. Malibu gets 23/27 mpg, not good enough for adding 800 extra miles of driving per week.

But I may not get the job, who knows. Hell I've bid on damn near every production job at work over the past few years trying to get more pay and a better shift, but it's all based on seniority and I basically have none. Lol. I applied for an office job I know I had full capability to do and got beat out by a German woman that was married to a German engineer that worked there already, they were over on a work visa. So if I don't get this job, I suppose I'll just add it to the list of others I didn't get. But I'm hoping for a career break. My buddy that works there said one good thing is that if it's already posted externally, they've already posted it internally and didn't fill it. So politics shouldn't play a part in who gets it.

Politics ALWAYS plays a part in crap like this. It may not have worked out internally because they already have somebody's uncle's, cousin's, friend's, daughter's middle school boy friend's dad that they want to get it. Try like crazy to form some kind of connection there. I don't mean kiss ass and suck cock, just a casual connection, which I'm sure you already know what I mean. The smallest, meaningless connection or "networking" I guess it's called, can do unbelievable things. Good luck. Nothing sucks worse than job and/or financial problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I came here to rant, but got sidetracked with JD's job stuff. Anyway, let me start out by saying, I'M NOT PICKY OR HARD TO PLEASE, but damn. Just.....damn. Anybody else have an ongoing issue trying to order water with your value meal? NOT, charge me extra for bottled water. NOT, punish me and give me a cup the size of a thimble. NOT, type 'tea' on my receipt and give me tea AND a water. Every restaurant is different and every employee handles this "problem" differently. What I've discovered, in my quest for simply drinking water with my meal, is their register, computer, point of sale, or whatever, will not let them select water for a drink. You would not believe the confusion and problem it causes. The end result has become comical and entertaining. I don't complain, or usually say anything, but it's unreal. I'm not trying to save money, or add cost by requesting a special beverage. HELL, charge me for a coke, and fill the damn thing with ice and water! I don't understand why it's not an option on their doo hickey by now. It's been a struggle for me for years.

While I'm at it, just because I say; "just cheese and ketchup, please," does not mean that I LOVE ketchup want 4 times as much as normal. Just the normal amount and hold all the other stuff. It happens every time. Request just ketchup, it comes out dripping out of the wrapper. I just get it normal now and pick it all off. Hate to complain about such nit picky stuff, but this is a random thought thread.

Re: Re: Random Thoughts

tyldyl12 said:
I came here to rant, but got sidetracked with JD€™s job stuff. Anyway, let me start out by saying, I€™M NOT PICKY OR HARD TO PLEASE, but damn. Just.....damn. Anybody else have an ongoing issue trying to order water with your value meal? NOT, charge me extra for bottled water. NOT, punish me and give me a cup the size of a thimble. NOT, type €˜tea€™ on my receipt and give me tea AND a water. Every restaurant is different and every employee handles this €œproblem€ differently. What I€™ve discovered, in my quest for simply drinking water with my meal, is their register, computer, point of sale, or whatever, will not let them select water for a drink. You would not believe the confusion and problem it causes. The end result has become comical and entertaining. I don€™t complain, or usually say anything, but it€™s unreal. I€™m not trying to save money, or add cost by requesting a special beverage. HELL, charge me for a coke, and fill the damn thing with ice and water! I don€™t understand why it€™s not an option on their doo hickey by now. It€™s been a struggle for me for years.

While I€™m at it, just because I say; €œjust cheese and ketchup, please,€ does not mean that I LOVE ketchup want 4 times as much as normal. Just the normal amount and hold all the other stuff. It happens every time. Request just ketchup, it comes out dripping out of the wrapper. I just get it normal now and pick it all off. Hate to complain about such nit picky stuff, but this is a random thought thread.

They need that $15/hr minimum wage before they get it right.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Re: Re:

TacomaJD said:
Might have to sell the Malibu and buy a Prius or something Lol. Malibu gets 23/27 mpg, not good enough for adding 800 extra miles of driving per week.

But I may not get the job, who knows. Hell I've bid on damn near every production job at work over the past few years trying to get more pay and a better shift, but it's all based on seniority and I basically have none. Lol. I applied for an office job I know I had full capability to do and got beat out by a German woman that was married to a German engineer that worked there already, they were over on a work visa. So if I don't get this job, I suppose I'll just add it to the list of others I didn't get. But I'm hoping for a career break. My buddy that works there said one good thing is that if it's already posted externally, they've already posted it internally and didn't fill it. So politics shouldn't play a part in who gets it.

Tell am yer daddy is a Mason and that should get ya in.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

**** jd needs to get in on that hire a handicap person, be American and sue em lol. Gotta have a few blacks,wimmins, messican, and at least a European or two

Zjman said:
**** jd needs to get in on that hire a handicap person, be American and sue em lol. Gotta have a few blacks,wimmins, messican, and at least a European or two

Haha that's one thing I won't ever do is play the handicap card.

Re:

Only thing I have is the handicap hangtag to hang from mirror when I can't find reasonable parking, otherwise I don't use it. Comes in handy going to big events and at school when parking is packed lol.

TacomaJD said:

You don't have to play it for long. Just till you get what ya want. Works for others.....

TacomaJD said:
Only thing I have is the handicap hangtag to hang from mirror when I can't find reasonable parking, otherwise I don't use it. Comes in handy going to big events and at school when parking is packed lol.

Ah-ha! You ever use it on your bike? Probably not necessary since most bikers just park on the sidewalk, next to the pool table or wherever they feel like.

LightBnDr said:
Thats what everybody who works inside behind a desk says

Hey only about 50-60% of my time is spent behind a desk, the rest is spent in a climate controlled shop :smoke: :flipoff1:

Rode my bike to work today, went out for lunch a little bit ago. This is my favorite weather to ride in.

Re:

TacomaJD said:
Just submitted my resume and completed application for a new job. Holy **** that feels weird. Nov 30th will be 12 years at my current job. Damn good job opportunity at Sequoyah Nuclear Plant in Soddy Daisy, TN if it works out. It's doing exactly what I do now, but for a lot more money and better benefits. Cross all you fawkers' fingers for me, I need it! Job posting comes down Monday, so maybe I will know something soon.

Well did you get the job?

Re: Re:

bjeep said:
Well did you get the job?
Ain't heard anything yet, so it either takes them a while to select someone or they gave it to someone else. I figure it's the latrer. We supply a bunch of parts to that nuclear plant, so a lady from work knows a lot of the supply chain guys up there and said she would see if she can find out anything for me.

The posting came down at midnight Monday night. So this is only going on the 3rd day. I wonder what their pricess would be, background checks before reaching out and notifying you that you got an interview, or vice versus? Haven't applied for a new job in 12 years. I didn't know businesses now use software to scan for keywords that in the posted job's description either, but I got that covered. All I had to do was mention my current responsibilities and that covered more than half the job description. I feel like it would be a very small chance that someone applies for it more qualified than myself, which would leave politics on the table if I were to not get it.

TacomaJD said:

It might work in your favor.
One of my friends father was in charge of hiring for DuPont in this area. He always said "I'm looking for a black, woman with a disability cause it's a triple play"

I know you don't want that to be the reason you get the job....But that might be something their looking for to help them.

TacomaJD said:
Hey only about 50-60% of my time is spent behind a desk, the rest is spent in a climate controlled shop :smoke: :flipoff1:

Rode my bike to work today, went out for lunch a little bit ago. This is my favorite weather to ride in.
Lol. I understand. The weather is gorgeous. Nobody can argue that.

For me it just means that bitter cold days in the wind are not far away and I hate winter time. Though Im little with not much insulation.