• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

6.7 powerstroke. Good or bad????

My dad works at a ford dealer I've talked to their diesel tech several times the 11's had a few issues the 14's and 15's haven't had hardly any issues. The other day he had to have some kind of vaccume valve replaced??? Sounded like a small pump running after shutting the truck off? My dad has a 14' king ranch it really is an amazing truck pull a 24' gooseneck with a 5600# buggy and the only way you can tell it is behind it is when the trailer hits bumps and it transfers to the truck. It takes off and stops like it's not pulling anything! This truck replaced a 2wd 02 f250 w7.3 it's no comparison. Only complaint is small fuel tank.

Friday morning.

9eb433bc637b17666a42a0fd74f17aea_zpsn9m5hmmo.jpg

1a6dba51aa6e50ad06b51ade6ec29b5a_zpsdyemz9dq.jpg

I'd recommend the 6.7. I DD a 2012 and it's great. The only thing I've seen and experienced is the exhaust temp sensors issue. They had some issues with them and they will put you stranded. I was told the dealer will warranty them with an improved sensor. It's not a big deal if you have a sensor and a way to clear the code. If you plan to do the DPF delete then it doesn't matter. Both of mine are bone stock.

Whiten said:
:stir: thumb.gif

I keep riding in my paid for 7.3 Ford

I hear ya. Mine was paid for the day I bought it. This is something I've been contemplating for a while. Anyone want to buy a mechanically sound rough around the edges 7.3 6 speed?

I have a 2011 F-250 6.7. I have ZERO trouble with it. Pulls great up to 20K trailer. Never been to the dealer ship for anything other then maintenance and one recall for some emission sensor to make the EPA happy. I am about ready to sell if your interested.

I dont own a new ford but have 2 friends that do. Both are 250 and get used like they are a semi. One hauls a dresser dozer often and the other hauls whatever needs to be from his 120 tractor to a full machine shop. When i say they use them Im talking about use them like someone is paying the payments and will fix it if it breaks. Both have around 100,000 on them and neither have been to dealer since day they were bought.

Like I said, I have a 14 and 15 ford. If you can find a 14 or 13 instead of 15 you will be better off. The 15 has more power and an exhaust brake but gets less mileage, by about 3 mpgs. The 14 will pull good enough, not like the 15, but I would trade my 15 for another 14 because of mileage. With the auto and the high gears, the exhaust brake isn't need endless loaded pretty heave. They used a larger turbo and no waste gate on the 15 to boost power and to simplify the electronics. They claim the engine needs less censors without a waste gate and will be easier to maintain. Whatever, ford engineers, that means it will be easier for your techs to trouble shoot the issues later on. I bought mine from cookeville tn with a life time power train warranty. Can't beat that. (don't know whose life they're talking about).

I have a 2012 6.7 stroke and I absolutely love it. I sold a 2010 6.7 Cummins to buy the Powerstroke and I'm glad I did. The stroke has a lot of bottom end torque just like the cummins did but without the worry of the crappy 68rfe transmission problems. I deleted and tuned both trucks with H&S so it's as fair a comparison as can be. The mpg will go up if you delete and tune. Mine averaged 13.8-14.3 hand calculated bone stock. It jumped to 16.5-17mpg once deleted. All in town driving. It's lifted now with 35's and still never gets below 15mpg in town with some spirited driving. Pretty damn good for a 8800lb truck (according to the CAT scale). The main issue is 11-14's had some turbo problems and emissions stuff. 15 models had a different turbo to fix that problem and they make really good power tuned, but they also have a weaker transmission. Some idiot at ford decided to put less clutch packs in the 15's so they will shift smoother.

I sold my 02 and 97 7.3s and got a 2015 6.7l. You won't be disappointed. i wanted the turbo/fuel upgrades that the 15 had. I pull a skid steer occasionally and the crawler and it does both of those like they aren't back there. I do miss my 7.3s sometimes but forget it when I drive the new one.

P1030640_zpsqumwbvto.jpg

2F27C26B-879B-4AC7-8F9A-F84512040C31_zps5j04qbw3.jpg

We own 4 new Dodge 6.7 cummins and I have a 13 model 6.7 ford. The Ford with the 2015 update is hands down the best truck between the two. No comparison. Ask Mike G how much def his Dodge drinks and so do ours. Def pumps going out, rattling cabs, piss poor mileage when loaded, and ball joints wearing out way to soon on the Dodge. My Ford may have been built on a Wednesday or something but it's been a beast of a truck. I love it.

If anyone is interested the ole 7.3 f two fiddy is for sale. I'm firm at 6k. I'll make a for sale ad in the right section.

My 2012 has been flawless. Easily 18-19 mpg highway with no load, 15.5 with 4k trailer, around 10mpg with 9k in the enclosed hauler.
f3b965a094cf6a4f68100340f5a1e62a.jpg

I have a 6.4 and have had Zero issues out of it, have a friend that has a 2014 6.7 and has had Zero issues. It pulls like a champ and drives like a Sports car. Im a Ford truck guy its hard to beat the cab room and interior on the Ford trucks. My brother is a Duramax guy he loves them and they are stout trucks but he is on his 3rd truck in 3 years has to say something.
We pulled triples from Cleveland,Tn to Dirty turtle with a 14 6.7 Cummins I was pretty impressed with it at 10MPG hand calculated, it did suck down some Def and had only 36,000 miles but did an excellent job.

At the end of the day they are all good trucks you just have to decide which one you want to spend your money and time on.

I owned a 1999 7.3 350 for 11 years and loved the truck it was a beast when loaded and still got great mileage with minimal issues. That is the reason I went back with the Ford, I will own this 6.4 I have now until it will not move on its own anymore I absolutely love my truck.

If I could have afford it at the time I would have gotten a 6.7 Stroker and never looked back. I think they are beautiful trucks and from what I have heard people love them.

I was a duramax guy for about 5 years. Owned a 2008 and it never gave me any problems. Researched for about 5 months about a year ago to get a new truck. Test drove 15 fords and 15 duramax. In the end I wanted to try something different. Bought a 2015 Ford F350 SRW in December of 2014. Hands down the best truck I have ever owned. Little over 18,000 trouble free miles to date. I regularly tow a 40ft gooseneck and it handles it really well.