• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

BeerJ's BuzzBuggy Build-o-rama!

I read that it was "tricky". I don't recall exactly what it was but the idea stuck with me. My idea was to machine little "top hat" looking things. The inside of the hat would be big enough to fit a 3/4 socket and have a 1/2" hole in the top. Then I was going to cut holes in the skid big enough for the top to fit through but the rim would contact the underside of the skid. I don't know if that makes sense or not but either way, I don't currently have the means to make said hats. I suppose with that design the welds wouldn't really be doing much since the weight of the skid would be resting on the rim of the hat and any upward forces would just push the skid against the chassis. We'll see how it goes. If I aquire a lathe and am boogering bolts all the time then it's always an idea that I could revisit.

I bought a foot of 2" .250 just for that. I slice it up into 3/8" discs and weld them around the bolt head. Protects the bolts from getting tore off and if you can put a fat enough bead on it, **** just glides right over.

I welded my AR400 skids on and it welded just fine. I honestly couldn't tell any difference in welding it vs. mild steel. There probably are some applications where a different weld process may be necessary, but for what we do I think just going to town with the squirt gun is perfectly ok.

You're probably right. I honestly don't recall where I heard it or what the context was. Probably had something to do with minimizing the HAZ to retain it's hardness. I'll figure something out but the mailman showed up yesterday with a box full of wires. I need to get the buggy turned around in the garage and I have no intentions of pushing it this time. ;) :driving:

Yeah buddy! I won't bore you with the details of the no-start troubleshooting but at one point somebody said something about a ground on the harness to which I replied "ground on the harness?". Lol. And then I also learned that my steering was backwards. All is good now so I can go back to buttoning everything up and bleeding the coolant.

Beerj said:
Ran out of reachable room on the console so I put the buttons up top. Probably gonna partially skin the roof. These units are supposed to be weatherproof but I'd like to keep it a little dryer.
9cf34be611a5f906e3fa5a18d390513f.jpg

What kind of panel is that? I like it.

mckeddie said:
What kind of panel is that? I like it.
ARC 8000. Check them out, they make wiring super simple. And the buttons barely move, almost like a touch screen. Rated for 1 billion cycles.
https://youtu.be/XAxpsVLJvoo
pholmann said:
Would've helped if the sumbitch that did the harness told you about that bundle of grounds. What a ****.
Yeah anyway! Had me testing every wire and pin probably laughing the whole time. laughing1

Please finish I wanna see the end result. Motor sounds sweet. You do a great job for your first buggy but I still think you may work for WOD or something :****: hitit :driving:

jp fan said:
Very nice, good job on this
Thanks man.

Eddyj said:
This thing is way "too nice" throw some zip ties on her and let's ride.
Lol, thanks but don't look too closely, I've got more zip ties than than the Baltimore PD before the riots. ;D

kdoss54 said:
Please finish I wanna see the end result. Motor sounds sweet. You do a great job for your first buggy but I still think you may work for WOD or something :****: hitit :driving:
Barring the unfoseen, I have every intention of finishing. Thanks for the compliments. Some days I wish I fabricated for a living but most days I find myself wondering how some of those guys do it. Anybody can do nice work if they take their time. Professionals do nice work quick. thumb.gif

I don't remember the conversation but I don't see why likes would cause problems. Maybe dislikes for thin skinned folks. :dunno: Either way, thanks for the unofficial like. thumb.gif
Had to get it turned around so I took a little video. After that, I realized the kids were perfectly content inside so I ran it down to the stop sign and back. To my surprise, the transmission shifted through the gears which was nice because it was a core I got for 120 so I didn't quite know what to think. One strange thing is how the suspension tweaks around when I pull it into the garage. Is that normal or did I screw something up? Oh, and that lifter tap cleared right up after my run down the road. Time to get this thing buttoned up. :driving:
https://youtu.be/A4WPIV7-bXk

Latest posts