• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Sisters

Curious also...still don't understand the reason for putting that much time into the welds when a "normal" one will be more than sufficient. I mean are these show trucks or will they actually be used and if so...why bother? Seems like it's just doubling the cost for the owner and netting 0 benefit.

Re: Re: Sisters

TBItoy said:
I had that typed out also... But then decided just to leave this one alone.

Not trolling. It's a fair question. I'm betting if Spidertrax knew he just welded over all their production welds and threw a bunch of heat back into those knuckles...which I'm sure are fixtured up and done to precise specs, they would **** a brick. If there's a good reason for it, then I'd like to know it so I can become smarterer.

Re: Re: Sisters

redneckengineered said:
Not trolling. It's a fair question. I'm betting if Spidertrax knew he just welded over all their production welds and threw a bunch of heat back into those knuckles...which I'm sure are fixtured up and done to precise specs, they would **** a brick. If there's a good reason for it, then I'd like to know it so I can become smarterer.

More isn't better, especially when it comes to welding. Well maybe if you're doing skyscraper columns. I'm not convinced that walking the cup and putting that big of a weld on all of the chassis joints is necessary either. They look great, but that doesn't mean they're optimal.

Spidertrax wouldn't **** a brick about the tolerances. They ship you all sorts of different size spacers to compensate for their own weld process. It's not a big deal at all, and I doubt the tolerances on these fluctuated.

Dynamite Design said:
Spidertrax wouldn't **** a brick about the tolerances. They ship you all sorts of different size spacers to compensate for their own weld process. It's not a big deal at all, and I doubt the tolerances on these fluctuated.

Ok. Let's say nothing changed on them. That still don't answer why???

Dynamite Design said:

It's for assembly tolerance stack-up, which includes things like sub-component fitment prior to welding which affects weld draw which is an animal in itself. Then all of the hardware to put it together has tolerances too, even the paint thickness affects it.

This is difficult stuff to understand unless you've actually developed high volume welded assemblies from soup to nuts to meet print spec's.

You are assembling these two race mobiles is what I gather. Is there a timeline on these projects? Are these completed builds, rollers or something I haven't heard about yet? Good luck and check your ego at the door. I shouldn't drink too much and you shouldn't talk too much. Post more pictures and spend less time typing. Haters hate, but good builders ask good questions. Leave the haters to their job and answer politely the good folks questions so we can better understand your process. Once again, good luck and keep your welding helmet down and get to it.

man o man, i didnt realize who the OP was when i was scrolling through the pics

fingers crossed for all involved that this one goes a bit different.

hope some things have changed in the past few months

looks good so far....

Wait a minute...were focusing on the knuckles. Don't the bomber chassis come assembled and you just modify them to suit? I mean I havent seen them offered as a kit. If that's the case that means he's gone back over the welds on the chassis too...

Hope not but just curious at this point since we aren't getting any answers.

clemsonjeep said:
Wait a minute...were focusing on the knuckles. Don't the bomber chassis come assembled and you just modify them to suit? I mean I havent seen them offered as a kit. If that's the case that means he's gone back over the welds on the chassis too...

Hope not but just curious at this point since we aren't getting any answers.

They come as a laser cut and cnc bent stack of tube on a pallet unless you order it tacked or welded together.