• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Rockwell trail buggy build

jccarter1

Figured I would start a build thread for this buggy I started a while back. I did some trading and ended up with a set of steering rockwells so I figured that would be a good place to start building around. So I got a 6.0 and a 4l80e and a 3.0 atlas and got it all put on the table ready to start bending tube....... Then my wife decided to have our first child a sweet baby girl so that kinda slows progress but this is what I have got done in the past few months any advice please feel free to share shooting for 20 inch belly with 10 inch of up travel at ride height

Looks good! What all did you do to the rocks? Only asking cause I'm over loaded with research on them read way to much. Found a similar set up right now 6.0 turbo 400 205 steering rocks and wheels and tires that came with the chassis 47 ltb Starting on the rocks soon and going with beyond precise for link mounts

For the rocks I put overson chromoly 16 spline in the rear just bc it had ball and claw in there stock built steering ram mounts and rebuilt the seals and bearings plan is to run 43sx I have a jeep that I currently ride so this is just a project to keep me busy the goal for the build is I want something that will take all day abuse and be comfortable to ride in and the biggest thing I wanted to accomplish was to have a rig that was very safe this has lot of .188 and will have a lot of extra tube

jccarter1 said:
For the rocks I put overson chromoly 16 spline in the rear just bc it had ball and claw in there stock built steering ram mounts and rebuilt the seals and bearings plan is to run 43sx I have a jeep that I currently ride so this is just a project to keep me busy the goal for the build is I want something that will take all day abuse and be comfortable to ride in and the biggest thing I wanted to accomplish was to have a rig that was very safe this has lot of .188 and will have a lot of extra tube

that's what i plan on running once I pop a shaft im going to upgrade to overson. keep us updated thumb.gif

Got a little time to work on some things mainly built a table for the chassis to sit on at ride height

This is 20 inch belly and axles are set up for 43sx with 10psi looks like I should be able to get 10 inch of up travel pretty easy

Now got to get some parts in to start fitting stuff up also looking for a header/ manifold that stays close to the motor and dumps out the back if anyone has any ideas please share I looked at shortys for older novas but can't seem to find any good pics or measurement this is kinda what I was thinking but these might dump a little to low

Re: Rockwell trail buggy build

Sanderson headers made a set for me when I was building a 54 truck. They dumped high and sat very close to the block.

Sent from the mans IPhone.

I'm building another Rockwell buggy right now for myself and getting 7-8" uptravel is a lot and hard, I noticed you front axle is at least 10-12" in front of the motor , how long are your front link bars gonna be ? I gotta guess they will be much longer then the rears to keep it at 120" or so ?

Jon Piper said:
Lol , I was poking at Clint... With that new baby momma ain't going to let him ride. It better be a 3 seater so they can go :driving:

Man you ain't got to worry about extra seats to be a web wheeler :****:

Piper you riding HPO New Years

Front lowers will be a touch long around 40 rear will be closer to 35 I will try to get some better measurements the problem with trying to get that much up travel is one you have to plan out ever little detail, second it just dont look right

Came a long way since last time I saw it. Looks good so far. Got them Dr. Adam signature double raise frame rails.

Made my carrier bearing setup today started out with two front outputs from some np208 I then machined the shaft to make it press fit on the end and I then took the outputs and pressed them into a short sleeve of DOM and tig welded it up then cut the bearing surface so it would be nice and true. I am happy how it turned out now just got to get it mounted and build some driveshafts

Also had my boss with me today and she did a good job of supervision

Well been super busy with work lately got some parts ordered and now just got to find time to get things in there place got a radiator from summit and a bunch of AN fittings from sniper hose and started welding up the radiator mounts and move the hose outlets

Also got h1 wheels in and new centers and rock rings the centers are 3/8 with 1/4 gussets and the rock rings are 3/8 plate as well then a 1/2 round stock is welded on the back lip i also used the stock runflats took a chainsaw and cut off the Mohawk

My little jig to help set the centers in right

This is the 4th set of h1 wheels to weld up and everytime I say this is the last set of wheels I will ever make there is a lot of welding that goes into the dang things