• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

synthetic winch rope question.....stupid question....maybe really stupid...

BPINAZ

Ok, so I bought a synthetic winch rope from a local ranch store that didn't know what they had. Got a 11/32 winch rope, for winches rated 8000-1000 lbs, for $113.00.....not bad.

My aluminum roller fair lead is brand new, never used, no rough spots, right out of the box.......but, all the vendors say you can't use a roller fairlead with a synthetic rope and you have to use a Haus aluminum fair lead or poly rolllers. So, what is the damn difference between the 2? I mean, if you pull through a Haus fairlead that the rope slides against, why can't you pull against a roller that's made from the same material? Something that rolls with it and doesn't slide, causing friction?

If it's a stupid question, then just let me know. But, it seems like the ve dors just want more money for **** you really don't need. Am I wrong?

I thought it was because the roller style has areas where the rope could get stuck, cut, etc. Whereas the solid style obviously doesn't have that option.

That's my guess, not sure where I read that. So, now I'm curious to know the answer too.

rpf500 said:
I thought it was because the roller style has areas where the rope could get stuck, cut, etc. Whereas the solid style obviously doesn't have that option.

That's my guess, not sure where I read that. So, now I'm curious to know the answer too.
What he said

rpf500 said:

Ohhhh, I see. That makes sense.

Re: Re: synthetic winch rope question.....stupid question....maybe really stupid...

joho75287 said:
It's because the rollers have edges that will cut the synthetic line. Ie punch points.
Exactly, pinch points. Gotta think of how much force winching at an angle would put on rope, wedging it down in the corner of 2 rollers. I don't think it would be instantaneous, but I think it would greatly reduce the life of your $113 rope.

Re: Re: synthetic winch rope question.....stupid question....maybe really stupid...

TacomaJD said:
Exactly, pinch points. Gotta think of how much force winching at an angle would put on rope, wedging it down in the corner of 2 rollers. I don't think it would be instantaneous, but I think it would greatly reduce the life of your $113 rope.
Yeah, abrasion will destroy a synthetic rope REAL quick. All those braided little fibers just don't have the abrasion resistance of steel. That said, IMO the benefits far outweigh the negatives. Just pull a synthetic rope up the same hill you had to pull a steel cable up and I think you will agree... :****:

Bringing back an old thread, but I feel, like the title fits my inquiry.

The Luke found me a great deal on 100' of synthetic winch rope, which will be here in a few days. thumb.gif this is going on my XJ so nothing too extreme or used as a suck down winch etc. I have never messed with winch rope before, so figure it's easier to ask the experts here.

So questions that fit in the stupid questions title...

1) recommendations for Hawse fairleads???

2) recommendations for winch hooks???

3) any other "must have" winch rope accessories???

ridered3 said:

The Luke found me a great deal on 100' of synthetic winch rope, which will be here in a few days. thumb.gif this is going on my XJ so nothing too extreme or used as a suck down winch etc. I have never messed with winch rope before, so figure it's easier to ask the experts here.

1)for the Hawse.. whatever you find a good deal on (preferably aluminum)

2) I am not a big fan of hooks since mine stays hooked up as a suck down 95% of the time. Also, most hooks won't go in and out of a standard sized hawse ( I can run mine straight down below the winch (for suck down) or out of the front of the hawse for actual winching). Myself, and the guys I ride with the most use D-rings.

3) Must haves:
plenty of D-rings
tree saver
tow strap
hook up points on the front and rear of the rig is a plus, I have (2) weld in tube ends on the front of mine that double as D-ring holders :dblthumb:
gloves, rope or not

Nothing drives me more crazy than having to help winch/extract someone with absolutely (0) recovery gear. But, I carry all of the above so it usually isn't a huge deal. And as you saw the other night on Boat Ramp, you can never have too much recovery equipment. Enzo is the recovery master! I'm sure he will chime in.

smbroady82 said:
1)for the Hawse.. whatever you find a good deal on (preferably aluminum)

2) I am not a big fan of hooks since mine stays hooked up as a suck down 95% of the time. Also, most hooks won't go in and out of a standard sized hawse ( I can run mine straight down below the winch (for suck down) or out of the front of the hawse for actual winching). Myself, and the guys I ride with the most use D-rings.

3) Must haves:
plenty of D-rings
tree saver
tow strap
hook up points on the front and rear of the rig is a plus, I have (2) weld in tube ends on the front of mine that double as D-ring holders :dblthumb:
gloves, rope or not

Nothing drives me more crazy than having to help winch/extract someone with absolutely (0) recovery gear. But, I carry all of the above so it usually isn't a huge deal. And as you saw the other night on Boat Ramp, you can never have too much recovery equipment. Enzo is the recovery master! I'm sure he will chime in.

Thanks for the info.

3) I've got all the basic recovery equipment, but wasn't sure if rope required anything specific.

Id get a sleeve that goes on the rope helps when you winch and rope may rub anything and also helps the uv rays from deteriorating the rope.

ranger11 said:
Id get a sleeve that goes on the rope helps when you winch and rope may rub anything and also helps the uv rays from deteriorating the rope.

yep! which reminds me, mine is destroyed, I need to replace it soon

Also, Mo would always carry another section of rope for an "extension" just in case. Probably not a bad idea (his was only 50ft though)

Re:

Sleeve at the drum is a must, sleeve at the hook end is a must for abrasion resistance.
It's easy to repair the rope.
I keep my old ropes for extensions..usually 25-50ft.

ridered3 said:

1) Get a good quality steel hawse that has the correct width for your winch. Most of the one I see have an opening that is either too long or too short. Too short is to be preferred if you can't find the match, but you'll loose in rope capacity on the drum.

2) Yes : http://gigglepin4x4.net/large-yellow-competition-hook-679-p.asp and a good tubular thimble (see the rope accessories section on the website for different diameters).
And please forget the factor55 "closed winching technology copyrighted patented pending" and all that BS. Big hooks are the sh*t. But make sure to check them regularly and never put tension on the spring loaded latch that's how they break.

3) Get yourself one of these : http://gigglepin4x4.net/quiklinx-recovery-strap-2m-3m--4m-575-p.asp
Best damn tree strap ever. super quick to install and remove and no D-rings.

I hate D-Rings. The less I use the better.

@Broady : getting the hook to go through the fairlead to use the winch as a suckdown is gonna be hard to do with a standard off the shelf fairlead. But if you're willing to build your own, just make it bigger in height so the hook can go through. Not a problem.

As Rockcrler mentioned, the abrasion sleeve is nice. That said we don't use it in competition because it slides around, dirt gets clogged in between the rope and the sleeve and they aren't long enough for what we do. I have no experience with it, but Masterpull (I think) makes a winch rope that is completely covered by said sleeve. Sloves a few issues but raises another one : How to repair such a rope ? No idea.

Ok, so Enzo and I apparently have different opinions on recovery equipment! :rolf:

But with that being said, this man has competed in IDK how many winching competitions, so he is probably a lot more knowledgeable than I.

At any rate, don't be the guy with (0) equipment. :dblthumb:

Winch rope came in the mail last night and it looks :dblthumb:!

Already has the thimble installed, and came with roughly 2 feet of sleeve material already put on the rope. So is it better to move the sleeved section to the drum end or the thimble end :dunno:

Any Hardliners or stateside vendors to order the winch accessories from :dunno:

I priced all the Gigglepin stuff, but being outside of the EU, the price nearly doubled to purchase and that was before shipping costs for across the pond.

Thimble end. It's the one that see the most use and will be protected from UVs.

I'll call gigglepin tomorrow for you and see what I can do ;)