• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

synthetic winch rope question.....stupid question....maybe really stupid...

Bebop said:
Thimble end. It's the one that see the most use and will be protected from UVs.

I'll call gigglepin tomorrow for you and see what I can do ;)

if you get in touch with them give me a call/text, I may throw in on that order thumb.gif

Bebop said:
Thimble end. It's the one that see the most use and will be protected from UVs.

I'll call gigglepin tomorrow for you and see what I can do ;)

I misread their website this morning, and it looks the price doubled due to the delivery charge of $45.00 for going to a Non-EU Country, not some type of additional fee for being across the pond.

But calling or trying to group an order together sounds good to me. Here's what I was considering from them listed both in EUR and USD.

Rope Sleeve figured I'd put this on the drum end as well to be protected from both ends of the rope.
http://gigglepin4x4.net/rope-protector-sleeve-for-synthetic-winch-rope-587-p.asp
€11.50 ~= $15.13

Winch Hook < as recommended by Enzo.
http://gigglepin4x4.net/large-yellow-competition-hook-679-p.asp
€12.50 ~= $16.44

Rock Guards < Do you think these are needed?
http://gigglepin4x4.net/rock-guards-1108-p.asp
@500mm(~1.5 feet) €7.95 ~= $10.46 @ 1Metre(~3 feet) €14.95 ~= $19.67

Ok so I got to spend some time searching...

I found a few places in the US to order the most important component IMHO, the big hooks. They are regular 3/8 rigging hooks.

If you are splicing it on the winch line, I would recommend this one :

http://www.westechrigging.com/hook-ekn-038-g100-gunnebo.html

If your rope is already spliced, just cut your old hook off and put this one in :

http://www.westechrigging.com/gunnebo-hook-skn-skt-545622.html

Gunnebo is a swedish brand. Very good stuff.

I found the tree strap with hook and Oval link also, they are called Single Leg Slings, but I haven't been able to find a place that is remotely as cheap as Gigglepin's. Closest is this one :

http://www.uscargocontrol.com/Lifting-Slings/Single-Leg-Nylon-Bridle-Sling-with-Safety-Hook/1x6-2-ply-Single-Leg-Nylon-Sling-w-Master-Link-Sling-Hook

I haven't found tubular thimbles yet but I'm still looking.

Right now I'm at a friends place. He used to compete in winch challenges in Europe with his TJ and even spent 1 week in the most grueling conditions in Croatia for the big trophy over there.

He has plenty of stuff, including the two hooks presented above :

777122IMG9001.jpg

And a little shot of the monster winch sitting in the front of his rig :

646664IMG8987.jpg

Re:

Those hooks you linked seem a little small based on the load limit. Thanks for taking the time to dig that stuff up.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Re:

What's everyone think of the synthetic rope shackles I seen a few of at the EXPO?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Re:

ranger11 said:
Those hooks you linked seem a little small based on the load limit. Thanks for taking the time to dig that stuff up.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Those weights are max load rating for lifting.
When winching you are pulling so the force they bear is way smaller.

Plus they have a 4 to 1 safety ratio, meaning their minimum breaking load is 4 times the numbers indicated in the specs.

Like I said, the pictures I posted are the hooks from a vehicle that has seen a few winching competitions, I thing they are more than adequate.

onepieceatatime said:
What's everyone think of the synthetic rope shackles I seen a few of at the EXPO?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Amazing products if you are not in a hurry or do no happen to use them into mud or water conditions.
They are light and take virtually no space, plus you can't get hurt by one in the event of a rollover if they end up on your face.

Re:

We used one a couple times last wheeling trip. I will order two for the red buggy for sure.

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the research, links, and info!

How much does a Gigglepin winch weigh in "race trim"? I know they can be built with various additional components etc, but what is their weight in comparison to a regular 8724.

A GP100 winch with stock 8274 drum length weighs 113lbs as per Gigglepin website.

Stock 8274 is 110lbs as per Warn website.

For comparison, a Zeon 10 ("normal" winch) is 98lbs per Warn website again.

Seriously, a part from the budget issue, there are no drawbacks to having a good winch.

Bebop said:
A GP100 winch with stock 8274 drum length weighs 113lbs as per Gigglepin website.

Stock 8274 is 110lbs as per Warn website.

For comparison, a Zeon 10 ("normal" winch) is 98lbs per Warn website again.

Seriously, a part from the budget issue, there are no drawbacks to having a good winch.

That's pretty impressive weight wise. Was always curious about comparisons.

Figured I'd ask this question in this thread. Yesterday winching I noticed my steel cable had a big ass kink in it and it's almost all the way through. So it needs to be replaced. I want to put a synthetic rope on because it's safer and easier to work with. Other than a fair lead will I need anything else? It's going on a champion winch (tractor supply brand I think)

Re: Re: synthetic winch rope question.....stupid question....maybe really stupid...

jeeptj99 said:
Just tape it to the drum? If I remember correctly the cable connects to the side of the drum with a bolt and eyelet
I didn't even use tape I just put it to the drum and then started wrapping over a piece of it.

If you want to get all "I did it the way the internet told me to do it" you could get a 4 gauge crimp coupler and crimp it to the end of the cable and then screw it to the side of the drum like the cable.

That would definitely be the can't hide money route so I see you buying that coupler. 8) :-*

Anything will work if it lets you spool it on tight as hell and don't ever spool it out to the bottom layer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk