• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

The Hemorrhoid

clemsonjeep

Seeing as Travis (easleycrawler) finally came up with a fitting name for his truck I figured he needed a thread to go along with it. The name is fitting as this thing has been a royal pain in the ass ever since he picked it up. It's always had something little going on...just enough to piss him off.

I don't have a stock pile of photos and information, but the story starts with this blue yota he had first. It was a good rig, but being an IFS truck it sat a little too high for his liking so it didn't hang around too long. Before it was sold it he did bring it down to my shop to swap gears to 5.29's though. I don't remember the specifics on this one, but the gear swap made a huge difference. This was also before he had a tow rig so he actually drove the truck to my shop in Sumter from his place in Easley, SC...approx. 2.5hrs one way.

This is the blue truck...and a few pics from the gear swap.
IMAG1112_zps7gu5h4lr.jpg

IMAG1113_zpshbtmjj5x.jpg

IMAG1111_zpshheb8wv4.jpg

IMAG1117_zpshxkiulth.jpg

IMAG1110_zpshrfrosfw.jpg

IMAG0947_zpsumjpyih2.jpg

IMAG0946_zpsttv2ny9z.jpg

IMAG0950_zpssrsongai.jpg

IMAG0948_zps1wqwcwtb.jpg

IMAG0949_zpshi7f1d1d.jpg

Re: The Hemorhoid

The reason I even bring up the blue truck is that the when Travis picked up the Hemorrhoid it had the axles that were under the blue truck. This truck being an 83 sat lower and was more of what he was looking for. I can't remember what tires it had on it when he picked up but I do remember that he bought my old 37" SSR's and wheels prior to the first trip with it. The first trip was to a place called "The Compound" here in SC that has since closed, however they have opened another park with the same name but in a different location.

Here's some pics from that trip...

IMAG3218_zpswupp8pcz.jpg

IMAG3220_zpsu6v9krq2.jpg

The truck didn't have a cage to speak of so he brought it down to my shop. The intent was to leave it and I would build an exo for it, but somehow or another it ended up going to M&M fab for an exo....probably something to do with lack of time before a ride we had planned. At this point the specs were:

1983 Yota
22R w/pane
5spd
dual cases w/ stock gears
front axle 5.29's w/ ezlocker
rear axle 5.29's w/ ezlocker (i think)
37" SSR's
15x8 Steelies w/ 2.5" BS
front leaf springs
rear 4 link w/TJ rear coils

At one point or another the rear links got bent so a set of aluminum lowers were swapped in. There was a reoccurring problem with the engine running hot...F'n Hemorrhoid! First off we noticed the hydro assist was running through the trans cooler built into the aluminum radiator it had. That was disconnected and ran through an external cooler. Things seemed better after that. After getting the exo installed he picked up a set of Corbeau Baja SS seats and brought it down to get them installed. At one point or another he installed a BudBilt crossmember and had the front driveshaft redone.

Right after that we had a trip to Harlan and the drop into Lions Den resulted in a broken tcase due to the front driveshaft being too long. F'n Hemorrhoid!

After this trip he found a good deal on the TG front housing so he brought it back down for a weekend and we swapped it in. He also found a HP 3rd to swap in at the same time so he stepped down to 4.10's front and rear too. The rear got a spool and the front got ...well I can't remember.

In any case the most recent changes involved another trip down to redo the rear 4 link. Rather than running straight lowers we triagulated them and swapped out the upper links for some new ones running 1.25" Barnes heims. The aluminum lowers are running Creeper Joints. During this same visit we were also suppose to swap out the TJ coils for a set of Fox 14" air shocks. The amount of tubing reworking necessary crept up on us...as usual. This meant we didn't get to the oil leaks on the motor we planned to. Nor did we get the suspension and tube work completely finished.

IMG_20151204_131454549_zpsfpds8n0k.jpg

IMG_20151204_114013216_zpsz4j873kh.jpg

IMG_20151203_225209154_zpsnfhvhvlg.jpg

IMG_20151205_012419502_zpsckrdduoo.jpg

IMG_20151205_012455938_zpsxehwx719.jpg

IMG_20151205_170211933_zpsqretl1pk.jpg

IMG_20151205_203358681_zpskqp2qzyo.jpg

IMG_20151205_203407422_zpsfbv1xsrw.jpg

Well ****...just typed a whole bunch of **** and fat fingered the track pad on this damn Macbook...guess itll wait til tomorrow.

Well hell. You started a rebuild/fix thread for my little yota. And yes, the little gremlins this rig has had, has been a pain in my ass, that's why it's finally named what it is. And just to clear the air, every time this rig has been at Ryan's shop, I've been there working on it as well, except this last time. I just didn't have time this time. So Ryan offered to take it down and get it fixed. It's nice to have such a good friend to do this. :dblthumb:

Sub'd..

Travis helped me out with some carb parts awhile back. Wound up talkin on the phone for a little while.. Been wantin to see pics of this truck since. Seems about like the direction I wanna go with mine..

Ok so the reason it was here time before last was to remove the timing cover and fix the oil leaks. After digging in and draining the oil we noticed a lot of water in the oil. We checked compression and found that 1-3 had approx 120 and 4 had 90. Keep in mind this was cold and without oil...just cranking it over dry. So...we assumed the head gasket had let go the last trip to Grey Rock when it overheated. So...since this was later on a Saturday afternoon we couldnt do anything but put a new gasket on it and hope for the best. Long story shorter...got it back together and ended up with two oil leaks around the timing cover...the two gaskets that it uses fought us every step so I wasn't all that surprised.

Aside from the timing cover he'd also come down to finish up the rear 4 link that we had redone the previous trip down. We'd installed some temporary shock mounts, needed to brace the lower link mount crossmember, and a few other things.

Basically what was suppose to be a quick visit turned into another pain in the rear. We didn't get any of the work done on the rear suspension...

Damnit that blue truck has been whored around. It was originally SAS'd and built by JSigmon for our buddy Grant years ago. I think we built at least 3 tube beds for it before he sold it.

So...this time it just worked out that I had to be up in Clemson for work and told Travis I'd drag it back home if he wanted me to work on it. The crazy weather we've been having and his work schedule really play hell on getting to work on it...and I just want to see him and this rig back out on the trail something fierce.

This time the idea was to simply fix the oil leaks at the timing cover. Well...in typical fashion the truck had other plans. I noticed more water in the oil and checked compression. This time I saw that 1 and 2 were low, 3 was 120, and 4 was 90. I assumed that when we pulled the head off last time that it warped and was no longer able to seal. So I took the head to have it machined and the guy only had to take off .001" and didn't see any gaps between the water jacketsihinist I used some copper coat on both sides of the head gasket and waited a couple hours after installing to check compression. At this point 1-3 had 120 again and 4 still had around 95. Got it running again and the "new" issue is that it has quite a bit of blow by. With the dipstick or fill cap removed there is pressure...almost squirting a little oil out every now and then.

I'm guessing that the #4 cylinder has bad rings based on its lower compression and now the excessive crank case pressure.

Just a few pics from the process...

IMG_20160128_212841526_zpsnkfhgliw.jpg

IMG_20160129_202504405_zpscnp5g4l9.jpg

IMG_20160130_022502006_zpscuhta9tm.jpg

Fixed all of its issues in one move...
IMG_20160130_102901084_zpsmquhqr4k.jpg

Got around to burning in new shock mounts...
IMG_20160131_184842205_zpszyvefexf.jpg

IMG_20160131_184833682_zpsqmai4h8k.jpg

It's getting there. I'm planning on coming down Friday, be there around 2:30, to help finish up anything that's left. Gonna find a 22re to have ready and waiting. I'd like to throw a 2 or 3rz in it, but that's just more money and time. I'm ready to do some wheeling this year. More than just 1 trip anyways.

Rub a little Preparation H on that bitch and call it good!

The new tube work on the back looks good. Hope you guys get it squared away soon. Lots of wheelin to do this year!

Spent some more time in the shop last night to get the braces for the lower link crossmember installed. They worked out pretty good. Just have to keep an eye on things the first trip out and see if its going to need more than these two.

IMG_20160203_202404551_zpscnci0i3z.jpg

IMG_20160203_202436536_zpshxzlwm9i.jpg

I also swapped out the stock brake master cylinder for another one that Travis picked up that is supposed to be an upgrade when going to rear discs. Couldn't find my cup with the right lid to use my brake bleeder so I guess one of us will end up with a worn out leg tomorrow.

Whoot whoot bout time someone made a build thread for this thing. Hopefully one day ill have ny own to work on and not just yalls all the time lol

Latest posts