• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

90's throw back....Manche build

I love using silicon bronze for filler/smoothing work.

Looks great. I couldn't imagine beating on it in the woods.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Re: 90's throw back....Manche build

The Luke said:
Dude you're ridiculous.
Yes I know, ocd wins again

TBItoy said:
I love using silicon bronze for filler/smoothing work.

Looks great. I couldn't imagine beating on it in the woods.

Hopefully that top side will stay nice. It's hidden in the door jamb, and that slider is filled solid with 7075 aluminum. We shall see.

That si/bz is trick. Definetly not like welding though, more like soldering, and certainly easier to finish with less heat input. Thought this would be a good area to practice since it would be ground smooth anyway.

Thanks tbi!

Sent from my SM-G925R4 using Tapatalk

It's considered brazing usually. Don't want to melt the base metal when doing steel.

I use it on sheet metal corners and gaps, recently did a lot of rust repair on a Model A and used it a lot. Put some studs in an electrical panel this morning that was already painted (didn't want to burn through the pain on the backside). Even use it to put together some 3 piece naval brass flame heads with water jacket for a machine we build. Very versatile.

Well I had been on the hunt for another set of beadlocks and getting ready to purchase some Nitto trail grappler dot tires in the 37 flavor. Found a set of 6- forged Allied/race line double beadlocks at a great price. Jumped on them, dude even delivered, made a new off road friend, thanks again @Rnuovrcj5! Even bought a new 39" krt-b at a great price from him.

Fast forward 2 hours later, and they wouldn't fit over the wilwood calipers on the spidertrax 14" rotors. We test fit for stud size, but I hadn't thought about the calipers...well ****...

Couple days later, remembered my buddy @ChrisAyers had 6 lug, same wheels as my krtb are mounted to. I made him a proposal, and came home with a tire and wheel package deal. Thanks Chris!

I now have my dot/4800 class tire package started...and as a plus all 9 wheels are the same, (retired pro comp bead lock from a few years back). They are wrapped in 37" Nitto's with a respectable 85-90% tread.

Mattix and I even broke out the rubbing and polishing compound to see if they would wake up...and they did. Well, the first one has anyway...only 8 more to go.

And for those interested in measurements. Here's the tale of the tape...both sets mounted and 20 psi on 17x9 wheels; although the bfgoodrich is mounted to the truck. Both sets are near 90%, even though the bfgoodrich are half tread comp tires. Section width on the bfgoodrich is a full 15" at the bulge, while the nitto measures 12.75

6760f80e11cf6b84e7be11fb4a7fcc7b.jpg

90c443d9b6538018ce5f2fa50855383e.jpg

bf542160ee49bac87b889d3315bf89b2.jpg

18aaa34daa446f8cb35f964589fbd2df.jpg

f47a853c5ae4bd700795a15341b56313.jpg

cf37250c507c1c12faf08cf632736222.jpg

Matt

How far off was the double beadlocks? Like not even close to fitting over calipers or with some work they would fit? Curious as i have doubles now and want to go 14" rotors on new axle build.

stuftmunky2k said:
How far off was the double beadlocks? Like not even close to fitting over calipers or with some work they would fit? Curious as i have doubles now and want to go 14" rotors on new axle build.
Far enough I would be concerned with loss of strength of the caliper by removing material. They're may be other calipers that would clear, but wasn't worth the hassle for me.

thought id let you know, just red this whole thing and your amazing work building this is why i signed up for this forum. :****:

hhc said:
thought id let you know, just red this whole thing and your amazing work building this is why i signed up for this forum. :****:
Awesome, thanks, glad you're enjoying it!

There is lots of great content and entertainment here, with the opportunity to make some great friends. Welcome!

I've given up watching the build out of sheer jealousy that I don't have the time to be that good in the shop.

The build is truly magnificent. I agree with the above comments. Throw some pooky weld in there somewhere or forget to do something and leave it. Lol

grcthird said:
Could you just throw a dang ziptie on something important and not cut the excess off to make the rest of us feel better?
Now you know that won't work with OCD, lol.
The Luke said:
I second that.
See above

LightBnDr said:
I've given up watching the build out of sheer jealousy that I don't have the time to be that good in the shop.

The build is truly magnificent. I agree with the above comments. Throw some pooky weld in there somewhere or forget to do something and leave it. Lol

Lol, I don't photo all the welds...there's a few I'm not proud of.

Thanks guys

Matt

Hey, there's a shop rag on top of your front diff. Could you please keep a tidier shop? We try to run a clean ship around here.

The Luke said:
Hey, there's a shop rag on top of your front diff. Could you please keep a tidier shop? We try to run a clean ship around here.
Lol.

Yea that's a mistake I made. I tried to clock the fitting on the accumulator, (which is still under pressure and holding 3qts of oil), in doing so I must have damaged the o-ring at the end cap, it has a slight seep of oil now...

The whole truck is junk now. Pm me your address and I'll do you a favor and drag the trailer over to get it out of your way.

Some peoples kids.

DAkk said:
You sir, are a bundle of talent and ambition..
what gauge and grade of aluminum is that? Your bead rolling looks awesome!
Thanks dakk!

3000 series, .060 thickness