• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

90's throw back....Manche build

Re: Re: 90's throw back....Manche build

The Luke said:
Yea, but do the windshield wipers work? Hmmm?
Yep, as well as washer fluid pump!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Forbanger said:
molaugh I'm not sure if I get inspired, or aggravated watching this build!!!
Thanks, I hope
jpony645 said:
The damn wiring is almost as beautiful as the metal work. :mad: :****:
Thank you
Stretch said:
Yep...glad I popped back in to check out this thread. Carry on :woot:
Hang around stretch... hoping to get real fun soon...

Tidying up a few things, getting closer to cranking.

Putting some fire sleeve over pump line to orbital, and fire sleeve and reflective insulator over fuel line (to prevent vapor lock) around the engine.

You can also see the boots over the plugs and 1400° wire covering entire length of plug wires.

ccb782353278c6b39c79e7b2266a6e6a.jpg

b5fbd60c252a50acbff925a769a73d4b.jpg

b58e3362790c7f5a02b57656b077ca43.jpg

Leak testing the radiator and reservoirs, couple small pinholes to weld over.

96d56da99f5bf814be2e2ebbcc64e4e9.jpg

Using the Bomber alternator relocation bracket for LS motors; it requires some clearancing of the back of the alternator. This bracket remains from the buggy, but I was using the premier power welder alternator then, the two on the left are stock cs130's (90 amp) thatt I pulled out of my core pile from work, the last on right is a Powermaster 140 amp; now have two spares in the camp box, as well as new spare Psc N-pump (and pulley), spare water pump (already tapped for AN fittings at heater ports, temp sender, and welded fitting for upper port), spare pillow block, spare idler, belt, driveshaft, spare low pinion Currie 9+ dropout third member 5.43 and spooled, 35 spline 300m stub shaft, and of course tires...

e29258668f3ca7679191a91ac4e073ef.jpg

No pic, but I've also completed crankcase ventilation- both clean and dirty side- in the 3 sides and down fashion and vented to atmosphere.... therefore much less oil can get to the top of the valve covers or intake, in case of a rollover.

Matt

More marks off the list...

Pillow block done, @tomwoodsdriveshafts cycled and clearing. No clearancing necessary on any 1350 yokes [emoji106].

5a1ba5854bd80b7c33ad0aa01f4ce004.jpg

b1c1262e6651d0eeefc9405f4e042875.jpg

More fire sleeving and heat shielding completed. Most of this shielding was repurposed... robbed off a super duty I just scrapped.

f3097985f4a957f12a9f2e180d8e44b6.jpg

7d5c266169010b2417b0143b34aae433.jpg

Crankcase ventilation hung and routed under the bridge, hidden by the reservoirs as well. Also notice the tubing for washer fluid...[emoji108]

New Powermaster 140 alternator and belt installed.

f7a5bd975e31c75711904dbf56e635fd.jpg

Matt

Note: 3/8 rubber fuel line makes an excellent abrasion resistant cover for 3/8 hardline...

Looks good. Is there a slip in the driveshafts in front and behind the pillow block bearing? Just the set screw in the bearing keeps the driveshafts from all moving forward?

mcutler said:
More marks off the list...

f3097985f4a957f12a9f2e180d8e44b6.jpg

This build still has me mesmerized, but still trying to get a grasp on how you will keep your foot from melting in your shoe. I know it will be spectacular whatever you do, just asking. :dunno:

ADMINISTRATOR

fabricator1 said:
Looks good. Is there a slip in the driveshafts in front and behind the pillow block bearing? Just the set screw in the bearing keeps the driveshafts from all moving forward?
Yes, slips on both ends. I've ran this exact setup for years in two previous rigs. Zero issues. Always carried a spare pillow block that I've never used. Never loosened a set screw. Key is good operating angles with sufficient spline engagement and frequent greasing, so that everything cycles correctly.

I know there is a place for the double ended yoke bearings and they serve many people well. But I design around these parameters so that I won't need it.

The mega hi 9 certainly helps out with the angles.
CHASMAN9 said:
This build still has me mesmerized, but still trying to get a grasp on how you will keep your foot from melting in your shoe. I know it will be spectacular whatever you do, just asking. :dunno:

ADMINISTRATOR
Fingers crossed; I'm hoping that the forward headers will be less heat concentrated there than traditional units. I've also got some more heat shielding robbed from said truck above that should aid. It's really hard to explain in type, without anyone personally seeing this space; pictures don't translate well in this tight area. I will have an inch or more of air gap on that outside tube - which will be wrapped, and have a secondary shield that clamps to the tube with its own air gap. Then if necessary, I still have that snazzy NASCAR interior heat pad that will take care of the rest of the heat transfer... I think...

That said, the heater will have no need to blow on our feet... it will mainly serve as a defroster.

Windshields and winter wheeling bring the suck without defrost...

Thanks guys!

So is the pillow block bolts welded in from the back side of the plate?

Maybe I missed it but what are the plans for the windshield? will it be OEM glass? if so will it be detachable?

twostep said:
So is the pillow block bolts welded in from the back side of the plate?

Maybe I missed it but what are the plans for the windshield? will it be OEM glass? if so will it be detachable?
Yes. It's 2" .120 rectangle tubing I cut down to a channel, welded from the bottom, then plated with .120. Can easily lift the block off the studs for service.

Factory glass, but using the later Cherokee with the rubber molding attached to the glass, rather than that crap aluminum trim. Standard urethane installation. I was a glass installer 20 years ago, and still have great relations with that employer; I can buy this glass for less than a c-note, installed at my shop.

Thought about speedglass, but with wipers, I was afraid it would eventually scratch beyond visibility. At this price I can buy these, I'll just use glass.

mcutler said:
Yes, slips on both ends. I've ran this exact setup for years in two previous rigs. Zero issues. Always carried a spare pillow block that I've never used. Never loosened a set screw. Key is good operating angles with sufficient spline engagement and frequent greasing, so that everything cycles correctly.

I know there is a place for the double ended yoke bearings and they serve many people well. But I design around these parameters so that I won't need it.

The mega hi 9 certainly helps out with the angles. Fingers crossed; I'm hoping that the forward headers will be less heat concentrated there than traditional units. I've also got some more heat shielding robbed from said truck above that should aid. It's really hard to explain in type, without anyone personally seeing this space; pictures don't translate well in this tight area. I will have an inch or more of air gap on that outside tube - which will be wrapped, and have a secondary shield that clamps to the tube with its own air gap. Then if necessary, I still have that snazzy NASCAR interior heat pad that will take care of the rest of the heat transfer... I think...

That said, the heater will have no need to blow on our feet... it will mainly serve as a defroster.

Windshields and winter wheeling bring the suck without defrost...

Thanks guys!

Have you ever used Lizardskin heat and sound proofing? I have in a different buggy and it made a big difference in my opinion. If the NASCAR stuff doesn't work completely, slap some of this on and see. :dunno:

ADMINISTRATOR

Re: Re: Re: 90's throw back....Manche build

CHASMAN9 said:
Have you ever used Lizardskin heat and sound proofing? I have in a different buggy and it made a big difference in my opinion. If the NASCAR stuff doesn't work completely, slap some of this on and see. :dunno:

ADMINISTRATOR
Thanks. It will be an adventure to see what's going to be enough... or not...

Thanks for the tip.

Big hurdle on my list, because I think they are such a pain.... seats and harnesses are tabbed out, and ready to final weld!

Let the fun begin... time to panel the interior[emoji28]

9313842b4cb787c3c9319bcaf89dd771.jpg

e78dd51b4ae8f1a7e4a5466a08772c2d.jpg

5cfd374374b896aca94eea4e587bd712.jpg

Matt