• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

90's throw back....Manche build

Before and after...

944d72d8422b2ace75ed068f157b9ab4.jpg

3ae4fcdaf1101113c9a720c00031bb9d.jpg

@bustedknuckle and @madram11 media

I don't do Facebook, but if you like go check out their walk around and comments... there's some funny in there. (I looked through on my wife's account).

a6ee883a22b6fe68ba239b9bb019fcfe.jpg

aeed53dd8f4ebc93d47cb87414e88700.jpg

No more pics, but if anyone was present feel free to post here, it would be much appreciated.

Cont...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

... and now the real nuts and bolts....

I'm going to call the first run a real success. I pulled 3 wrenches all weekend.

-First was before I even unloaded; driving 6 hours through the night and sunrise, checklist after checklist running through my head, and realized I never hooked the battery negative on the winch after the last trip on the lift, so that happened right away once parked. (15mm and 14mm, so much for milspec battery terminals... Lol )
- second was on day two, after removing the doors and installing the tube door bars (3/4")

No wrenches were turned all weekend for any repairs. I deem that a success, mechanically.

Trail wise, nothing but impressed. Especially considering that the tire size ratio of TSL 43" stickies to any other size or brand was about 9:1 out of over 500 rigs (1100 ppl registered for the weekend) - (aside from sxs's).

I had the pleasure of following @jeconn and Mike all day Friday and again Saturday afternoon. Except for when I spotted a creekbed and waterfall and went rouge... forcing them to follow me to a dead end, lol.

The truck worked fantastic. It had its share of difficulties, as I expected it would, due to a couple factors;

-tire size as mentioned above- following 43's, once the black dirt gets turned to the top... it's an uphill battle.
- driver error/ unfamiliarity with the new truck; going from buggy to full body, simply learning curve to-
-approach and departure angle, which is great, but not a buggy
- visibility; which I'm sure any other xj/mj owner can testify is mediocre to say the least....i need a rear view mirror; strapped in its hard to turn to see with the B posts of the cab.
- side hill clearance for bed, running higher on a hill to have enough room for slip to stay off sheet metal on trees; but that 42° steering and being 7 inches narrower outside of tires (of my old Chevy 60 and 43's) and 115 wb sure helps with maneuverability!.. and the tires did great in these scenarios, I must say.

Things that were not an issue;
-approach/ departure angle; never touched the front bumper or winch surround, only the push bar, and the rear bumper did its job on the corners, never touched the body.
- belly height (16.5"), has some scars but never held me up. The pinion guard was the biggest hindrance all weekend.
- trailing arms did not slow me down nor did they turn and damage the shocks, but there are plenty of scars to know that there was plenty of opportunity to do so.
-ZERO mechanical, wiring, or plumbing problems- typical seepage of a few fittings due to extreme heat and cold cycles but not an issue to speak of.
- TIRES; rode the krtb's all weekend. Stuck like glue to rock and worked great in the loose. They don't have the ease that a tsl does in the black loose, but I wasn't disappointed. And I haven't ran a radial in 15 years, so I was at 15psi entire time versus the 6-7 I ran in bias.
- engine and trans temps stayed at operating temperature all weekend, never ran hot; always a good thing!
- Yukon hard-core hubs were flawless
-ZERO driveshaft vibrations throughout travel!

... cont...

Spent quite a bit of time drooling on that thing during RBD...

I live like 1h away from you, I need to drop by and say hello one of these days.

Billy is my next doors neighbor at work (Volvo in Dublin VA), small world.

Re: Re: 90's throw back....Manche build

Bebop said:
Spent quite a bit of time drooling on that thing during RBD...

I live like 1h away from you, I need to drop by and say hello one of these days.

Billy is my next doors neighbor at work (Volvo in Dublin VA), small world.
Yea, absolutely, drop by sometime. Billy was just here for thanksgiving.

The big 3...

Suspension, body damage, interior heat... in that order lol.

SUSPENSION;
Can't say enough good things about it so far. The tune is so close for trail riding, I didn't even fiddle with the DSC adjusters all weekend. It just worked. It really soaked up the rough and was comfortable- firm but comfortable through the trails. I like firm. Not jarring, but planted and stable. Only thing I think needs to change directly is free rebound in the rear, needs faster drop on downhill shelves. Almost sounded like piston plunge when dropping a big shelf but it was a shorter, more abrupt 'swish', almost like shaking a maracas.
Side stability is superb. The best I've ever had. Never felt like it was in danger of tipping, or that I couldn't apply the throttle when in that position.
Uphill absolutely no push off that I could feel. Never had the opportunity to open it up in the rough at high speed, but we did do some accelerated trail riding Saturday night; needs some valving there- more high speed dampening, less low speed dampening (but trail riding might suffer with those changes internally) ; never used all the rear bumps. But I'll play with the DSC there first before I go back in the shocks. Sway bar is good so far.

Can't describe how excited I am about the suspension so far!

BODY DAMAGE;

We did a little. The factory passenger cab B post, rear door post and drip rail got a massage while winching and slipped into it. Not terrible, I can easily repair. I had planned to do some plate work along the drip rail; (somewhat of a rub rail but out of time beforehand) which would have prevented all damage there this trip. I will be making this modification very soon.

You can see it in this pic

821054ae81833b701ac5a2a340f8a4ea.jpg

Passengers bed in front of wheel got a little tree limb divot, nothing worse than the original condition of the truck panels, it will be dollied back quickly enough.

No tire rub on any sheet metal or front inner fender/ footwell. Rear tires tuck nicely behind fenders.

Truck still looks great.

INTERIOR HEAT

As we all suspected, their is some significant heat in the cab. All my shielding didn't arrive in time (and still isn't here...) so very little was installed for this trip. Drivers footwell panels are the only ones that were shielded.
Friday we rode with the doors on. (60°ambient temp) it was warm inside. Moving through the trails was tolerable, but in a severe stand still beating we were dripping.
Saturday we took the doors off (same temp) and it was fine, (and we did use the heater Saturday night with no doors). Warm on the legs but fine otherwise. Summertime it would be an issue but ok this time of year.

Ill be doing more shielding and report back with results.

Otherwise cab comfort is what you might expect from watching the build thread; cozy. I was extremely comfortable, even with an hour or two of seat time. Your cozy enough that you don't rattle around... There isn't room, lol. But seriously the gas leg is supported from the knee to ankle and the brake leg rest against the A pillar and you don't get banged up. Can't say enough good things about the PRP harnesses either, love them.

Two interesting heating issues, one of which I had anticipated;

Unanticipated:

With the tube door bars installed (quick pins moved fine) but once the truck got warm, you couldn't get them out, had to get out buggy style over the door bar, lmao. After it sat for 10 minutes not running, they slid right out!
Remedy; I'll be slotting the pin hole north to south to alleviate this, that should keep them free without rattles.

Anticipated;
Winch. Heat on the winch from the radiator. Hot enough, you need gloves on to pull the rope on free spool. And I didn't have time to clock the free spool handle, so it was easy to skin a knuckle on the fan for that reason.
Remedy; clock winch motor, and build a heat shield over the drum.

(We did snap the rope dragging through some rocks; but in defense this smittybuilt 10k lived on my ton yj for a couple years and then sat on my shelf for 7 years collecting lots of metal dust.)

Ill be purchasing a new rope and thimble here soon.

Overall, I'm 100% happy with the trip. Ready to get it cleaned up, make the necessary modifications, and plan the next ride.

Big thanks to @jeconn and Mike for being my test ride trail guides and winch guys. We winched 3-4 times due to driver error and stupid pinion guards. But gladly, rest of the weekend was winch free after having some trail knowledge and seat time in the new truck.

Matt

Do the door bars get warm to the touch during riding? Seems odd that the heat would wick through the tube that far, enough to make a difference.

Hang on to your old rope to make tree savers, snatch ropes, and soft shackles with.

paradisepwoffrd said:
Do the door bars get warm to the touch during riding? Seems odd that the heat would wick through the tube that far, enough to make a difference.

Hang on to your old rope to make tree savers, snatch ropes, and soft shackles with.

Warmer than ambient but not substantial. But it repetitively did this without moving the truck from its position, so it rules out chassis flex. Original assembly, the pins were snug but would spin; once warmed up they won't even spin.

Already ordered a fast fid rope splicing kit to do just that!

Nice for her to be clean again (interior not done yet) ....so purdy...

... and a couple for size reference next to my f450 crew.

It really looks and feels small to me versus my buggy, don't know if it's just the tire size or cockpit coziness.

0764eee70cbc878cd398523a4789c720.jpg

2fa1e144139101cd95ecc0cfcb28fa90.jpg

1487a231832c08e131a87b9a048afcb7.jpg

33895c469bedc00e3b8d1841f1cf8918.jpg

55add159c70a1ddb7f16d79c4f7db8e1.jpg

348dff65fe8e123f5dd37dafeb312848.jpg

41abf9a18b92f19cd73127d237694112.jpg

0f59a10ce6038b78e22b9f37f77f1791.jpg

Matt

dwa2469 said:
Man I still think that buggy is the best ever, I don't think I could have parted with it :****:
The Luke said:
What he said.
She certainly was a good one. I wish the current owner... don't know who it is now, would put her back in service. (I think it's changed hands about 3 times so far). I sold it only needing a motor (and harness) and th350... seriously, even sent it with the steering pump and exhaust manifolds...????

It worked too well, and looked good doing it, to sit in a building collecting dust.

I was a little doubtful on it still being able to have a "sleeper" look after all the work, but you really would have to do a double take at it from 30 steps away to realize the amount of work you put into it. If it didn't have the cage coming out the back of the cab it would really blend in. Nice work man.

AllGoNoShow said:
I was a little doubtful on it still being able to have a "sleeper" look after all the work, but you really would have to do a double take at it from 30 steps away to realize the amount of work you put into it. If it didn't have the cage coming out the back of the cab it would really blend in. Nice work man.

Paint the cage chrome and put a row of busted up walmart KC daylighter knockoffs across the top and it would look right at home on an ol Coon hunter's 'Manche

I saw this thing from a distance Friday morning and instantly wanted to go over and drool. Got to look it over a couple times on the trails and man the fab work on this thing is second to none. Thanks for answering my 1000 questions on the trails.

I was thinking about the same with a full body from an XJ and 4 functional doors/seats.

Would be an amazing family trail machine. 8)

Bebop said:
I was thinking about the same with a full body from an XJ and 4 functional doors/seats.

Would be an amazing family trail machine. 8)

Do it!

jeeptj99 said:
I saw this thing from a distance Friday morning and instantly wanted to go over and drool. Got to look it over a couple times on the trails and man the fab work on this thing is second to none. Thanks for answering my 1000 questions on the trails.

Thanks man! I like talking shop.

TBItoy said:
Paint the cage chrome and put a row of busted up walmart KC daylighter knockoffs across the top and it would look right at home on an ol Coon hunter's 'Manche

That would be the icing on the cake.

AllGoNoShow said:

Thanks brother!

THIS is why I built a streetable rig...

37" DOT tires now on... time to pick Mattix up from school!

3ad7360cb177b0697e09a2446fab9463.jpg

1703a0a83bd77e19c39c1f9806e2d1a1.jpg

0967ab14d790cd08a9d66936bd210391.jpg

Two happy dudes...

Matt

mcutler said:

I need to start building all the other crazy rigs I have in my head before this one laughing1

Congrats on completion.... if any buggy is ever complete..

Forgive me if you've posted this but how did you go about getting it tagged in NC? I could have a lot more fun if I could get a tag on my buggy..