• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

2.7L Ecoboost

felipecj

I'm looking for a new truck at work and wanted to see if anyone on here has any experience with this engine yet. I've had a 5.0 for 4 years now with no problems. I was skeptical 4 years ago about the Ecoboost when it first came out, but I think it's done well overall. This truck will not have to tow that much, and when it will it will only be a few thousand pounds, nothing that crazy. I really don't see the 2.7 having any trouble with that. I test drove a 2.7 today and was surprised how good it drove and felt powerful.
Post up if you've had a chance to drive one of these and what your thoughts were.

My brother in law has the 3.5L and it does so much better than I ever thought a small displacement motor could do. Looks like the 2.7 is still over 300 ponies and the torque numbers are good too. Don't see why it wouldn't do all a stock 5.0 would do and more.

He's well over 50k on his with no issues.

I have a 2015 2.7 4x4 electric rear locker and built in trailer brake controller which is by far nicer than any add on controller I've had.. Use I for everything daily driving and towing. Average about 20mpg empty with a lot of 75mph highway miles and towing is 10mpg at 80 and about 13 at 65. Has lots of power and really like the transmission too. 12,000 miles so far with no problems.

I rented one from my local dealership for 24 hours. Put 750 miles on it in a day and really enjoyed it. I actually came back and seriously contemplated buying one! If I go back to a half ton, that is what it will be.

I couldn't believe that it was the 2.7 either. Pulled this LS, 1 ton TJ and a heavy ass uhaul car hauler no problem. I was very impressed.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    801.9 KB · Views: 130
Only 2nd hand information here, but I think I heard of condensation issues in the intercooler on the hair dryer models. We test drove the 2.7 model last fall liked it overall, but ended up buying the 5.0 version instead.

we have 6 navigators in the fleet where I work and 4 transit vans all with the ecoboost engine. ours have the 3.5L. a little more power than the 2.7. Around 60 -70 k on the navs so far and zero issues with the engines, vans are still new but great so far. Would definitely recommend for a daily/ occasional tow rig. thumb.gif

Hillbilly said:
Only 2nd hand information here, but I think I heard of condensation issues in the intercooler on the hair dryer models. We test drove the 2.7 model last fall liked it overall, but ended up buying the 5.0 version instead.
Condensation issues? I haven't heard of that yet.

Re: 2.7L Ecoboost

Yeh the first 3.5 models were junk. We running the 2.7 now in work trucks they seem good

I appreciate the feedback I've gotten. Good to hear some real reviews, especially from the ones that have towed with the 2.7!

I wanted to post an update now that I've had this truck for a couple weeks. I absolutely love the truck and the drivetrain! I consistently get 4-5 MPG more than I did with my 5 liter F150.
To compare, before I would get 14 in town, now I get 19. On the interstate this weekend I got 21-22 MPG running 80+ MPH.
It doesn't downshift as much as the 5.0 did either, it just builds up boost and goes. Granted it's not a 3/4 6.7L diesel, but it pulls my 16 FT enclosed trailer just as well as my previous truck.
All in all I'm impressed. I know you can only tell so much in 2 weeks and a 1000 miles, but I look forward to following up on this when I have 100K miles, hopefully still talking good about it.

felipecj said:
I wanted to post an update now that I've had this truck for a couple weeks. I absolutely love the truck and the drivetrain! I consistently get 4-5 MPG more than I did with my 5 liter F150.
To compare, before I would get 14 in town, now I get 19. On the interstate this weekend I got 21-22 MPG running 80+ MPH.
It doesn't downshift as much as the 5.0 did either, it just builds up boost and goes. Granted it's not a 3/4 6.7L diesel, but it pulls my 16 FT enclosed trailer just as well as my previous truck.
All in all I'm impressed. I know you can only tell so much in 2 weeks and a 1000 miles, but I look forward to following up on this when I have 100K miles, hopefully still talking good about it.

Good to hear it. If I downsize from my 3/4 ton, this is what I will buy. I enjoyed the miles I put on the rental.

I've seriously considered making this swap from my 07 F250 several times. Just haven't convinced myself to make the switch yet.

I have a 11 super crew 3.5 eb. 50k on the clock. 12k of those miles were pulling 5-9k lbs... 80mph hard miles. I do have some bolt ons and a SCT canned 93 tune. The truck is fun to drive.... I experienced the condensate issue a bunch and had a problem with cracking spark plugs. Truck would fall on its face due to sucking in all that moisture. I had seen a mod on a few forums so I drilled a weep hole on the lowest side of the fmic. After drilling that 1/8 hole I never experienced the problem again. The ecoboost has treated me right. I will buy another one

Re: 2.7L Ecoboost

Not going to lie. With mpg like that, y'all got me thinking about selling my Chevy.

Quick update on the 2.7- Very happy I tried out the 2.7. It's been a great truck and has good power even with 33's on it. It now has 100K on it and still running great. I was doubtful of this engine at first and that's why I came here asking about it 3 years ago, but glad I did now thumb.gif

Glad to hear you still like it. Dad bought a '18 with a 2.7 in it off of ebay. It was a "flood damage" vehicle. Water line was 1/4 way up the tires. never got in the cab. He's going on 35k, no issues as of right now. Granted he basically does no truck stuff with it. But he enjoys it.

I tried to talk my brother into a ecoboost last year. He settled on 5.0 but that ecoboost will whoop that 5.0's ass. He was worried about durability of the ecoboost. I might be in market for new truck next year and I think I'm sold on the ecoboost. Thanks for the real world feedback

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro