• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Plasma cutter options

Or you could just buy mine for $500. Nearly new, needs new lead. Tried to cut the same piece of steel several times, wouldn't penetrate. Got mad and beat the handle on the vice and busted it all to hell. Look down, the ground wasn't hooked to the table. I felt like a moron. Saw a new in box lead on ebay for $85, just haven't needed to cut anything in a while so...

I've got a thermal dynamics cutter. It's done everything I've asked of it sofar, which isn't a lot. the only time I use is it for aluminum and stainless, which equals maybe 1-2 times a year.

5BrothersFabrication said:
Or you could just buy mine for $500. Nearly new, needs new lead. Tried to cut the same piece of steel several times, wouldn't penetrate. Got mad and beat the handle on the vice and busted it all to hell. Look down, the ground wasn't hooked to the table. I felt like a moron. Saw a new in box lead on ebay for $85, just haven't needed to cut anything in a while so...

Temper temper. :flipoff1:

I've got a Lotos Lt5000d. So far all I've done is cut out 4 H1 stock centers and the only problem has been my lack of skill with it. :****:

Hypertherm is the best, and even if you buy a unit made in 1999 Jim colt will take the time to talk you through any issues you may have. I know first hand lol. I bought a powermax 1100, it's a oddball machine, was made in 1999 and worked perfectly. The issue I had is that it was never meant to be automated. I called Jim colt, and he walked me through making it work with my cnc table.

With any plasma cutter rust,paint and moisture will kill consumables. So get a good air dryer, and clean the part you're cutting.

Bought a Lotos LTP5000D for $299 on a sale through newegg of all places. Works, wish I had it a year earlier and I need to open the case to check for the famous loose terminals. Pilot arc sputters and might just be a loose lead somewhere.

Re:

Bump to see if anybody else has had more good or bad experiences with the Lotos. Thinking about buying one this winter.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Re:

onepieceatatime said:
Bump to see if anybody else has had more good or bad experiences with the Lotos. Thinking about buying one this winter.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Mine is still rocking or was the last time I fired it up about 2 months ago. It'll likely see a lot more use soon, since I'm about to start fab on my CJ project.

Hypertherm and Thermal dynamics are the only two plasma only manufacturers. There machines are superior in every way. Miller Lincoln and esab are welder manufacturers who attempt plasma but not very well. The import machines are import machines, they are fine until they stop working or you need parts. You can buy a new thermal cutmaster 52. With 60amp output for around 1500.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I cheaped out and went with the colossal tech cut50d. Only complaint is the consumables go quick and it's a pain to arc. 3 years now and still going. Thickest I have cut was a dana 60 steering arm and it whacked it off in one cut.

I also have been using the lotus lt5000 whatever the name is, for about a year now. Max i've cut is 3/8" kinda slow but it cut it. Cuts 1/4 easy. Consumables are a little pricey but once you learn what to do and what not to do you dont go through alot. For just an at home non-professional shop, i'd buy it again

Hypertherm period for production work. They are it. I have 2 thermal dynamics, but wish I had Hypertherm, I've used several at other shops. My TD are still great, just a few steps behind the HT. That said, buy a chinese one with a replacement warranty and consumables available if you're a garage guy. If you are using it to make you money, but don't charge enough to afford a name brand machine, charge more money. If you're using it for hobby crap and don't have any extra money, go chinese with warranty and enjoy

Bump. My hyperthem 30 finally quit after being heavily abused for 7 ish years.
But don't let that stop you this thing has been thrown in the bed of a truck, ran continuously for way longer than the recommended duty cycle, over heated, and ran off of low power. I'm probably just spend the extra and go get a Hypertherm 45 max. But thought I'd bump this to see if anyone has an opinion..

Eddyj said:
Bump. My hyperthem 30 finally quit after being heavily abused for 7 ish years.
But don't let that stop you this thing has been thrown in the bed of a truck, ran continuously for way longer than the recommended duty cycle, over heated, and ran off of low power. I'm probably just spend the extra and go get a Hypertherm 45 max. But thought I'd bump this to see if anyone has an opinion..

Im also looking to get a Hypertherm 45 XP in the near future.....keep us posted on where you find the best price.

The HT 45xp is a beast compared to the 30. With my old 30 I usually was hesitant to do aluminum tread plate because the aluminum would blow back and shitwreck the tip. The 45 blows through it like TonyBoltOn blows through single ply toilet paper after a Taco Bell buffet.
I will try and bump this when I have time to get the Lil dirty 30 repaired.

wont work said:
Hypertherm is the leader in plasma cutters.

If your wanting to cut only 1/4" you need a machine that will cut up to 1/2. If not you will not be making the cuts your are expecting to get with a plasma cutter.
I have a hypertherm, had a Chinese one that a friend gave me. Gave it away and got a Hypertherm. been satisfied with it.
And on a side note. I register it (hardly ever do that) and they sent me a free 120 volt stick welder for free. So now I carry a 120 volt stick welder in our box on the trailer. And our generator on our camper is able to run it with no problem. Works good for trail repairs back at camp to keep you wheeling for the rest of the weekend.

One thing I'd add to this is my bad experience with Thermal Dynamics, I bought a Cutmaster 38 from them years ago and hardly even used it. One day I plugged it up, connected air, turned it on and got nothing. The unit would come on but would not arc, I replaced all consumables, even tried a buddie's torch off his working unit but still no arc. I called Thermal Dynamics, they told me the main board was bad but it was out of warranty (like 3yrs 4 months on a 3 yr warranty). I was unhappy that they didnt stand behind their product any better than that but it was out of warranty. The main board was $1,000 but the machine only cost $1,300 new 3 years earlier so I put it under the work ench and went without a plasma. Afte some Google searching it turns out main board failurse were common on those particular torches. I bought a Hypertherm a couple years later and have used the crap out of it ever since. Havnt had the forst bit of trouble out of it.

On a side note, does anyone want to buy a Cutmaster 38 with a bad main board?