• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

FiTech Fuel injection

wimpykid

Beware the Skinny Pedal
Has anyone had any experience with FiTech?

Got a new system from them last week. Installed it Monday and it doesn't work. I've contacted tech support a couple times and it still doesn't work. As far as Fi Tech and MSD, are concerned, it has been installed correctly.

Turn ignition switch on, fuel pump runs, injectors pulse, fuel pump shuts off once pressure gets were it needs to be, and all is good. Problem is hit starter button, engine fires, and no more injector pulse, so engine dies.

Now, I can't anyone from fitech to answer or call back when I call.

I'm putting a carb on it tomorrow to make sure it's not the msd box.

Thanks for the link. I'm gonna have to start searching for stuff before starting a new post.

Anyway, it's good to see some folks on HL having somewhat good experience with this system. I'll keep updating what they are doing for me to make it right. Give me a new system and half my money back would be great, but I'm sure I'll have settle for a working unit.

It'll take a while to trust it once I get one that works. Bottom of rail trail with a dead engine is no place to be!

I've been hearing/reading good stuff about the FiTech kits....once I get the brakes dialed in on that Cuda, I'm hoping to budget enough to switch to their 2 carb kit. to get some MPG's and drivability so my mom can enjoy driving it when she wants to.

I like how simple and compact their kits look....and price doesn't hurt either.

Yeah, price is why I went with this setup over propane. It is super easy to set up, just wish it was working right.

Prime the fuel line, hit the starter, and it fires. Actually quicker than my factory Efi. But at least the Ford efi would work!

wimpykid said:
Yeah, price is why I went with this setup over propane. It is super easy to set up, just wish it was working right.

Prime the fuel line, hit the starter, and it fires. Actually quicker than my factory Efi. But at least the Ford efi would work!

Maybe you need the Chevy version.....or would that Ford not be able to handle that level? :)

Did you check to make sure the coil wire is sending a signal to the computer? It sounds like either this wire is not hooked up or the coil is bad and not sending a signal . I have a holley hp and if my coil wire is not hooked up, the injectors will not fire.

It sure sounds like the ECM isn't seeing the engine rotating. (tach input or coil) The pre start prime sounds like its working, but when it has to see the engine spinning over to fire the injectors, its not getting a signal. Just my .02

jayphizzle said:
It sure sounds like the ECM isn't seeing the engine rotating. (tach input or coil) The pre start prime sounds like its working, but when it has to see the engine spinning over to fire the injectors, its not getting a signal. Just my .02

I wonder if the msd (Multiple Spark Discharge) is throwing the ecm for a loop. may need to hook to the tach signal wire???

muddinmetal said:
Are you ****ing serious?

Damn Skippy I'm serious. I expect to get a working unit, no more no less. I waited over a month for it to get here and it doesn't work when installed. Talk to tech support 3 times and finally he laughs and says you need someone from warranty. Now they don't return my calls.

The tach signal is hooked up, both Fi Tech and msd agree on the hook up I have. The tach is working for the the time the engine is working. I will update later, once the carb is installed

Got a call from tech guy and he has concluded its a bad unit. Told me to call the main number and speak with someone about the return. 3 calls later and a voice message, still no answer.

I know I'm impatient, but man.

And the motor runs good with a carburetor.

i hate being treated that way, the tech guy concluded that the part was bad, why could he not take care of it on the spot ?, there is no reason to 'talk to warranty', i was going to try their system out on a buggy later in the fall, but maybe not ,
sorry for the hassles that they have been givin

bigs10blazer said:
i hate being treated that way, the tech guy concluded that the part was bad, why could he not take care of it on the spot ?, there is no reason to 'talk to warranty', i was going to try their system out on a buggy later in the fall, but maybe not ,
sorry for the hassles that they have been givin

About like asking a waitress if you can substute something and them having to go ask. Empower your employees, don't micro manage them.

I have gotten a couple emails from fitech today and still nothing has been resolved. I've been told 4 times now the ecm is not seeing the pulse, telling it to fire the injectors, but I have it wired correctly(their words not mine).

I was hoping to get a call from them today, seeing as how I emailed them and said to call so we could go over the wiring, again. Calling and leaving voice mail does nothing.

I was cc'd on an email from Pace Performance to fitech asking them get this resolved. Thanks Johnny, but I'm still getting the run around from fitech.

Is it possible to probe the wire that is supposed to be seeing that signal at the back of the connector for the computer? If you can get a test light on the back of the connector, it should tell you if the wire is sending the signal all the way to the computer when you turn it over. It would eliminate the wiring up to the computer as the issue and back up the bad computer scenario

Yeah, I should be able to do that. Thanks.

Also, I know electronics can be finicky with connections so I'm going to solder them. I had planned to do this once I got it working, but this may be the problem.

Checked for a pulse on the ecm side of the connector and it is pulsing. Also soldered the connections and that didn't help.

Pace Performance called today and said they were turning it over to FiTech.