• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Gm 14 bolt rear steer

I haven`t done a pile of research on these 14 bolt steer axles. Can you basically build it to where axle shafts for a front dana 60 will slid right in to the 14 bolt? The whole setup is looks very nice. Great work.. I like that shave kit to.

Re: Re: Gm 14 bolt rear steer

truckbroke said:
I haven`t done a pile of research on these 14 bolt steer axles. Can you basically build it to where axle shafts for a front dana 60 will slid right in to the 14 bolt? The whole setup is looks very nice. Great work.. I like that shave kit to.
You can... but you have to buy a 35 spline spool (or make up some other 14b diff with 35 spline side gears)

I was reading a couple articles on Tracy Jordan and Jesse Haines rigs. It gave me a serious 4wheel steer bug.

What's it cost to for you build one for a customer?

If you have the donor axle already shaved, no truss install. Just guts of the build

LightBnDr said:
I was reading a couple articles on Tracy Jordan and Jesse Haines rigs. It gave me a serious 4wheel steer bug.

If you have the donor axle already shaved, no truss install. Just guts of the build

**Warning*** Once you go rear steer you will never own another rig without it.. I feel like i cant drive without it anymore.. Not that i can drive well with it in the first place. Its a whole new ball game being able to align your rear tires exactly where you want them. Those 14B are sweet. Great Job on the build

LightBnDr said:

I all depends on how exterme u want.Heres wut I hav in mine

Basic parts
Ballistic shave kit 250.00
New tubes 400.00
Solid industries C's 425.00

The rest

Truss 250.00
King pin kits 250.00
Solid industries knuckles 425.00
Axles shafts. Inner,outer 635.00
Yukon U joints 350.00
TMR brake brackets 125.00
ARP spindle studs 75.00
Stage 8 150.00
ARB 1000.00
5.13 gears shaved 300.00
Yukon drive flanges 300.00
Bearing kit 150.00
Blue torch steering arms 300.00
Arp studs 75.00
Wheel Hubs already had them
PSC 8" double ended ram
Electric over hydraulic steering pump 600.00
High angle driveline flange 200.00
Reid racing bronze bushings 150.00
Crane spring eliminater 50.00
Lower yukon kingpin cap 50.00

Shafts arrived while I was offshore great job Geartech HD

Attachments

• 0812161624.jpg
    0812161624.jpg
    576.2 KB · Views: 132
  • 0812161625.jpg
    0812161625.jpg
    482.2 KB · Views: 139
You bore the end of the tubes to fit the seal. But on yours the the id of the tube is to large to start with.

I used the factory dana 60 inner seal and I made a outer seal 2,u can build a step and taper it cause trying to get the axle in is gonna be a pain to line up without knocking the seal out

redneckengineered said:
Can you share details on the machining of the housing for the factory Dana seals?
I retubed it and machined the inner seal.the problem on the 14 bolt center section is that where the tubes press in there not completely round they taper.if u can line bore the center is the best fit,make sure u machine the tubes for 0.001 press fit.the axle tubes r not 3 3/8 there off by up to 0.09

EddieHall said:
BTT
I've had some interest from member wanting to build a rear steer 14 bolt

I wish someone sold a complete kit for keeping the 14 bolt as much as is as possible, Mine is already trussed and shaved and I would porta band the outers off in a heartbeat if all I had to do is press the c's on, assemble the hubs slide in the axle shafts etc and go. But the thought of re tubing all new brackets etc at this point doesn't excite me. I would imagine if a kit was available to those who are in the same situation with a 14 bolt installed already. I would think it wouldn't be hard to have set measurements out to the cut and have shafts pre-made for the setup.

Could this be done with oem tubes? Maybe upgrade to a 40 spline arb since I have arb up front?

It wouldn't be hard to do ,the only problem would be is either taking the housing to a machine shop the mic the tubes to bore the C's,or mic it yourself and hope the bore is the same

EddieHall said:
It wouldn't be hard to do ,the only problem would be is either taking the housing to a machine shop the mic the tubes to bore the C's,or mic it yourself and hope the bore is the same

Doing some research there are some sweet billet aluminum axle seals that use 3 o rings to seal on the axle tube so no machining would be required. They come in multiple spline counts up to 47, seems that would be worth it to save some machine costs.

Looks like RCV makes a kit retaining the factory inner splines and 35 spline outters. Those are pricey im sure but expand options.
From your math you could do one complete for around 4 k? If the axle was geared and locked.

SBJeepn said:
I wish someone sold a complete kit for keeping the 14 bolt as much as is as possible, Mine is already trussed and shaved and I would porta band the outers off in a heartbeat if all I had to do is press the c's on, assemble the hubs slide in the axle shafts etc and go. But the thought of re tubing all new brackets etc at this point doesn't excite me. I would imagine if a kit was available to those who are in the same situation with a 14 bolt installed already. I would think it wouldn't be hard to have set measurements out to the cut and have shafts pre-made for the setup.

Could this be done with oem tubes? Maybe upgrade to a 40 spline arb since I have arb up front?

WOD does a steering 14 bolt builder kit that kind of answers your question:

https://www.wideopendesign.com/steering-14-bolt-builder-kit

When you have the whole deal together, just measure for shafts and you're good to go.

Personally I like the idea of the inner axle seal ,the aluminum seal with the o rings would be the next best thing ,crane make there side adjuster that excerpts the D60 seal I've machined a few that weld into ur adjuster.ill post a pic
I just had rcv make me some 300m rear steer 14 shafts ..I have a set of u joint shafts 300m,4340 super joints ready 2 go

EddieHall said:
Personally I like the idea of the inner axle seal ,the aluminum seal with the o rings would be the next best thing ,crane make there side adjuster that excerpts the D60 seal I've machined a few that weld into ur adjuster.ill post a pic
I just had rcv make me some 300m rear steer 14 shafts ..I have a set of u joint shafts 300m,4340 super joints ready 2 go

What did the rcv run ya?

Latest posts