• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Do we have any runners on here?

I ran for a few years. Wife wanted to do a couch to 5k program so I joined her. We ran several 5ks, and a 10k. I never really got the bug for races. Wife did a couple 1/2 marathons. I figured if someone was still chasing me after 5-6 miles I would just be caught.

I stopped running at the advice of my neurosurgeon after an MRI which eventually lead to surgery. I've been biking these days. I like getting my exercise as a side effect of doing fun stuff. I enjoyed the people running, but never the activity itself.

bgredjeep said:
I ran for a few years. Wife wanted to do a couch to 5k program so I joined her. We ran several 5ks, and a 10k. I never really got the bug for races. Wife did a couple 1/2 marathons. I figured if someone was still chasing me after 5-6 miles I would just be caught.

I stopped running at the advice of my neurosurgeon after an MRI which eventually lead to surgery. I've been biking these days. I like getting my exercise as a side effect of doing fun stuff. I enjoyed the people running, but never the activity itself.
Same. I hate running. I want to be DOING something. Biking is kind of that for me, as long as I have a buddy to race against. I like competition. Its also low impact on the lower joints in your body.

My wife has run marathons and is a certifiable trail running bad ass. It isn't my passion in life or anything, but I do enjoy the solitude and quiet.
I took it up last year as part of a renewed fitness plan and lost 75 pounds from March till November. I won my age group (35-39) in 2 events, somehow.

I ran a few 5k (28 min) and 10k (59 min) races and even ran a 1/2 marathon as a goal for myself. I ran it in 2 hours 27 minutes.

Attachments

• before.jpg
    before.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 108
  • after.jpg
    after.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 111
Jody Treadway said:
My wife has run marathons and is a certifiable trail running bad ass. It isn't my passion in life or anything, but I do enjoy the solitude and quiet.
I took it up last year as part of a renewed fitness plan and lost 75 pounds from March till November. I won my age group (35-39) in 2 events, somehow.

I ran a few 5k (28 min) and 10k (59 min) races and even ran a 1/2 marathon as a goal for myself. I ran it in 2 hours 27 minutes.

Congrats! Impressive dedication!

Alright guys, anybody else been training for a run?

I have a Warrior Dash this weekend in Pulaski, TN I'm looking forward to.

I've been keeping my runs relatively short for this one, but did do 6 miles two Sundays ago just to make sure I still had it in me.

Yep, train every day. Did a GORUCK challenge in March then the Spartan Sprint at Ft. Benning 2 weeks ago. Planning on getting my Trifecta this year but I haven't decided yet where my Super and Beast are going to be. They'll be later this year. Also have the Panther Run in Springville in May and Barbarian Challenge in Gadsden in June.

jpony645 said:
Yep, train every day. Did a GORUCK challenge in March then the Spartan Sprint at Ft. Benning 2 weeks ago. Planning on getting my Trifecta this year but I haven't decided yet where my Super and Beast are going to be. They'll be later this year. Also have the Panther Run in Springville in May and Barbarian Challenge in Gadsden in June.

Very nice, I'm gonna have to get into the Spartans like that. Something about that Trifecta gets me interested, I think it's a great marketing strategy.

Jody Treadway said:
Ran a 12k trail race 2 weeks ago and signed up for 2 more in the next month. I am training for my first 30k later this summer!

Whew! I can only do a few of the longer runs like that a year (off pavement anyways), all the off camber trails/ slippery mud/ hills is rough on my knees.

I need to get signed up for a TM full for 2017. I try to do one of those a year.

Funny story, they boy signed up to do a 5k with me. We never run. I ran a 5k last oct and that's the last time I did any cardio or running of any kind. 2 weeks ago we go in and I told him, wife and daughter (17) that if they beat me, I would give them $100. Daughter didn't show, she had a swim meet a couple hours after the run, wife is no contest, the boy (8) is all about competition. He is front row, ready to win. He takes off sprinting and disappears. runs in first for the first 1/4 mile. Then he learns a lesson about track meet vs marathon. He burns out and I catch him at about 3/4 mile. We jog on. At 2 miles he's crying his side hurts and I just keep him going, we walk a lot. By 2.75 miles he's so screaming mad at me he hates me and why am I so mean that when he wants to walk I just keep jogging slow to keep him going. He will sprint past me in anger, then fizzle out and need to catch his breath again. I'm staying positive, just talking in a conversational tone to him. We go over the last 2 big hills and come around a bend, he's ready to quit, hates it etc. 1/3-1/4 mile left and I say, look, theres the finish, there's your $100. I started 5 sec behind you, so you have to beat me by 5+ sec. He went from "I'm going to die, my stomach hurts, I hate this" to the ****ing roadrunner in about .5 seconds. Holy ****, took off. I'm pretty low on gas at this point but I hate to lose. I know I have to keep him in reach but not finish in front of. I RAN the last 1/4 mile and finished about 5 sec behind him. It was 30 min of waiting until the time sheets came out.

39A83AFA-0A24-4FFC-9164-6DE0C4F10F17_zpsjsngloo3.png

6312F6E0-3B1B-409C-960F-F500D21041D0_zpsxqg2lfzs.jpg

He is pissed and learned a couple lessons about quitting, how corrected time works (like endurance racing, you're racing the clock), and learned what he has in the tank when his mind says he is tired.
I was like, this little MF'er sandbagged me and made me walk and then leaves me FTW, if this was planned, I'm very proud laughing1
So I win by .5 of a second. His mom tells him that I should give him the $100 anyway because he tried hard. Ya, no. no second place trophies. I told him I'd put $100 toward a bike more suited for the trails we ride so he can get in the woods with me. Good ****.

blacksheep10 said:
Funny story, they boy signed up to do a 5k with me. We never run. I ran a 5k last oct and that's the last time I did any cardio or running of any kind. 2 weeks ago we go in and I told him, wife and daughter (17) that if they beat me, I would give them $100. Daughter didn't show, she had a swim meet a couple hours after the run, wife is no contest, the boy (8) is all about competition. He is front row, ready to win. He takes off sprinting and disappears. runs in first for the first 1/4 mile. Then he learns a lesson about track meet vs marathon. He burns out and I catch him at about 3/4 mile. We jog on. At 2 miles he's crying his side hurts and I just keep him going, we walk a lot. By 2.75 miles he's so screaming mad at me he hates me and why am I so mean that when he wants to walk I just keep jogging slow to keep him going. He will sprint past me in anger, then fizzle out and need to catch his breath again. I'm staying positive, just talking in a conversational tone to him. We go over the last 2 big hills and come around a bend, he's ready to quit, hates it etc. 1/3-1/4 mile left and I say, look, theres the finish, there's your $100. I started 5 sec behind you, so you have to beat me by 5+ sec. He went from "I'm going to die, my stomach hurts, I hate this" to the ****ing roadrunner in about .5 seconds. Holy ****, took off. I'm pretty low on gas at this point but I hate to lose. I know I have to keep him in reach but not finish in front of. I RAN the last 1/4 mile and finished about 5 sec behind him. It was 30 min of waiting until the time sheets came out.

39A83AFA-0A24-4FFC-9164-6DE0C4F10F17_zpsjsngloo3.png

6312F6E0-3B1B-409C-960F-F500D21041D0_zpsxqg2lfzs.jpg

He is pissed and learned a couple lessons about quitting, how corrected time works (like endurance racing, you're racing the clock), and learned what he has in the tank when his mind says he is tired.
I was like, this little MF'er sandbagged me and made me walk and then leaves me FTW, if this was planned, I'm very proud laughing1
So I win by .5 of a second. His mom tells him that I should give him the $100 anyway because he tried hard. Ya, no. no second place trophies. I told him I'd put $100 toward a bike more suited for the trails we ride so he can get in the woods with me. Good ****.

There is no way I could beat mine if I tried. He runs a 5k in 28 minutes with energy left over to come back and finish with me! Good job!!! :dblthumb:

Here's my 1 year to the date transformation pic. On the left was me after watching my wife run the DuPont 12K last year and I was 285#. The right side is after I ran it last month 1 year to the day after I started eating healthy and running some. Currently holding at 220# with plans to be at 199 on July 3rd, my 40th birthday.

Attachments

• fatass.jpg
    fatass.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 271
blacksheep10 said:

I like it!

Tough mudders are fun, have ran a couple! Last marathon I ran was the Marine Corps Marathon in 2012. Try and run a mile a day faster than 7min just so I don't forget how... ;)

Jody Treadway said:
Here's my 1 year to the date transformation pic. On the left was me after watching my wife run the DuPont 12K last year and I was 285#. The right side is after I ran it last month 1 year to the day after I started eating healthy and running some. Currently holding at 220# with plans to be at 199 on July 3rd, my 40th birthday.

Did you do a specific diet or just eat healthier in general?

I did a very simple lifestyle change. I wouldn't call it a diet whatsoever.

I only eat real, single ingredient food. That's it.
Veggies, fruit, meat, eggs,nuts, etc.
Very little bread, very, very low artificial sugars. Nothing out of a wrapper or bag. I also go low sodium.
My exercise level didn't really go up much, I just started running after the weight came off. So most of the weight loss was purely diet.

I watched my sugar intake more than anything and kept my daily intake under 35-40 grams. It's amazing how much sugars are in condiments and low fat/fat free foods.

Hop on Netflix and watch Fed Up as well as Forks over Knives as a start.

What kind of shoes ya'll using? Ive always loved brooks pure flows, but hate the newer ones. Mikes have always hurt my calves and shins. I'm about to buy a new pair bc my old pure flows are pretty beat.

Re: Re: Do we have any runners on here?

mckeddie said:
What kind of shoes ya'll using? Ive always loved brooks pure flows, but hate the newer ones. Mikes have always hurt my calves and shins. I'm about to buy a new pair bc my old pure flows are pretty beat.
Brooks I like. Been running in them a while. I was told I need a stability shoe because of how I run. I also like Newton's. On the bottom fore foot they are raised. You can't really tell, only first time wearing them. They really help with heal strike. They will smoke your calves the first few runs until your calves build strength. Great shoes though. I currently wear Brooks to walk in and do general stuff, but using the Newton for running at the moment. Ever been to a running shop to get fitted? Worth it.

I'm really limited on running. On my 4th knee surgery to repair an ACL and it's slow to get back my full range of motion. Only 33.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Re: Re: Do we have any runners on here?

jpony645 said:
Which GORUCK event did you do? Been wanting to do one in Atl or Athens but need to get my knee squared away.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

mckeddie said:

Go to a local running store and they will determine which shoes are best based on a lot of different factors. They will evaluate your stride and the way to literally place your feet when you step.
I wear Hoka running shoes for pavement and Altra for trail running.

Latest posts