• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Trail Riding in France

Bebop

Alrighty, as you already may know, I'm french and moved to the USA about a year ago.

Since then I tried to go to a maximum of events and meet people to talk about offroading and life on both sides of the Atlantic ocean. But it's hard to explain what terrain and vehicles we have without pictures.

Last weekend, during Thanksgiving (which do not exist in Europe), a few buddies gathered for what is, IMHO, the best ride of the year.

It takes place in a private park, 20mn outside of the city of Toulon, my home town, in the south east of France :

Where-is-Toulon-on-map-of-France.jpg

Little view of the city :

800px-Toulon_vu_depuis_ND_du_mai.jpg

My good friend Yves and I set this ride up last year as a farewell gathering before I left for the US.
People loved it so much they decided it should become an annual event, and this is number 2.

The park, named "Domaine de Sigalous" is absolutely amazing.
The park owner is a master wine maker and the actual riding takes place in the hills surrounding the vineyard.

This is the pavilion/castle at the entrance :

domaine-de-sigalous-12.jpg

And this is an aerial view of the place :

t25_photo-28-07-2016-14-09-05_3_94874.jpg

So, when you're done riding, you can go back to the pavilion for some wine tasting. And trust me, it's good !

411142152193933560988714108412991800559566931938n.jpg

They also have "cabins" you can rent. By cabins I mean actual condos in the castle. Living in style !

That said, there is very few obstacles suited for the rigs since there is very few buggiess around.
But the fact we're so abnormal here means the park owner lets us cut our own trails (after asking for permission of course). The more we come, the better it seems as more and more trails are cut. And after 3 years of riding there at least once a month, there is enough trails and obstacles for a good weekend of riding.

This place is amazing if you're into rocks. It was wet during the event because of a week of rain before but when dry, it's crawling heaven.

The turnout of the event was great by french standards which means 6 buggies :D
As said before, extreme offroad is not very developed, but we're working hard to change things over there and it's slowly moving. There are 3 people in the passenger seats who will have their buggies completed soon. 2 more bouncers and a moon buggy.

Enough talking, here are some pictures, and you can see a lot more by clicking the link below :

http://pirate4x4.fr/showthread.php/19182-Sortie-Au-Sigalou-27-11-2016

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Let me know what you think.

BTW, if any of you guys ends up in south of France for any reason, I know all the good places to hit... Like this restaurant with a great chef and amazing location :

slide1.jpg

slide5.jpg

Hook me up with a 50' boat and a few blondes! I will stay out in that beautiful water while yall are riding. :****:

Man that's cool! I'm a little geographically challenged, but do they speak English there or French? I ask because your English/grammar seems extremely good for it to not be a native language.

Enzo, very cool pictures! Want to show the wife pictures of the trail riding, but afraid to show her the pictures of the Offroad park/vineyard. She may make me dust off the Passport and go check out your town.

smbroady82 said:
I dig that little blue single seater

Built by one of the only offroad fabricators in France. Same guy that does the buggy build in one week I posted a few months ago.
Full US drivetrain which is quite rare.

sledneck said:
Very cool. Thanks for posting pics guess this is how the rich people wheel lol

Believe it or not, these people are hard workers who make a lot of sacrifices before being able to enjoy their passion fully. Just like here.
And living in France makes every parts harder to get and more expensive.

zukimaster said:
Hook me up with a 50' boat and a few blondes! I will stay out in that beautiful water while yall are riding. :****:

I can do that too 8)

TacomaJD said:
Man that's cool! I'm a little geographically challenged, but do they speak English there or French? I ask because your English/grammar seems extremely good for it to not be a native language.

French people speak french and while the new generation like myself is more and more sensitive to the idea of speaking english, let's say it's not very developed.
I've been trying to improve my english for a few years now and traveling and living here definitely helped. Thanks for the kind words.

ridered3 said:
Enzo, very cool pictures! Want to show the wife pictures of the trail riding, but afraid to show her the pictures of the Offroad park/vineyard. She may make me dust off the Passport and go check out your town.

You're very welcome there buddy, it's a cool place. Try to avoid June to August, there is too much tourists to enjoy the place. And we cannot wheel because of the fire risks. But May or September is perfect !

Bebop said:
You're very welcome there buddy, it's a cool place. Try to avoid June to August, there is too much tourists to enjoy the place. And we cannot wheel because of the fire risks. But May or September is perfect !

Good to know. Small world, but was discussing your post with my wife's Grandfather tonight and he mentioned back in 1954 he spent some training time in Marseille during his Marine Corp days. He told me about how blue to water was there and how interesting of a place it was for a poor boy from the middle Tennesee area to get to travel to such a place as that.

ridered3 said:
Good to know. Small world, but was discussing your post with my wife's Grandfather tonight and he mentioned back in 1954 he spent some training time in Marseille during his Marine Corp days. He told me about how blue to water was there and how interesting of a place it was for a poor boy from the middle Tennesee area to get to travel to such a place as that.

Marseille is one hour west of Toulon. It's cool as hell and I love it a lot. The restaurant I was mentioning above is located in Marseille.

The world is small for sure. And so big at the same time.

Bebop said:
Marseille is one hour west of Toulon. It's cool as hell and I love it a lot. The restaurant I was mentioning above is located in Marseille.

The world is small for sure. And so big at the same time.

Too cool. I wish I could show him some of your pictures but with him being blind I can only describe them to him. Just showed the Hardline pictures to my wife and she said "so when do you want to vacation to South France..."

ridered3 said:
Too cool. I wish I could show him some of your pictures but with him being blind I can only describe them to him. Just showed the Hardline pictures to my wife and she said "so when do you want to vacation to South France..."

Bring it on ! Hit me up when you decide to turn this into reality 8)

kmcminn said:
That would be amazing to wheel there. Enzo you need to start exporting Smith buggies to france.

I could, I already sent a few cars to France.
It's more a matter of finding a buyer willing to have someone build him a buggy from scratch without seeing it and then pay for shipping and customs on top of this.
We have very few bouncing trails/obstacles and more crawling / Ultra4 stuff, so that would probably be a bigger market.
But you never know.

So just curious! But what would a man be looking at to ship his rig there to wheel for a few days? That's more like my kind of vacation! wheel, drink wine relax by the water!

yeager_0339 said:
So just curious! But what would a man be looking at to ship his rig there to wheel for a few days? That's more like my kind of vacation! wheel, drink wine relax by the water!

I don't know if you'd like it over there Chad, I don't think they have boxed wine :rolf:

A little off subject but have you ever wheeled in Switzerland? My old buggy is there, the last videos I saw of it where at a race where they had to go through a tight course with gates. It was the only buggy in the videos and pictures.

I didn't see you guys bumped the thread ! Apologies...

yeager_0339 said:

You could figure around 4 to 5 grand for the round trip. (for the rig only).
But I can find you a sweet rental for waaaaay less than that.

al1tonyota said:
A little off subject but have you ever wheeled in Switzerland? My old buggy is there, the last videos I saw of it where at a race where they had to go through a tight course with gates. It was the only buggy in the videos and pictures.

I have seen it actually ! Not in Switzerland, but in Germany. It competes in the Euro trial series which is held all over Europe. I've been to one German event where it participated.

smbroady82 said:
well, I'm definitely not going now

You should. Toulon is the place in France where there is the most sun in the year. 310 days of sun per year. :smoke:

LMAO

As you can see I'm not fully up to speed on everything. I'm learning though :p

South of France is better known for its vine industry than beer, but I know a couple cool bars that have 20 to 30 beers on tap + 250 on bottle. If that drags Broady out of AL.