• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

05+ superduty disc brakes

gubni

www.lugnut4x4.com
How much interest is there in a chevy 3/4 ton disc brake kit for these axles? Has anyone done it? Is there a kit available? I would be willing to make a kit, I just need a set of axles.

I'm not quite ready yet but definitely will be in the future!
What about the sterling 10.5 late model rear setup? It's a factory disc....is it similar in size to the chevy conversion, may not be an advantage to swap it all??

whiskeymakin said:
It's a factory disc....is it similar in size to the chevy conversion, may not be an advantage to swap it all??

Kinda what I'm thinking? What advantage would there be? 05+ is factory disc right?

redneckengineered said:
He's talking about front axles. Go take a look at my 14 bolt build thread. The rotors and calipers are MASSIVE.

I believe that on the on the 99-04 axles at least, using the Sterling rear rotors and calipers (with a caliper adapter bracket) was one method of getting smaller front brakes.

Sorry for the confusion....I was hitting on the 05+ REAR. I have one without the calipers so I don't know how much difference there is between them and a old chevy calipers for use on the rear. Wondering if it would cause you to need a larger master cyl. as well

Edit:

Attachments

• 2016-12-01 11.43.21.png
    2016-12-01 11.43.21.png
    33.2 KB · Views: 355
redneckengineered said:
He's talking about front axles. Go take a look at my 14 bolt build thread. The rotors and calipers are MASSIVE.

Not to ask a dense question, but are you guys looking for smaller brakes for weight/packaging or what? I used a 04 front on the buggy I built and had to come up with my own brakes because I went to 5 on 5.5". Just curious, I haven't seen the new stuff and was wondering what the draw back is?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stano said:
Not to ask a dense question, but are you guys looking for smaller brakes for weight/packaging or what? I used a 04 front on the buggy I built and had to come up with my own brakes because I went to 5 on 5.5". Just curious, I haven't seen the new stuff and was wondering what the draw back is?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Huge, heavy, bulky, requires 17" wheel minimum, larger MC, and as you can see from my picture they stick out quite a bit. I don't race and don't require a lot of stopping power, old school single piston Chevy's would be enough for my application.

You thinking of making a brake kit for the stock wheel bolt pattern or 8 on 6.5 ? The couple 05+ axles I have use, i redrilled the unit bearings for 8 on 6.5 to match a 14 bolt rear. A smaller brake package would e nice because I have had to grind the calipers slightly for certain brand 17" wheels

Yes, could you please go ahead and make a kit so when I'm ready to build a new front axle, your kit will be ready to go!!! thumb.gif

A 99 E350 rear rotor that has the pilot opened up will fit both a 99-04 and an 05-up axle, or at least a 06 F250. Unit bearing has to be drilled to the 8-6.5" lug pattern. The caliper mount in my link above for a 99-04 axle will not fit a 05-up it is actually too big.
Ran out of time today and the 05- up is not with me, it is on a buddy's build across Bham, I see this being very easy to do. Recentered H1 should clear easy.

RustyC said:
A 99 E350 rear rotor that has the pilot opened up will fit both a 99-04 and an 05-up axle, or at least a 06 F250. Unit bearing has to be drilled to the 8-6.5" lug pattern. The caliper mount in my link above for a 99-04 axle will not fit a 05-up it is actually too big.
Ran out of time today and the 05- up is not with me, it is on a buddy's build across Bham, I see this being very easy to do. Recentered H1 should clear easy.
So you're saying that rotor will work with the factory caliper and caliper bracket?

Beerj said:
So you're saying that rotor will work with the factory caliper and caliper bracket?

No use the 99 E350 rear rotor and a 3/4 ton GM caliper and a custom caliper mount. It is just a basic flat bracket 3/8" thick 4 holes 2 of them tapped.

redneckengineered said:
He said on facebook he was working on them but didn't give a time frame. I also have talked to Torq Motorsports and they are working on a kit based on the advice I gave them.

Cool, we're having the hubs drilled 8x6.5 so it's just a matter of figuring out which rotor and caliper to use I guess? Will any caliper rotor combo work without a bracket?

Latest posts