• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

05+ superduty disc brakes

I took some measurements this weekend.

Gotta draw up some brackets in CAD and send that to plasma cutting. We'll see, I'll keep you guys posted.

Attachments

• ss.jpg
    ss.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 164
Correct. Burkey sells a kit with Wilwood calipers, those hats and rotors and mounts for around $800 an axle.

That's a nice looking setup from branik. Whenever I build a 14 front in the future I may step up to these. It's just more than I wanted to spend right now trying to build a whole buggy. I have about twice as much gray hair since I started this build lol

redneckengineered said:
I'm not smart enough to answer this but what are the general thoughts on using 3/8 plate as a rotor?

I've got the older style Spidertrax 3/8" drilled rotors on my build. They've worked damn good on the jackstands so far. ::) But they're just 3/8" mild steel plate, and there is lots of guys out there running them. The newer style is slotted instead of drilled, but still just mild plate. They do have the pro series rotors that are made from heat treated chromoly, that's what most of the Ultra4 guys are using I guess. I would think that's probably way overkill for a trail rig though.

The moon buggy I have in the garage uses 1/4 mild steel plate rotors (Currie setup). Works damn good and you can't see any real wear on it.

I wouldn't be too afraid of running one.

Bebop said:
The moon buggy I have in the garage uses 1/4 mild steel plate rotors (Currie setup). Works damn good and you can't see any real wear on it.

I wouldn't be too afraid of running one.

there are a lot of rockwell pinion brakes that are 1/4-3/8" steel and work fine.....

thinking out loud here but why are people spending so much money on making the brakes lighter?

Ultra4 rig I can see it - a little
comp crawler - you at water or weight to tires

trail rig - not worth the money

rockwild said:
thinking out loud here but why are people spending so much money on making the brakes lighter?

Ultra4 rig I can see it - a little
comp crawler - you at water or weight to tires

trail rig - not worth the money
My front axle didn't come with brakes any way, so had to get something. I wanted a little more clearance between wheel and caliper, as much as I wanted to save weight.

Dirt700 said:
My front axle didn't come with brakes any way, so had to get something. I wanted a little more clearance between wheel and caliper, as much as I wanted to save weight.
Mine didn't have brakes either.... the Chevy parts were cheaper than the ford and going to run a Chevy rear so pattern matched. I bought calipers and brackets yesterday so I'll have a total soon.