• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

05+ superduty disc brakes

al1tonyota said:
Mine didn't have brakes either.... the Chevy parts were cheaper than the ford and going to run a Chevy rear so pattern matched. I bought calipers and brackets yesterday so I'll have a total soon.
Thanks, definitely will be helpful info in the future. I really like the unit bearings, and hopefully the ball joints hold up.

Re: Re: 05+ superduty disc brakes

Dirt700 said:
Thanks, definitely will be helpful info in the future. I really like the unit bearings, and hopefully the ball joints hold up.

Has there been any issues with guys tearing up ball joints yet?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

onepieceatatime said:
Has there been any issues with guys tearing up ball joints yet?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
I haven't heard of to many, there's a guy on Facebook that is selling an upper ball joint eliminater kit. Said he broke a couple. Burkey supposedly only ever bent one, but I think he had 550 knuckles, so I'm sure joints we're a little bigger.

Dirt700 said:
I haven't heard of to many, there's a guy on Facebook that is selling an upper ball joint eliminater kit. Said he broke a couple. Burkey supposedly only ever bent one, but I think he had 550 knuckles, so I'm sure joints we're a little bigger.

"little bigger" is an understatement, them things are fawking huge.The lower makes the upper look tiny in comparison and even then, the upper makes the normal stuff look like a dana 44.

Dirt700 said:

Have a link or anymore Info on this? The ball joints are the same between 99 and present I'm 99% sure. It's just the size of the knuckles and c that's different.

Not sure on the 550 stuff though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pplblazerdude said:
Have a link or anymore Info on this? The ball joints are the same between 99 and present I'm 99% sure. It's just the size of the knuckles and c that's different.

Not sure on the 550 stuff though

The guy selling them on Facebook is Nick Barna

Are you running a sd 60, and you had any problems?

Dirt700 said:
The guy selling them on Facebook is Nick Barna

Are you running a sd 60, and you had any problems?
I have 99-04. I change my
Ball joints once a year. They are still in spec when i change them. I have gone to grease able this year and will see if that helps any.

Not broke any yet but trying to prevent that's. Looked at the dynatracs but they are just to dang expensive

pplblazerdude said:
I have 99-04. I change my
Ball joints once a year. They are still in spec when i change them. I have gone to grease able this year and will see if that helps any.

Not broke any yet but trying to prevent that's. Looked at the dynatracs but they are just to dang expensive

BeerJ has been running one these axles for about a year now, with good success. I figured he would chime in sometime

99-04 with 38's full of water. Broke a u joint pulled the upper ball joint out a little. Hammered back and welded. Still holding.

rockwild said:
thinking out loud here but why are people spending so much money on making the brakes lighter?

Ultra4 rig I can see it - a little
comp crawler - you at water or weight to tires

trail rig - not worth the money

I've mostly been looking at it since mine needed new rotors, and I plan to run manual brakes, so I've been wondering if I can size the MC correctly to have decent pedal feel. Everybody and their brother has done it with 3/4-ton chevy calipers, and they are easy to find and cheap.

I'd love the Branik setup, but not $1800 love it to setup front and rear the same.

I finally decided to bite the bullet and bought new rotors and fresh unit bearings, and hope to have them machined soon and I'll figure out the MC later.

al1tonyota said:
Mine didn't have brakes either.... the Chevy parts were cheaper than the ford and going to run a Chevy rear so pattern matched. I bought calipers and brackets yesterday so I'll have a total soon.

I'm interested to see what caliper you end up with and the mounting.

JohnnyJ said:
I've mostly been looking at it since mine needed new rotors, and I plan to run manual brakes, so I've been wondering if I can size the MC correctly to have decent pedal feel. Everybody and their brother has done it with 3/4-ton chevy calipers, and they are easy to find and cheap.

I'd love the Branik setup, but not $1800 love it to setup front and rear the same.

I finally decided to bite the bullet and bought new rotors and fresh unit bearings, and hope to have them machined soon and I'll figure out the MC later.

I'm interested to see what caliper you end up with and the mounting.
I had made some brackets that would require some grinding and welding of the stock caliper bracket mounting points and also would still have bolts mounting the adaptor but... I bought the Reid knuckle so I could run my draglink higher and it's not made the same as the stock so I'm back to the engineering phase but I'm going to run 07' 2500hd rear calipers brackets and rotors one way or the other.

d1ea2f12b5ee2bd82a94a6c6a5347458.jpg
faab4e7c4056a9dd9e78a787d52abf06.jpg
b6c134bedc6741026691e7360a43e657.jpg
f97a5405060f7d614d3705d6c97f0f5b.jpg

Well I ended up ordering Reid knuckles since a straight tierod won't even come close to working! That said I'm not gonna cut and grind them down like I did the factory one I was prototyping. Basically I don't know what I'm going to do now I can use the parts I bought for the rear since it is the exact axle they are for?

kmcminn said:
I know being able to buy parts from Autozone is nice. But im leaning toward the branik kit.

Branik has nice stuff for sure. Are you going to use the 6 piston wilwood calipers? Or what calipers are you looking at? Reason why I ask is, I have 4 piston willwoods on all 4 corners, if I did it again, I would got with the 6 piston calipers.

Latest posts