• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

05+ superduty disc brakes

zsavage81 said:
Cool, we're having the hubs drilled 8x6.5 so it's just a matter of figuring out which rotor and caliper to use I guess? Will any caliper rotor combo work without a bracket?

The kit I proposed to Torq would use the standard Chevy 1/2 & 3/4 ton single piston calipers. So it just comes down to them figuring out a rotor and building a caliper bracket. Pretty sure this is what Lugnut4x4 is working on as well.

My 09s front caliper is crazy huge. On my 2000 tj so can only imagine what other mods I need to power these.
5617c3da0cff09b9a137abca724a6e50.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I sent lugnut a 450/550 C & knuckle to develop with. Hopefully, there will be something coming along soon.

offroadman83 said:
My 09s front caliper is crazy huge. On my 2000 tj so can only imagine what other mods I need to power these.
5617c3da0cff09b9a137abca724a6e50.jpg

99 dodge 2500 master cylinder should do the trick on a tj if it will bolt to the stock booster.

I use one on my xj with 99-04 axles and it stops great. I believe will "94cherokeesport" (or something like that) uses one on his 05+ axles.

Fwiw, my 05+ fronts with lugnut 14 bolt rears combined with dual 3/4 mc's does surprisingly well. Can hold facing downhill in gear without too much effort.

Re: Re: 05+ superduty disc brakes

BLGXJ said:
99 dodge 2500 master cylinder should do the trick on a tj if it will bolt to the stock booster.

I use one on my xj with 99-04 axles and it stops great. I believe will "94cherokeesport" (or something like that) uses one on his 05+ axles.
Thanks will give it a go.

I am working on this today. My problem is finding a 8x170 rotor that will work with the standard 3/4 ton caliper. Many are too thick for the caliper to fit over and others are too small and the caliper hits the knuckle. I will figure out something.

gubni said:
I am working on this today. My problem is finding a 8x170 rotor that will work with the standard 3/4 ton caliper. Many are too thick for the caliper to fit over and others are too small and the caliper hits the knuckle. I will figure out something.

I wonder what it would cost to get a run of brake rotors made to your specs, if all you needed was was a 8x170 bolt pattern put in an existing rotor blank.

gubni said:

This just occurred to me but don't limit yourself to the 8x170. I redrilled mine to 8x6.5 and a lot of others do this too so they don't have to buy new wheels. I think you'll need to offer both options eventually but if I'm being selfish here I'm most interested in the 8x6.5.

edit: Hell if you found the perfect 8x6.5 rotor that works you could always have a machine shop redrill a batch to 8x170 and mark them up slightly.

The issue is that most rotors (regardless of bolt pattern) that are large enough to fit the 05+ bearings/knuckles are 1.5" thick, rather than 1.25" needed for the ol 3/4t caliper.

Might be worth working a deal with Branik depending on what the cost of these are. From Facebook...

New BRANIK hats and rotors fit 2005 up F350-450 unit bearings, 8 on 170mm or 6.5" as well as 99-04 ubearing, and old school king pin d60's

Attachments

• 15965340_10208273753701277_2733930727164664262_n.jpg
    15965340_10208273753701277_2733930727164664262_n.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 167
gubni said:

Awesome!

redneckengineered said:
This just occurred to me but don't limit yourself to the 8x170. I redrilled mine to 8x6.5 and a lot of others do this too so they don't have to buy new wheels. I think you'll need to offer both options eventually but if I'm being selfish here I'm most interested in the 8x6.5.

I mentioned this to him in our email exchanges. I think he will be best served offering both 8x170 and 8x6.5. I was hoping for an 8x170 option b/c I'm planning on unit bearings all around and it would keep me from re-drilling. Not that it's a huge deal, just one less thing.

redneckengineered said:
Might be worth working a deal with Branik depending on what the cost of these are. From Facebook...

New BRANIK hats and rotors fit 2005 up F350-450 unit bearings, 8 on 170mm or 6.5" as well as 99-04 ubearing, and old school king pin d60's

Those are sweet BUT then we're back to aftermarket calipers, etc. Just trying to stick with parts store stuff on this one if possible.

TBItoy said:
The issue is that most rotors (regardless of bolt pattern) that are large enough to fit the 05+ bearings/knuckles are 1.5" thick, rather than 1.25" needed for the ol 3/4t caliper.
Probably not worth the hassle but I bet there's enough meat on them to take an 1/8th off both sides.

Re: Re: 05+ superduty disc brakes

Beerj said:
Probably not worth the hassle but I bet there's enough meat on them to take an 1/8th off both sides.
I'd say yes, especially for a trail rig. (And if you started with good "premium" rotors)

I think I have something figured out. I am going to work on this again tomorrow. I plan to use a smaller dual piston caliper.

gubni said:
I think I have something figured out. I am going to work on this again tomorrow. I plan to use a smaller dual piston caliper.

AWESOME! can't wait to see what you come up with!