• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Rhino 700 project

gottagofast

I recently bought a rhino 700se. It has a bad rear end and I've been researching options.
Has anyone used the niche replacement diffs?
Or anyone have a source for new or used rear diff for a rhino 700?

Also I've been finding conflicting info on applications...

Many listings specify that they fit 450, 660, or 700 and others say they fit all three...
Anyone know for sure?

THX

Re: Niche rear diff?

I have a 09 700 currently. Had a 04 660 that had been raped repeatedly and put up thoroughly used. I bought a rearend for the 660. I rebuild the 700 rearend December 2016. I highly recommend rebuilding them. Can order a rearend kit (fits all 450, 660, and 700) cheap. I ran across an "all balls" kit for $35 from ebay. Had I not busted the pinion housing trying to get the pinion out would have had it done for less than $50. The hardest thing was getting the pinion bearing ( needle bearing race) out of the housing. The pinion housing can be purchased seperate if you bust it like I did. Pm me if ya want details to help avoid my calamity.

Thx... I'm pretty sure mine has busted teeth so that adds to the cost plus it's with a buddy out of town n he's more of a parts swapper than a rebuilder...

The one you bought, oem or aftermarket?

I think it was oem, but it was a used piece. They are stupidly high for what they are. Should be able to find gears on Amazon or ebay fairly cheap and go ahead and get a rebuild kit. All total will probably be half price of buying a complete housing. If the main housing is busted then you dont much choice.

Check out amazon, ebay, and bikebandit before you get too much money tied up.

Thanks... Rebuild is not an option at this time... I will likely rebuild the old unit and sell it in the future but I need a replacement for now.

I used a niche cylinder for a fourwheeler. After chasing my tail with a water/oil mixing problem for a while,i finally found the problem. There was a casting flaw down in the water jacket right where the oil filter comes in. .. id try to find a stock replacement and stay clear of niche junk...

My buddy just sent me a pic.... Yup, no rebuilding this one!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 486

Make sure to check mounting brackets. When I got my 660 it had been raped repeatedly and the mounts had been repaired before and were not done right. After finding this I called trail armor for a kit and brace. The brace is not much but does what it needs to and never had any trouble after it was installed.

I will see if I can find pics of brace and brackets.

The bad looking stuff was when I 1st got it. The nice bare metal was the repair. Notice the brace on bottom right. It is cheap insurance not to twist/break another rear housing.

Attachments

• rhino2.jpg
    rhino2.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 691
  • rhino.jpg
    rhino.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 705
  • rhino3.jpg
    rhino3.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 690

I have yet to even see my rhino in person... Prolly be a couple more months.

I sure hope I don't find a bunch if that type of stuff.

I hope you dont either. it about made sick when I found out all that was really wrong and I had overlooked. Now I know and try to pass it along. Cost me $$$$ to get it fixed right.

I'm starting to seriously consider telling my buddy to just put it up till I can pick it up...
I had planned on letting him use it till then but I may just need to tear it down and go all through it myself.

Well after thinking on it I decided to get it going for now...
Didn't have any luck finding a used one from a seller w good feedback so decided to gamble on the niche part...
He's gonna slap it in and go ream the heck out of it right away... If it holds up, good deal but if it blows we'll file a claim w paypal.

Will update later on..... Thx for the input guys.

Update.... yeah he never got time to touch it...

I just got it picked up n tossed the niche diff in.... had a hard time lining up bolts till I found out why the diff broke.... someone hooked up a chain to the rear crossmember next to the diff mount and litterally ripped the diff in half while bending that crossmember a bit....

Got it together n took a quick test drive... so far so good but will need to go through the whole machine before riding it much.....

Got any pick of the new differential? Wanna get rid of the old broke diff?