• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Straightening an axle

stano

Here's the deal, pickle. I have a HP Dyna Trac 60 rear in the Jeep. It's been suspect for some time of being bent. Pretty sure it is for sure now. My question is, if i get an alignment bar, how hard is it to cut off the old (very narrow) truss, straighten and put a full width truss on? I have never tried to straighten and axle. I'm guessing chain it down to the welding table and bottle jack til straight?

Any help is appreciated.

All good info, the more I look at it, I think it's just the pass side. So i think im gonna cut the old narrow truss off and use the jack/chain method. Any body have a good source for an alignment bar? I can source the pucks locally. I think the bar is just hyd cylinder shaft, can any one confirm that rumor?

The easiest way is weld half way around the axle on the opposit side of the bend. The contraction of the weld cooling will pull it right in place. Now you will have to grind off the weld and weld several times, but it will pull it. If you want to know how much you can pull? I had a 69 camero 12 bolt ( very rare) that was bent so bad that when I slid the axle in it touched the seal way before getting to where the bearing rode. I knew the bowed axle wouldn't live long behind a 427, so a few passes with some 7018, walla!

zukimaster said:
^^^^ Thats amazing!
X's 2 for sure.

I picked up a new truss tonight from Rock Solid fab. Hope to pull it and see what I'm dealing with in the not too distant future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keep In mind stano, when you weld, it expands, when it cools it contracts. Keep a wet shop rag and cool it before checking for straightness. If it doesn't go where you want t to, weld beside and cool again. When finished grind it down. the video is moving the gauge while welding. That means it's going away from the weld.

Got started straightening this. Figured I'd update this just in case it helped anybody else.

I made a jig to get my top link mounts back in the same place.

64b85f36f47bdffa039cc4b1b376adf0.jpg

01b8159f6a9eb07dfa3f088ec3f5e709.jpg

Cut the old truss off

8403619d4d51d8c4dab248219677b69b.jpg

And test fit the new one.

fa474fbcf6c8174cacb584bb03dd2035.jpg

I slid my bad in and it looks like it's about 1/4" low in the center. Gonna get some pucks made and check it for sure next week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts