• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

What's the oldest vehicle you have ever driven?

67 fairlane that was originally purchased in Hawaii by someone in the military, came factory no heater box or blower motor, bought it on a cold rainy day and drove it home a hour. Damn near froze my fingers off trying to keep windshield clean, definitely not a Ohio car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

creepycrawly said:
Chasman wins. He told me that he drive the first one...ever! :flipoff1:

They didn't have wheels back then, just round rocks like Fred and Wilma did it. :****:

ADMINISTRATOR

fabricator1 said:
The kids I work with that are under 30 years old don't even know what a carburetor is :****:

I'm under 30 and no expert, but the older guys try talking about car stuff at work and I have to bite my tongue 90% of the time.

DallasBlade said:
I'm under 30 and no expert, but the older guys try talking about car stuff at work and I have to bite my tongue 90% of the time.

x2 (well I'm 31 but whatever)

The "good ol day" nostalgia stuff drives me crazy.

example

NO - Your stock 67 Tempest on slotted mags didn't run a 9 sec 1/4 mile
NO - Your stock axled 12" lifted 75 K5 Blazer didnt' have 45" Gumbo mudders and "posi track" front and rear.

TBItoy said:
x2 (well I'm 31 but whatever)

The "good ol day" nostalgia stuff drives me crazy.

example

NO - Your stock 67 Tempest on slotted mags didn't run a 9 sec 1/4 mile
NO - Your stock axled 12" lifted 75 K5 Blazer didnt' have 45" Gumbo mudders and "posi track" front and rear.

:rolf: :rolf:
One guy "built" a small block with a holley carb that raised the front tires on whatever he put it in. The way he talks, you could put that motor in a tri axle dump truck and raise the front tires with a 1/4 time of 9 seconds.

June dog said:
They don't just raise the front tires... it will clear pop bottles.
:rolf:
I work with one kid that's 22 and another that's 27. Neither have driven a carbureted vehicle. One of them actually got in a customers truck that was 3 on the tree. I guess he didn't notice the clutch pedal because he thought it was an automatic and just turned the key. There's no neutral safety or clutch switch back then so it jumped 3 feet ahead. Funny as hell

I've got a '27 T, but it wasnt built until the '60's!

Real OEM 1930 Cadillac that belonged to my dad a while back. He drove it once around the block, I drove it several thousand miles over 5 years. He couldnt get the clutch to engage with his short legs was his claim.

It was the same size as a Suburban and weighed 5k, when Model A's of the same year weighed half that.
IMG_3570.jpg

fabricator1 said:
:rolf:
I work with one kid that's 22 and another that's 27. Neither have driven a carbureted vehicle. One of them actually got in a customers truck that was 3 on the tree. I guess he didn't notice the clutch pedal because he thought it was an automatic and just turned the key. There's no neutral safety or clutch switch back then so it jumped 3 feet ahead. Funny as hell

My managers son is filling in for our clean up guy this week. He went to move a fiat into,the clean up bay. He sat down in it and kinda scratched his head for a second then got out and had to go get his dad to move it for him. It's a 5 speed and he had no clue how to drive it. He's 20. It's a dam shame how clueless some of the younger generation is.

Had a 23 t bucket. 350 chevy one ofr the only rides ive had that scared me. Get on the gas the front end would pick up. Front suspension would just keep unloading but the front tires stayed on the ground. Lite as hell. Would fly.
Had a 20 sumthin kid workn for me. Asked him to move a ride we were workn on and asked what the third pedal was for......

June dog said:
They don't just raise the front tires... it will clear pop bottles.

Only if it was a 62 Impala with an old race car motor. It'd twist the lugs off too. laughing1
Might have heard that from my great grandfather growing up.

I'm under 30 and have set points, but hell most anyone here is going to be a statistical outlier. :flipoff1:

InDaShop said:
I've got a '27 T, but it wasnt built until the '60's!

Real OEM 1930 Cadillac that belonged to my dad a while back. He drove it once around the block, I drove it several thousand miles over 5 years. He couldnt get the clutch to engage with his short legs was his claim.

It was the same size as a Suburban and weighed 5k, when Model A's of the same year weighed half that.
IMG_3570.jpg

Are those true wood spoke wheels Wyatt? Beautiful machine and lucky to drive it. :dblthumb: What's the latest on the Bonneville Salts running?

ADMINISTRATOR

Zjman said:
67 fairlane that was originally purchased in Hawaii by someone in the military, came factory no heater box or blower motor, bought it on a cold rainy day and drove it home a hour. Damn near froze my fingers off trying to keep windshield clean, definitely not a Ohio car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Opposite/less cool story from me. My current parts runner is a 96 ranger, came from Alaska, Northland edition. Huge heater, 5 block heaters T'd into one plug, no AC option, nothing related to AC on the vehicle.

50 something Ford tractor I used to help my grandpa out on the farm with when I was a kid. Drove it to the store a few times for a coke so I rekon that counts.
About 30 mph it got real scary and front end would shake like an XJ with no track bar! molaugh

A buddy had a early 40's willy 2a. It was like driving a rzr but with no power. He also have a 3b we took to harlan one weekend. I have never had so much fun as we did raising hell running around in that thing.