• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Field serviceable or crimped hydro steering hoses ???

Puppy

I have no experience with the field serviceable type hose and fittings. Just wanting some feedback.

I do have considerable experience with the crimped fittings and have never had any trouble.

Full hydro steering with hydroboost is the application.

I've ran "field serviceable" for quite a while. Simply because that's what PSC sends. I've used crimped style on fork lifts and other equipment for work. I can see where the field serviceable could be a problem if not installed correctly or maybe over time cause issues.

Field service all day long

The first time you bust a hose on a Saturday night and the local napa is open from 9am-1030am, good luck crimping your own fittings with a pair pliers

You don't even have to carry spare fittings. Just a roll of hose in your truck box, hack saw and a couple wrenches and your wheeling again that night.

F/S for sure. All my hoses are -6. I made my fuel cell vent longer than any of my other hoses. If need be I can sacrifice it to be used for a repair. I also carry some hose and random extra fittings.

I have seen a few field service fittings leak and get fubared in a trail. No crimped fittings did that.

I'd run crimped everywhere and bring 6ft of field service hose and a few fittings in the spare parts box just in case.

I'll add that you can build a hose with Fservice fittings incorrectly and I would guess that's why you see random leaks.

If you over tighten your outer ferrel you rip the outer sheath of the hose. Combine that with standard PSC hose and they will leak and have problems.

If you step up 500-1,000psi rating in your hose it will hold much tighter in the outer ferrel. The key is not tightening as hard as you can.

You run it until it bottoms inside the Ferrell and quit. Then the inner will tighten down to the outer. Done

That setup will handle 3 times the max pressure your system can ever produce

Field service all the way ive had them for awhile and no leaks! busted a hose last year at Hawk Pride and was able to fix it and keep riding.

X2 on the Field serviceable hoses...that is the only type of hoses that i have on mine (Toyota box with Hydro Assist)

I carry a full set of hoses for box and the Ram...they don't really take up a lot of room and like others have said they are easy to make up when you are in the middle of no where.

i cut mine with a cut off wheel on the grinder so it is a "clean cut" and none of them have leaked...i think it is important to get the cut good and SQUARE so they fit correctly.

Also you can just make up the spares (HOSE ONLY) you need at home and throw them in your tool bag so you have them ready to go when you need them, that way you save a step when you have to repair them....more than likely in the dark or the worst possible time.

I have ran both and had a few minor issues with the f/s fittings. Never had a problem with crimped, but i do keep a spare set of all hoses in the truck just in case.
Pros/cons to both. Pick your poision

I would also like to add that the Field Serviceable Hose ends are supposed to be used with Hose that is for F/S fittings. This type of Hose is sized to work correctly with the F/S type of fitting....this may be the reason some people have had issues with leaks...

I ran into this when i was looking to buy hydraulic hose so i could have a Full set of spares. My local Hydraulic place could not get the correct hose to use with the Field Serviceable fittings....so i ordered the correct hose for Field Serviceable fittings from PSC, That is where my Steering kit came from to start with.

I just thought this was worth throwing out there, it may save someone some issues in the future.

Re:

We order hose and fittings from discounthydraulichose.com

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Ok I'm just gonna slap the dead horse real quick and I'm done.

I use a higher working pressure hose now after I split the PSC hose "designed" for the field service fittings. The higher pressure hose gave more steel strands and a slightly larger outer diameter. Same inner diameter though.

Made my outer ferrel fit tighter plus I got a smidge more abrasion protection.

Ok done, promise

The FS fittings cost quite a bit more. But I found that I could buy the FS fittings and hose to make my own for the same price as having the local Parker store crimp them. And now for repairs all I have to buy is the hose hopefully.

One other nice thing about using FS fittings is you can install the fittings on the ports and cut the hose to route and fit perfectly when plumbing a rig.